How To Destroy The H-1 The Fastest

• Aerosoft

Customer just called us telling the H1 had a bug. He did load the aircraft, switched fuselage fuel selector to both and pumped the wobble pump 20 times, heard a connector pop off and could not start the aircraft anymore.

I explained to him he over pressurized the fuel system, it simply will not handle 10 PSI. Customer sighed and said he loved the aircraft.

Do you have an email set up with just "RTFM" written? I'm sure you'll be able to send that out a few time over the next few weeks...it's not like she's overly complex either ;)

• Aerosoft
Do you have an email set up with just "RTFM" written? I'm sure you'll be able to send that out a few time over the next few weeks...it's not like she's overly complex either ;)

Indeed... as long as you get the engine started and not go throttle to the firewall she is actually rather easy to fly. But that's like asking me to drive my Lotus slowly. This is an aircraft that is build to be pushed to the limit. (fyi, my poor Lotus is getting a new engine right now, I pushed too hard, could only wish it was just a question of reloading the aircraft, but this costs serious real money)

And about starting: the image shows all that's needed.

post-43-1211565372_thumb.jpg

It also against the usual things you do. No plane does punish you if you just jam the throttle via F4. Here you have to rethink what you're actually doeing. And yes there is that desire to go full throttle. After all this thing is a rocket.

You honestly have a Lotus??? Classy! Which one? Elise? Exige? I had the pleasure to drive the Exige a few months back. Well not drive, I was driven. I never was so pale in my whole life :D

my poor Lotus is getting a new engine right now, I pushed too hard, could only wish it was just a question of reloading the aircraft, but this costs serious real money

OT: It's about time you got rid of the toy car and bought a TVR!

• Aerosoft
It also against the usual things you do. No plane does punish you if you just jam the throttle via F4. Here you have to rethink what you're actually doeing. And yes there is that desire to go full throttle. After all this thing is a rocket.

You honestly have a Lotus??? Classy! Which one? Elise? Exige? I had the pleasure to drive the Exige a few months back. Well not drive, I was driven. I never was so pale in my whole life :D

S2 Elise in full track trim. Like the H1, a hand full, always looking for a way to kill you but when you get to know her they become nice to you.

my first flight went perfectly... I took her up to Fl-200 and then back down for a few low passes at Reno/Stead. next I took her in to land where I just couldn't put here down... she kept on bouncing, so I did a go around and this time tried to 3point her. didn't work either, and plus the nose keep on trying to put itself into the ground.

Great Airplane Aerosoft and Stefan! I love a challenge

So, now for the question:

Why is there no tail wheel in the tail wheel well?

• Aerosoft
my first flight went perfectly... I took her up to Fl-200 and then back down for a few low passes at Reno/Stead. next I took her in to land where I just couldn't put here down... she kept on bouncing, so I did a go around and this time tried to 3point her. didn't work either, and plus the nose keep on trying to put itself into the ground.

It has a block of wood instead of a tail wheel, not uncommon in aircraft of the period. Landing is a bit tricky, we have seen many testers not fully slowing the aircraft down, full flaps, gear and try to keep a strong nose up attitude and you should try to touch down right above the stall speed.

It has a block of wood instead of a tail wheel, not uncommon in aircraft of the period. Landing is a bit tricky, we have seen many testers not fully slowing the aircraft down, full flaps, gear and try to keep a strong nose up attitude and you should try to touch down right above the stall speed.

O, ok.

Yah, I didn't use full flaps so that could have been the problem!

Once again: Great Plane!!! Love it!

-Conrad

The manual/ref.html shows landing speeds for very smooth two point landings (wing landing gear). When you are able to do them with ease you can go to three point landings.

The wings are made for fast flight, which means you not have superior handling at low speeds. Especially landings with the shortwinged racer have to be made with much more speed you usually

use. Try something around 95 to 100 MPH. I you suceed you can go to lower speeds. There is only a small corridor to do triple contact landings because you pull up to hard air drag increases

to fast where lift increases a lot slower. This is tribute to the small wing area to aircraft weight.

But you can master it.

On the internet there are original movies from H-1 racer test flights. The ship is coming so fast down you think it will crash, but it pulls up perfectly in the last second.

Thats really art of flying. I will put up the link next days...dont have it here right now.

You must really learn to feel the aircraft and what it will do some seconds into the future, like it is a part of your body.

That needs some time, but will deeply satisfy you at the end.

The manual/ref.html shows landing speeds for very smooth two point landings (wing landing gear). When you are able to do them with ease you can go to three point landings.

The wings are made for fast flight, which means you not have superior handling at low speeds. Especially landings with the shortwinged racer have to be made with much more speed you usually

use. Try something around 95 to 100 MPH. I you suceed you can go to lower speeds. There is only a small corridor to do triple contact landings because you pull up to hard air drag increases

to fast where lift increases a lot slower. This is tribute to the small wing area to aircraft weight.

