CumulusX!

Peter Lürkens

Peter,

Here is a screen capture of the next screen in that error message. I did report it to Microsoft but no reply so far.

Don

I tried to capture the contents of the data but the file was too big. It was huge.

post-461-1193768331.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... if you would like me to test, let me know.

A hearty welcome to you! Of course, as stated above every help in testing and identifying bugs is welcome. I personally I'm totally inexperienced in windows programming. I wrote altogether 3 windows programs, the first about 15 years ago, which was a tiny RS232-based userinterface for a power supply ín Turbopascal for Windows 1.0, second an emulation of my old SR56 in Java about 10 years ago and now CumulusX in VS2005 VB.NET. I was a while pretty active in embedded software based on Assembler Z80, 8051, C and various Pascal dialects. JCSDAT and CUMULUS! are in Freepascal.

When the software gets released after all the alpha and beta testing, will it be able to be minimized off the desktop.

I think so, perhaps it will be even integrated in FSX' Menu, but this still way down the road. I currently put it just in the background. I didn't est the impact on FPS yet, but it seems negligible, at least if you switch off the debug checkbox. You can also change FSX to full screen more, if you like.

Indeed, the first bigger problem now is no that of Don, who failed to start the CumulusX ececutable. Most probably something is missing in the distributable. Even the simconnect module shouldn't be relevant, since at that time it is even activated yet.

best regards,

Peter

Hello Guys,

time to say hello.

As beeing involved in software development every working day, I thought I probably might be able to help Peter with some further information. That's just if he want's another alpha-tester.

My only problem is that I left out some versions of MSFS (think it was FS3 to FSX). I enjoy soaring around in FSX, usually in multiplayer mode with some fellows from all over the world. I think that's one great new feature. Okay, I must admit, for me everything is new and obviously great too.

Enough. Peter aka Funky, if you would like me to test, let me know.

Best Regards from Germany,

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

So reading these posts is the reason why you didn't show on FSX-multiplayer for a week now.

Bert (bruin=BravoRomeoTango) :winks:

Don,

possibly I screwed up the project configuration. Still I'm wondering why the other guys can run it (and myself, too). Nevertheless, here is a new version which (hopefully) the project configuration from a sample from the FSX SDK, and hoepfully working-

In addition I have the SDK sample compiled, too, out of the box. Could you try to run this, too? If this works, it has really something to do with my code, if not, it might be an issue with your installation.

Unfortunately there is no precompiled executable, so even if it not works there might be an issue with my project or project settings.

BTW, what is your processor and OS configuration? Something with a 64bit?

best regards,

Peter

Edit: Attachments removed because of final release

Hi Peter,

Oke, you have got yourself a VISTA-tester here. Here is my first test-report:

I Installed v0.31 and copied the demo-slo file from CCS2004 to test (Keel Mtn Sloape Soaring, the slo-file is called N34.50W86.50.slo) into the folder fsx\modules\cumulusX! (where the cumulusX.exe is).

As I understand from the CSSmanual N34.50W86.50 is the most southwest-point of the slope area of that slo.file, so I started FSX, moved the modified DG800 to N34.51W86.42, put FSX in windowed mode and started CumulusX.exe (with admin.rights, just in case). The program opened correctly (hé, it also works under VISTA!!!!). Then I pushed the connect-button, and the disconnect-button became active. So far so good. Then I pushed the Switch to Slope-button, and it became red. I moved the sailplane in different LAT/LON-positions north-east of the start-position and tried the Slope-button again and again, but it stayed red. Also after disconnecting and reconnecting to FSX the Slope-button went red again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Bert

Peter,

I tried both of the files with same results. Karen tried the files on her computer and they would not open on hers either. My processor is a p4 2.6 ghz Intel. My OS is Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Karen is running a dual core processor and Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

Don

Hi Peter,

Oke, you have got yourself a VISTA-tester here.

The program opened correctly (hé, it also works under VISTA!!!!).

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think so, I'll check it tonight, maybe there is still a bug in decoding.

Nice to hear it starting in Vista!

best regards, Peter

I tried both of the files with same results. Karen tried the files on her computer and they would not open on hers either.

It's starting to get a bit weird. As Bert and Scott can open at least the program I strongly assume a problem with your local conditions, probably with the .NET environment. I'm running a bit out of ideas what the reason could be.

regards,

Peter

Is anyone else who can open CumulusX in Windows XP also using Service Pack 2?

If you mean XP SP2 my answer is yes. Do you already have FS SP2 then Scott apparently has it.

In the SDK only .Net 2.0 is mentioned.

