Question of the day

Well, the Grumman Mallard incorporates floats that also double as fuel tanks, so this would definitely increase the range over other seaplanes that use the standard combo of retractable wheels/floats...plus these floats can be removed for land/snow based operations so this technically answers your question!

There may be more than one answer to this question. For example, the Grumman UF/HU-16 Albatros also used floats that could carry fuel, allowing it further range than it's land based counterpart...

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

Well, the Grumman Mallard incorporates floats that also double as fuel tanks, so this would definitely increase the range over other seaplanes that use the standard combo of retractable wheels/floats...plus these floats can be removed for land/snow based operations so this technically answers your question!

There may be more than one answer to this question. For example, the Grumman UF/HU-16 Albatros also used floats that could carry fuel, allowing it further range than it's land based counterpart...

You do know your amphibs, got to say that.

I am looking for an aircraft that has a greater max weight from water then from land. A very rare thing.

Trick question?

ANY LSA-approved amphibian MAY operate at a higher takeoff weight from water than from land. FAA regs state

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:

(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than—

(i) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or

(ii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on water.

Nowhere in the regs does it state that an amphibian cannot be certificated as a land-based aircraft - the explicit statement being `intended use`. So remove the extra water equipment and bouyancy aids and the seaplane is now a landplane. But still the same plane. Therefore it is perfectly possible to certificate a seaplane for use exclusively from land, but be restricted to 1,320 pounds rather than the `water` weight of 1,430 pounds. Daft, but entirely possible...

• Aerosoft

Trick question?

ANY LSA-approved amphibian MAY operate at a higher takeoff weight from water than from land. FAA regs state

Nowhere in the regs does it state that an amphibian cannot be certificated as a land-based aircraft - the explicit statement being `intended use`. So remove the extra water equipment and bouyancy aids and the seaplane is now a landplane. But still the same plane. Therefore it is perfectly possible to certificate a seaplane for use exclusively from land, but be restricted to 1,320 pounds rather than the `water` weight of 1,430 pounds. Daft, but entirely possible...

Not intended as a trick question...

As far as I know there is only one aircraft that has a higher allowed gross weight in water operations then in land operation.

Is it this?

Grumman G-64/111 Albatross

http://www.airliners...ats.main?id=233

G-111 - Operating empty 10,660kg (23,500lb), max takeoff from land 13,880kg (30,605lb), max takeoff from water 14,225kg (31,365lb).

G-111Range with 28 passengers and reserves 750km (405nm) from water or 505km (273nm) from land, max ferry range with no reserves 2740km (1480nm).

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Is it this?

Grumman G-64/111 Albatross

http://www.airliners...ats.main?id=233

G-111 - Operating empty 10,660kg (23,500lb), max takeoff from land 13,880kg (30,605lb), max takeoff from water 14,225kg (31,365lb).

G-111Range with 28 passengers and reserves 750km (405nm) from water or 505km (273nm) from land, max ferry range with no reserves 2740km (1480nm).

Bingo, we got a winner, just when I was thinking we had a question that was too difficult.

Forgot to ask: Did I win something?

EDIT

Saw the post in another thread.

Now is it possible to choose a product that hasn't yet been released but that you are going to sell as a download product or does it have to be released already (not that there wouldn't be extremely interesting products Aerosoft has released)? (I'm interested in the Simcheck Airbus)