Vfr Germany - Keep Loosing My Small Houses

ManuelL

Hello,

I keep losing the small German houses in the VFR Germany sceneries every time I install another scenery containing specific autogen. First it was FTX that removed them, now it is VFR England GenX (I am suspecting the autogen demo for Snowdonia that was included in the DVDs). Can you please tell me

1) What file do I have to make a safety copy of before installing other sceneries to restore the houses when it happens again (some xml file?)

2) Is there any way of bringing back the autogen without having to install the complete scenery again?

(Sometimes I wonder if addon developers could agree on a way of implementing their autogen that would enable users to run the different sceneries in parallel so that you could fly between England and Germany, or Australia and Lord Howe and see both autogens without having to safe the flight in the middle, activate or deactivate files and start FSX again.)

Thanks for your help.

Manuel

I keep losing the small German houses in the VFR Germany sceneries every time I install another scenery containing specific autogen.

There's not much you can do about that as long as other installers just overwrite the default.xml with their own one without regarding what existed before. Setting in priorities won't help neither.

All you can do is opening the default.xml BEFORE you install something that replaces it, in an Editor (like Notebook), save everything between the comment lines with "VFR Germany" in another file and put it in later again.

Sascha

There's not much you can do about that as long as other installers just overwrite the default.xml with their own one without regarding what existed before. Setting in priorities won't help neither.

All you can do is opening the default.xml BEFORE you install something that replaces it, in an Editor (like Notebook), save everything between the comment lines with "VFR Germany" in another file and put it in later again.

Sascha

Thanks very much for this tip. I will re-install VFR Germany and then make a backup of the related lines in the XML file. Hope that spares me some re-installations in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
without having to safe the flight in the middle, activate or deactivate files and start FSX again.

FSX has no need to save, amend, exit and restart to see the changes. You can simply enter the scenery library from the main options menu and uncheck the scenery you don't want, check the one that you do and the sim will load those textures and continue the flight - a matter of a few seconds.

FSX has no need to save, amend, exit and restart to see the changes. You can simply enter the scenery library from the main options menu and uncheck the scenery you don't want, check the one that you do and the sim will load those textures and continue the flight - a matter of a few seconds.

Do you know if it works like this works like this for sceneries with different sets of autogen. FTX as far as I know creates a new (second) scenery.xml file with new autogen. You have to switch the FTX mode on/off to activate/deactivate the scenery.xml file created by FTX. As far as I understand you also have to install FTX first and then switch the FTX mode off (change to the standard FSX scenery.xml) before installing addons with other autogen (like VFR Germany or Lord Howe). If you install FTX after these addons you will loose the specific autogen, as the FTX installer works on the assumption that you have the FSX standard scenery.xml file.

As far as I know activating the scenery in the library only applies to the scenery.cfg file not to the scenery.xml file (but maybe I am mistaken there).

I ran into trouble the first time, when my FTX mode switch didn't work any more (I guess I hade made a mistake, forgetting to switch the mode off before installing an addon). This way I always had the FTX autogen active and couldn't get my VFR Germany autogen back.

The second time I ran into trouble, when I installed the VFR GenX autogen demo (?), as it again changed the scenery.xml, deleting the entries for the small houses that come with VFR Germany.

But I am not very familiar with how these xml files work in FSX. Maybe I am all wrong with my assumptions.