Question About Fuel Dump

bin801

I can hardly to accelerate it and climb, so I think maybe that is due to the full loaded fuel, then I turn the fuel dump switch. then I cry... my Catalina only dump fuel from left tank

and I did search in cockpit and manu,

can I dump from right tank? or first choice, can I dump fuel from both tanks simutaniously?

and is there any fuel cross feed swith can balance the Cat?

thanks

and BTW, with full power used, the highest speed I can reached during climb is 11, lower than the data show in manu,how come?

and many times, even I use stage method to climb, but I still can not reach the ceiling 15,000 ft, even 11,000

is that because the fuel load is too heavy?

thanks

I can hardly to accelerate it and climb, so I think maybe that is due to the full loaded fuel, then I turn the fuel dump switch. then I cry... my Catalina only dump fuel from left tank

and I did search in cockpit and manu,

can I dump from right tank? or first choice, can I dump fuel from both tanks simutaniously?

and is there any fuel cross feed swith can balance the Cat?

thanks

and BTW, with full power used, the highest speed I can reached during climb is 11, lower than the data show in manu,how come?

and many times, even I use stage method to climb, but I still can not reach the ceiling 15,000 ft, even 11,000

is that because the fuel load is too heavy?

thanks

There is only one fueldump valve.

On the real Catalinas, they some could only dump from the left and some from the right tank - not both.

In the Aerosoft version You start dumping the Left and when that is empty the right will be emptied.

You should be able to limb with full fuel.

Check hat You have 2700 RPM and 42 inHg MAP.

If You have any hardware axis' assigned to "Spoiler" - either ensure it is fully retracted or unassign it.

Finn

There is only one fueldump valve.

On the real Catalinas, they some could only dump from the left and some from the right tank - not both.

In the Aerosoft version You start dumping the Left and when that is empty the right will be emptied.

You should be able to limb with full fuel.

If You have any hardware axis' assigned to "Spoiler" - either ensure it is fully retracted or unassign it.

Finn

Thanks Finn for your reply

about the fuel dumping, as you said left first and then right, do you mean when fuel dump start, the aircraft will absolutly roll to right?

is there any crossfeed switch can balance the aircraft?

thanks alot

and BTW, if no crossfeed in cockpit, as the real life menu show, it is in the engineer place, could you make a simulation crossfeed switch in a hidden place in next patch?

Finn

This brings up another question - I am at work and don't have the manual handy to look there but - I use a CH yoke and throttle quadrant and have the throttle/Props/Mix mapped accordingly. Following your guidelines I leave the props and mixture at full 'high' or 'rich'.

How then am I to adjust the RPM? The throttle will adjust manifold which will slightly affect the RPM but is there no manual adjust for prop pitch, ie RPM? Or are you using the throttle to adjust the MAP and RPM simultaneously?

I promise I'll reread the manual when I get home! :)

EDIT: Couldn't wait so I do/l the manual. Seems I misread something, the mixture controls stay full forward but the prop controls work as expected.

Vic

This brings up another question - I am at work and don't have the manual handy to look there but - I use a CH yoke and throttle quadrant and have the throttle/Props/Mix mapped accordingly. Following your guidelines I leave the props and mixture at full 'high' or 'rich'.

How then am I to adjust the RPM? The throttle will adjust manifold which will slightly affect the RPM but is there no manual adjust for prop pitch, ie RPM? Or are you using the throttle to adjust the MAP and RPM simultaneously?

I promise I'll reread the manual when I get home! :)

EDIT: Couldn't wait so I do/l the manual. Seems I misread something, the mixture controls stay full forward but the prop controls work as expected.

Vic

Only the mixture levers should be kept full forward.

Propeller levers should be assigned to Your hardware levers and offcourse used to adjust RPM.

Finn

hmm, i use ch yoke, and with my prop axis i can reduce rpm very well.

Yes - thats what I´m trying to tell in my former post.

Propeller levers can be assigned and used just like on all other aircraft.

Fin

• Aerosoft
Yes - thats what I´m trying to tell in my former post.

Propeller levers can be assigned and used just like on all other aircraft.

Fin

To enhance on this, if you flatten the prop they get less 'bite' and RPM will rise. When you pitch the blades so they 'bite' more they will have much more drag and this will reduce the RPM. So in that sense the prop pitch lever does control RPM.

If you change the pop setting in level flight you rpm will always change.

• 3 weeks later...
Ive got loads of power!! (sorry for small screenshot)

Is it an edit or for an update? :huh:

On the subject of fuel dumping - is it OK to fly with such an asymmetric loading, or is this an abnormal procedure? :huh:

Best regards,

Robin.

Is it an edit or for an update? :huh:

On the subject of fuel dumping - is it OK to fly with such an asymmetric loading, or is this an abnormal procedure? :huh:

Best regards,

Robin.

I guess the purpose of the fueldump on the Cat, was if it was battle damaged during WW2. Only one of the fueltanks whas seflfsealing on most of the Cat's.

If the non sealed tank was hit, balance could be kept by dumping fuel.

Finn

The fuel dump is a pretty cumb thing in fsx. <_<

First you cannot choose which tank should be emptied, then the aircraft balance is 100% weird whily dumping. Try it by parking your aircraft on ground. Start dumping. Although the aircraft would be expected to lean more and more to the right (because left tank is emptied first), it starts to lean right, then suddenly raises again, leans again,...

From that you can see that the fuel weight calculations are all messed up in FSX. There's nothing an aircraft developer could do about this, not even those genius aliens ( :D ) that made the Cat.