I'm not sure about it, but I think a DLL conflict, could be relevant only when a function call into actually happens.

I will prepare a 'Hello World' for you, Don, without any reference to FSX, just to check that. Today it's too late. I missed my commuter train, still sitting at the station, waiting for the next one.

I have the rest of the weak off, so I hope to make some progress tomorrow onwards.

best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, (Bert, Don...)

first, to give you an overview:

My Computer runs

XP Home with SP2,

.NET Frameworks 1.0.3705 German, 1.0 Hotfix KB928367, 2.0, 2.0 Language Pack DEU, 3.0, 3.0 Languagepack DEU

on an 2.4GHz Intel Pentium IV (Low Budget PC: noname OEM Mainboard, 768MB RAM PC6200, XFX GeForce 6200 with 512Mb RAM)

FSX runs with 17 FPS locked (with or without CumulusX!, doesn't matter!)

FSX SP1 installed

FSUIPC running, Object Placement Tool and Traffic Toolbox (SDK components) active, as usual

Additional information for you Peter: I have installed Visual Studio 2005 Pro and an (inactive) SQL Server 2005 on this machine also.

Okay, my first try:

Started FSX

Started Flight

Switched FSX to Window-Mode

Moved Plane to slope area (in my case: around S43.25E171.00) via slew mode

then Started up CumulusX! (V0.32)

Connected to FSX

Turned On Slope (Button got RED)

Switched Back to FSX and flew around.

Did it work? I don't really know. Therefor I'll add a screenshot

With deepest programmers respect

Dirk.

Peter/Don,

Can you help me out, because I am new to working with slope-files.

I downloaded ccs_soar_ranch_andes_sa_4x4......zip from avsim and extracted it. It gave me 16 .dat-files which I placed in the CCS2004\import folder. Then I opened FS2004 and launched CCS2004. The .dat-files were imported correctly, said CCS2004 (16 times). Then I moved the sailplane to the same spot as in Don's attached screenspot in his earlier post (the one with the error-message). I flew a bit around and got slope-lift at some places. So my conclusion was: in FS2004 they work correctly. But I also had expected that in the import-process the .dat-files would have been converted to .slo-files, but nothing had happened to the .dat-files. And when I restarted FS2004 and CCS2004 the import-proces restarted also (again 16 messages of a successfull import of a .dat-file).

Then I tried the .dat-files in FSX and CumulusX, but without result; the "switch to slope-"button in CumulusX went to red and no slope-lift was found.

So my question to you CCS2004-veterans: how can I convert the .dat-files to .slo-files, so I can use them with FSX and CumulusX?

Bert

... so I started FSX, moved the modified DG800 to N34.51W86.42, ...

Hi Bert,

in the western hemisphere the rightmost ('easternmost') corner has a degree-number that is less than the westernmost corner. Consequently, the slope-tile N34.50W086.50.slo is covering the area from N34.5-N34.75, W86.5-W86.25. Your position aboce is outside the tile.

Made the same mistake, too, initially ...

best regards,

Peter

But I also had expected that in the import-process the .dat-files would have been converted to .slo-files, but nothing had happened to the .dat-files.

Normally, the dat-files are moved by CCS2004 from the import-folder to the archive folder. At the same time there are many more slo-files created in the folder "slope data" in the CCS2204 program folder.

Currently, CumulusX uses only the slope files found the folder where the CumulusX.exe resides. So one option is to copy or move the slo-files from the slope data folder from CCS2004 into the folder with CumulusX.exe.

An easier way is to copy the three CumulusX-files into the slope-data folder of CCS2004, different from the readme. It's an alpha version, still ...

best regards,

Peter

Moved Plane to slope area (in my case: around S43.25E171.00) via slew mode

Hi Dirk,

the red button indicates, that CumulusX was not able to find an appropriatze slo-file. You need to create these slope-files currently by importing an appropriate DAT-file by help of CCS2004. Pleas look also at the previous posts.

BTW: For importing it is not necessary to start FS9, before executing CCS2004. If there is any file in the import folder CCS2004 will import them first and then trying to connect to FS. It will also connect to FSX by means of FSUIPC 4 and run apparently ok, but lift will not be effective.

best regards,

Peter

Hi Don,

here is a minimal program that does not refer to anything with FSX at all and shout just test if it is possible to run any VB.NET code on your machines. If it works it should display "Hello World" in a message box.