But you can master it.

On the internet there are original movies from H-1 racer test flights. The ship is coming so fast down you think it will crash, but it pulls up perfectly in the last second.

Thats really art of flying. I will put up the link next days...dont have it here right now.

You must really learn to feel the aircraft and what it will do some seconds into the future, like it is a part of your body.

That needs some time, but will deeply satisfy you at the end.

ADD

Not try a nose up approach, especially with the shortwinged racer!

Thats not the right way. The manual states 5-6 degrees approach angle and flare just before touch down bringing airplane down to 90-100 MPH.

Landing gear should be brought down below 140 MPH do avoid to much pull down by the slipstream.

And if you want to do a three point landing, for the masters among you, approach is the same, but you have to bleed of airspeed down to 80-85 MPH.

But then your timing has to be perfect during wheel contact.

ADD2

The center rear skid was made of drilling bit steel. Hughes family made their money with oil drilling bits that were the only to crunch texas granite layers.

So they had the monopol on that. So the material was tribute to Hughes father. The skid itself would dig into loose dirt and stabilize the aircraft to yaw impulse by the prob

and sidewind during ground movement. A rubber tire would have been to instable to tame the prop forces.

Second reason: Hughes feared concrete runways til late 1940s. He thought landing gears would be damaged by continous landing contact shocks. Even his own airfield in LA

use dirt track til late 1940s. But the ever growing weight of the airplanes made it necessary to move to concrete later. The runway had to be made plane again much too often

during a single week. So much to expensive too...even when Mr. Hughes had plenty of that...some times more some times less LOL....

Be thankful. The Racer is much more forgiving in landing then the famed BF.109 fighter. The landing gear is much farther apart then said fighter. She might bounce a little bit, but she is rather docile overall in landing as long as you follow the checklist and recommended speed values.

Be thankful. The Racer is much more forgiving in landing then the famed BF.109 fighter. The landing gear is much farther apart then said fighter. She might bounce a little bit, but she is rather docile overall in landing as long as you follow the checklist and recommended speed values.

Here is the landing movie....very rare footage i was lucky to find.

What you see is the shortwinged racer doing a three point landing.

Do you see how different the approach is to aircraft like Cessna and on.

Nose up is deadly here, because the lift efficiency is much lower than on a Cessna or TwinOtter. If you pull the nose up you will have a sudden increase in drag because

the wings are designed to give low drag in straight flight and most of the wing area covers behind that.

With higher AOAs however, you will bring all the rest of the lower wingarea into slipstream, suddenly airdrag is exploding and you will loose airspeed very fast.

This will afterwards result in again drop of lift, because the pressure difference between upper and lower wing will drop too. Result is that the H-1 will drop like a stone,

even with flaps, if you pull nose up too fast and too early. The aircraft must become your arms and your legs. Know what she can do and what not, like you know how far you can

jump and not, how fast you can ran and not. So you become one with it. This will be ultimativly helpful within flying aircraft in future, because you will understand their nature better.

But there is a corridor where you can do as perfect as shown inside the movie. Its the character of the aircraft. Master it. Its possible!

The movie shows situation already inside flaring the aircraft from approach. Beginning of flaring I estimate just 4 seconds back. It begins very calm and needs then dosed increasing

pull on the stick. After some training you will intuitivly feel whats ok and what too less/too much.

http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/S...ee-8d9a0639b67e

Hughes for itself did only 15 hours of flight training in the ship. But he began flying being a 14 year old boy. There was no organistation at those days that looked at the people and their security.

The motto was: Simply buy the aircraft...and fly it. The talented guys had much fun out there and others just got killed.

• 1 month later...

I want to rectified something about the 109, The 109 bounce and it is hard on hard surfaces like concrete but it is smooth and easy on grass terrain .

• 1 month later...

But that's like asking me to drive my Lotus slowly. This is an aircraft that is build to be pushed to the limit. (fyi, my poor Lotus is getting a new engine right now, I pushed too hard, could only wish it was just a question of reloading the aircraft, but this costs serious real money)

Mathijs:

I read these forums regularly, and learn more and more what a cool guy you are, and not just in the FS world. From another post about wanting more horsepower for your car (who doesn't?), to learning you have a Lotus, its fun to learn your interest in FS is not your only hobby, much like the rest of us in the FS world. It just emphasizes you are an enthusiast, not just a businessman, IMHO.

I just wish I had your Lotus when I spent last summer in Germany. I had a Renault Megaine (sp?) convertible, and I BARELY got it to the 220km/h rev limiter on the A6.

Hmmnn...I hope the car rental agency doesn't read this...