Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Just bought a new laptop for general use. It is very powerful but only with 16GB ram.  Do all of you think 16GB ram is enough for general use such as internet surfing, Photoshop editing, Paint Shop Pro Ultimate editing, video streaming, and anything non flight sim related?

Regards,

Aharon

• Aerosoft

Yes 16Gb is okay these days.  For gaming the cooling solution is the ONLY thing that really matters in a laptop, you can have the fastest CPU/GPU but if they can't be kept cool they will thermo-throttle in seconds and you might have well bought a much cheaper laptop. So you need top buy a laptop designed for sustained loads. AKA a good gaming laptop. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Yes 16Gb is okay these days.  For gaming the cooling solution is the ONLY thing that really matters in a laptop, you can have the fastest CPU/GPU but if they can't be kept cool they will thermo-throttle in seconds and you might have well bought a much cheaper laptop. So you need top buy a laptop designed for sustained loads. AKA a good gaming laptop. 

Thanks    I am surprised to learn that my new laptop has THREE fans as seen on the photo below

Regards,

Aharon

zHPHeKQIifKzwMix8Wwi_ZjLwSFZhQKwTmC5

• Aerosoft

Aharon, honestly, fans do not mean anything unless the heat is sent to the fans.  What you need to find is how long the laptop can run 100% CPU/GPU at a modest ambient temperature. 

I have a $2000 laptop here that has a very big CPU and an even bigger GPU. And it runs most games at super fps. For 30 seconds. Then it overheats and it starts to run like a laptop half the price. 

• Aerosoft

Indeed, and the fans then must be able to vent the heat away too.
Usually the grids on the side of the laptop are way smaller than the side grid of a tower with same CPU and GPU.
Make sure to have a proper air flow capability around you laptop.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Aharon, honestly, fans do not mean anything unless the heat is sent to the fans.  What you need to find is how long the laptop can run 100% CPU/GPU at a modest ambient temperature. 

I have a $2000 laptop here that has a very big CPU and an even bigger GPU. And it runs most games at super fps. For 30 seconds. Then it overheats and it starts to run like a laptop half the price. 

Yikes  I hope it is NOT flight simming such as MS2020 or XP-12 or P3DV5!!  Well I used many different laptops for flight simming past 17 years and had not experienced any overheating problems.  Did not know it took you 30 seconds to start overheating resulting into slowing down your laptop.  May I ask what brand you have for 2,000 buck laptop?  Thanks for using American currency instead of German mark currency to save me time from calculating mark to dollar conversion.  :) 

47 minutes ago, SimWare said:

Make sure to have a proper air flow capability around you laptop.

ha ha ha  I have confession for you.  I always lift laptop off the desk surface using two tiny LEGO blocks on each of left and right sides of back of laptop to allow air flow capacity.

Regards,

Aharon

• Aerosoft
4 minutes ago, Aharon said:

I always lift laptop off the desk surface using two tiny LEGO blocks

There is indeed no age for LEGO 😄

• Like 1

• Aerosoft
32 minutes ago, Aharon said:

Yikes  I hope it is NOT flight simming such as MS2020 or XP-12 or P3DV5!!  Well I used many different laptops for flight simming past 17 years and had not experienced any overheating problems. 

Good that means you never had a laptop that is seriously powerful or always spend serious money to buy a laptop designed for gaming. Devices like a Lenovo Legion Pro 7i or a RAZER BLADE 15 are very powerful and can run close to 100% load for a long time as long as the ambient temp is not too high. But we are talking $3000 devices. And again, even those are not able to run 100% load for more than a few minutes. 

Simply put, if you compare fps on a laptop to that on a desktop, you pay 50% more per FPS on a laptop.  Now that does not make laptops unusable, they are fine for any game! It is just that you have to spend a lot more to get a good performance. 

• Like 1

• Aerosoft
42 minutes ago, Aharon said:

ha ha ha  I have confession for you.  I always lift laptop off the desk surface using two tiny LEGO blocks on each of left and right sides of back of laptop to allow air flow capacity.

Laptops that use the bottom of the device to vent, are almost always not suitable for high-power use.  If the bottom of the device gets hot it means you are not moving heat from inside to the outside, aka not a gaming laptop. Gaming laptops have big vents on the side or back. 

• Aerosoft
vor 1 Stunde schrieb Aharon:

Thanks for using American currency instead of German mark currency to save me time from calculating mark to dollar conversion.  :) 

And on a sidenote: we don't use the "Deutsche Mark" (DM) anymore in Germany...it has been "Euro" (€) for quite some time now. ;) In fact, nowadays its the common currency used by most of the European countries.

• Like 2

@Mathijs Kok,

Thanks for very interesting explanations and great insight on laptops.

6 hours ago, BenBaron said:

And on a sidenote: we don't use the "Deutsche Mark" (DM) anymore in Germany...it has been "Euro" (€) for quite some time now. ;) In fact, nowadays its the common currency used by most of the European countries.

Darn I was born in wrong century (20th century).   Thanks for correcting me.  I miss French francs currency and German marks currency and Italian liras currency!!!

Regards,

Aharon

• Like 1

@SimWare,

The funny thing is that my new laptop has a built-in rectangular block on bottom of rear side of the laptop to raise the laptop therefore eliminating my need for two Lego blocks or bricks to put under laptop!!

Regards,

Aharon