If so, you may also copy the simconnect.dll from the first release into the cumulus.exe-directory, and then try again. Though, I'm almost sure that you have the appropriate DLLs in place anyway. Just in case ...

best regards,

Peter

post-176-1193914849.jpg

HelloWorld.zip

Hi Bert,

in the western hemisphere the rightmost ('easternmost') corner has a degree-number that is less than the westernmost corner. Consequently, the slope-tile N34.50W086.50.slo is covering the area from N34.5-N34.75, W86.5-W86.25. Your position aboce is outside the tile.

Made the same mistake, too, initially ...

best regards,

Peter

Peter,

???N34.51W86.42 is outside the area of N34.50-N34.75, W86.5-W86.25??? Correct me (again) if I'm wrong, but I think it's within the area.

Bert

Normally, the dat-files are moved by CCS2004 from the import-folder to the archive folder. At the same time there are many more slo-files created in the folder "slope data" in the CCS2204 program folder.

Currently, CumulusX uses only the slope files found the folder where the CumulusX.exe resides. So one option is to copy or move the slo-files from the slope data folder from CCS2004 into the folder with CumulusX.exe.

An easier way is to copy the three CumulusX-files into the slope-data folder of CCS2004, different from the readme. It's an alpha version, still ...

best regards,

Peter

Peter,

Hallelujah, it works. For some stupid reason yesterday the .datfiles didn't convert to 'slo-files in CCS2004, but tonight they just did (started CCS2004 without FS2004). And the button in CumulusX went green and I flew in FSX on slope-lift for some time (and heavy sink too, by the way). It works awesome now.

So Peter, you have got yourself another satisfied tester. Waiting for further instructions. Next step could be to setup a multiplayer-session in FSX and fly the Andes 4x4 area in multiplayermode to see if it's still working then. (In the meantime I think I'm going to download all the CCS-files I can find at avsim and try them :winks: ).

Bert

Correct me (again) if I'm wrong, but I think it's within the area.

Hi Bert,

ehem, correct. Maybe we both made the same mistake. FSX map window and the status line indicate the position in degrees/minutes. So it's easy to get confused which position is actually meant.

In your case I have interpreted the number as the usual indication of degrees/minutes, then the decimal degrees are:

N34°51' W86° 42' --> N34.85 W86.7 (not ok)

which is actually out of the bounds of the tile. At my side, at least, I cannot reproduce a problem. If I position at N34°51' W86°42' I'm getting a red button. Indeed, if I position at N34.51W86.42 I'm getting a green one.

N34.51° W86.42° --> N34°30.6' W86°25 (is ok, as you said)

best regards,

Peter

Hi Don,

here is a minimal program that does not refer to anything with FSX at all and shout just test if it is possible to run any VB.NET code on your machines. If it works it should display "Hello World" in a message box.

If so, you may also copy the simconnect.dll from the first release into the cumulus.exe-directory, and then try again. Though, I'm almost sure that you have the appropriate DLLs in place anyway. Just in case ...

best regards,

Peter

Peter,

The "Hello World" opens fine on both of our computers, but CumulusX will not open with or without the orgional .DLL files.

Don

Oke Peter,

I get the green button with the CCS2004-demo.slo area as well.

Thanks for explaining the minutes/seconds vs decimal degree issue. I simply overlooked that one. :embaressed: Something never to forget, I guess.

Bert

Hi Don,

not sure if this is good news for you or not. At last I could reproduce the error on your machines on a computer that initially had FSX not installed.

The error still occurred after installation of FSX-RTM.

After installation of FSX SP1, the error was gone.

Since CumulusX requires FSX-SP1, I assume, that somehow the installation of FSX SP1 has not happened properly. I propose the following:

1) If FSX SP1 is not yet installed at all, just install it.

2) If FSX SP1 is installed already or 1) didn't work, I'm afraid that a complete reinstall is required. In this case uninstall everything and proceed in the following order:

a) Just in case: re-install .NET framework 2.0

\b\) Install FSX-RTM

c) Install FSX-RTM-SDK

d) Install FSX SP1

e) Install FSX-SDK-SP1a

The SDK-parts are only necessary, if you plan to develop your own FSX-content (e.g. missions, scenery, etc.), or you want to take advantage of the controllable tow-plane by means of the traffic-explorer.

please let me know, if you are successful,

best regards,

Peter

An there is a new alpha, too.

Main progress is the minimizable semitransparant application window, that will stay on top, while not minimized, mainly for debugging reasons. I fixed also the archive structure, because until now, the archive extraction did not work as described in the readme. There is also some internal code clean-up with no effect on the function (hopefully).

best regards,

Peter

Edit: Attachment removed because of final release