Vista Support

Hello Folks,

Anyone running any of the gear Vybhava mentions above on Windows 7 and can comment please.

Hello Shaun,

I tried the Catalina on my Win7 test-configuration without any problems. It works very well.

All my other hardware (CH-Yoke, pedals, CP-Flight MCP, Saitek-Throttles) also works well- only TrackIR4 cannot be used at this time with Windows7.

Best regards from germany

Lars

Hello sarahben,

You must have missed this thread here.

There's a workaround there if the "Run As Administrator" trick doesn't do it.

Hi Shaun,you are a legend mate,i tried the ''run as administrator''trick and it works like charm.thanks for your help,this is an awesome aircraft!

Hi,

I'm using Vista 32 with 4gb ram (3gb usable) and I'm not getting any issues what so ever.

I did get some OOM errors with VFR London but since tweaking the memory allocation It's fine as well.

I do have a dedicated PC for FSX and have everything possible turned off (in background) which helps.

As I'm not getting any problems I think I will wait to see if Windows 7 has any compatability issues before I decide on an upgrade in maybe 6 - 12 months.

The Catalina flys perfectly, no FPS hit and looks pretty. I have most sliders middle or maxed. My system is a 2.4 Quad with 8800GT Nvidia 512 card. I also use Track IR.

My FPS is around 15fps in built up areas and 30 fps in all other areas. True this isn't very many frames but is still smooth as silk with no stutters.

Thanks,

Ted.

post-23669-1242111747_thumb.jpg

post-23669-1242111756_thumb.jpg

Hello Folks,

Anyone running any of the gear Vybhava mentions above on Windows 7 and can comment please.

Hey Folks,

I did it last week, just after Release of the precious Cat. It took me about 6 hours to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 RC,

refreshed FSX, SP1+2 and all my Add-ons. At the end of the day I was pleased, so far it is a stable system, all my programs

work quiet well even without reinstallation, I had only get rid of my AntiVirus and get me a Kapersky AntiVirus for W7 for free.

But the best thing is: FSX is a lot faster now and more stable (even when you get this annoying update pop-ups from Java, Acrobat

Reader etc. it doesn´t interfere with FSX, just switched back and go on again. TrackIR is working as well on my machine.

Booting the system took a bit longer now, I guess, but for the result it is worth to wait.

Here my System Specs: 2,4 DualCore

4Gigs

Nvidia 8800GTS (yes, there is driver out now!)

So far the whole action was profitable to me, bad thing I have to do it again next year

and this time probably to pay for the software, I hope it is not that much.

So, I have to jump back in the Calypso, love that aircraft, thx again for so many highlights in simulation as a customer,

and especially to Mr. Kok thanks for the Windows7 hint!!!

Yes there are problems with TrackIR 4 at the moment, but I found that the newer software version (5 beta 3) does run ok - just choose the "smooth" profile and you are set to go.

On the other hand, I have SEVERE problems with the latest Nvidia Win7 drivers and my GTX285 - it introduces extreme popping and crackling to the sound card.

All in all, I think Win7 is a mixed bag so far...

• 2 weeks later...
Nvidia 8800GTS (yes, there is driver out now!)

So far the whole action was profitable to me, bad thing I have to do it again next year

and this time probably to pay for the software, I hope it is not that much.

I bet we're gonna pay a heavy price, as MS knows they have a brilliant piece of software for sale. They know how to price their stuff..

Windows vista 64 bit has worked well for me so far. I used to have a lot of OOM and CTD (Crash To Desktop; which is the same OOM that could not be registered) with Vista 32 bits. Some people say that they don't have any problems with vista 32 but that's only because they've been lucky, period. Tecnically Vista 32 bits is plagued by limitations in memory for FSX. Believe me, you lucky customers are a minority because this a well known issue. Seems that the more powerful your rig is the more problems arise in windows vista 32 bits.

I'm happy with my win vista 64 bits install cause I've had neither OOM nor CTD errors with only 2GB of RAM, a 512MB videocard, plenty of addons installed, a heavily fragmented disk, situations like running manhattanX, REX and FSDT KJFK Flying the Captain SIM 757 having as low as 5 fps, of course, but a very stable system. No CTD/OOM at all and without messing around with the fsx.cfg yet.

Anyway, I'll try win7 RC since it's said that it performs better.

Hi all,

I find this discussion very interesting, and would like to ask a couple of things.

With Vista 32 and 4GB RAM, FSX crashed always (mostly during the landing procedure, which was quite frustrating) with the OOM error. Somewhere I red that changing the VAS (Virtual Address Space) should improve this, and it really did.

With Vista 64 and 8GB RAM, normally no crashes occur anymore and I like this system software.

Now, Matthijs seems to favour W7 RC. So I downloaded the 64 bit version and installed it on my old computer to try it out. Up until now I'm impressed by it's simplicity compared to Vista and I like that.

Still I am not sure, if it is worth to install it on my new computer, because I have to do a full reinstall of FSX and all of the add-ons, which are many. Of course I could play for almost a year with it, but then it's over, and must I install the final version with possible a full new install of all the FSX stuff. Also, I don't know if W7 works with my 8800GTX.

My question is: Should I install W7? Is the 64bit version better as the 32bit version ofW7? Is there a 8800GTX-driver for W7? and finally: Could I upgrade the W7 RC with a final version of 7, without loss of data?

Thanks for all information sofar and thanks for an advice.

Henk Altena