Shockwave lights on Twotter - convincing???

Private-Cowboy

Hi there

I tried out the Shockwave lights today on the twotter. I got the coords figured out pretty good. The question is, if the resulting effect is convincing at all? I'm unsure if I like it atm.

702825Shockwave_01.jpg

118943Shockwave_02.jpg

236147Shockwave_03.jpg

I'd like to hear what you think about it. Please let me know...

I have it done for the 300 wheel version only yet. The rest is not difficult. I'll let you know the other models tomorrow.

The lights section in the aircraft.cfg looks like (I left the original entries as a backup and turned them into commentary)...

[LIGHTS]

//light.0 = 3, -2.5, -32.5, 4.3, fx_navredm ,

//light.1 = 2, -2.5, -32.6, 4.3, fx_strobeh ,

//light.2 = 3, -2.5, 32.5, 4.3, fx_navgrem ,

//light.3 = 2, -2.5, 32.6, 4.3, fx_strobeh ,

//light.4 = 1, -31.1, 0.0, 12.8, fx_beaconh ,

//light.5 = 4, -7.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin,

//light.6 = 4, -1.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin,

//light.7 = 4, 2.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin,

//light.8 = 4, 4.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin,

light.0 = 3, -2.5, -32.5, 4.3, fx_shockwave_navred ,

light.1 = 2, -2.5, -32.6, 4.3, fx_shockwave_strobe ,

light.2 = 3, -2.5, 32.5, 4.3, fx_shockwave_navgre ,

light.3 = 2, -2.5, 32.6, 4.3, fx_shockwave_strobe_2 ,

light.4 = 1, -31.1, 0.0, 12.8, fx_shockwave_beaconh ,

light.5 = 4, -7.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin,

light.6 = 4, -1.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin,

light.7 = 4, 2.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin,

light.8 = 4, 4.50, 0.0, 1.64, Aerosoft_Twotter_VC_Cabin

light.9 = 5, 0, -11.57, 3.1, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_small ,

light.10 = 5, 0, 11.57, 3.1 , fx_Shockwave_landing_light_small ,

light.11 = 5, 11.6, -0.9, -4.2 , fx_Shockwave_landing_light_short ,

and in the panel.cfg add...

gaugexx=shockwave_lights!SW Lights, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

in the Vcockpit1 section where xx is the hightest number. That is different from panel to panel but you'll figure it out. I've already chosen the effects that look the best, brighter or shorter beams don't look very good. But you can tweak it yourself.

Let me know if you want the coords for the other models (100 float, ...) too.

Awesome! Thank you. I am just trying out in the sim.

Perhaps we should declare the single middle one (above the tire) as taxilight? Should be lighttype 6 afaik.

Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=Taxi, 7=Recognition, 9=Logo

This is from Realair SF-260 aircraft file... perhaps that works?

Wonderful. I was trying to find the correct typ for a taxi light but was not able to do so. Yet. That help indeed a lot!!! Thank you again. Make it

light.11 = 6, 11.6, -0.9, -4.2 , fx_Shockwave_landing_light_short ,

then for sure and you can switch it correctly. I just tested it and it works with Typ 6. Now you can switch them with the correct switches (doh) and independently. And with the right weather, its looks quite nice...

448432Twotter_10.jpg

Thanks Cowboy for the coordinates. Looks great!

I think the lights are worth the price (since the new Redux version) and are pretty cool on most of the planes. Not so easy to handle but some sort of practice thing.

Do the Shockwave lights still light up clouds that are many miles away in the distance? This was the main reason for me not getting them as they just totally ruin the reality of the sim.

They are not realistic at all. They only look good in certain cituations like dusk, dawk or foggy weather. Turn then on at daytime and yuck. Or look at them at certain angles and yuck. To be totally honest I would not buy them again after knowing that. I jumped on that bandwagon early and now I'm just trying to get my money worth by using them. But they are not a must, by far not. Its a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for the coordinates, Private-Cowboy.

Personally I like them, even with some of the unrealistic drawbacks. They are not very expensive and easy to comment out of the config files if you get bored with them.

And I really don't like the stock landing lights. But as always a matter of personal preference.

It is. Yot have to edit the lights a little for the other versions. The floats have not taxi light for example, so remove the last line there. I've not tested the ski version yet. And yes, its easy to turn then on or off. But besides the unrealistic effects sometimes I don't like some things neither. For example, the front wheel turns and with it the ground illumination. The shockwave effect is always straigt ahead. I've no idea if it can be set to turn too but I doubt it.

I worked very intimately with Shockwave on those lights and produced the video for them. The lights are restricted by a lot of issues with FSX itself unless they are directly married to the model and NOT the cfg (which we can't re-export the default MS models etc to fix this), thus we are unable at this time to change the way they look during the daytime etc without very hard coded effects changes that look even MORE unrealistic. It was a balance. That being said, I believe they greatly benefit the atmosphere of Flight Simulator compared to the alternative of nothing.

I've no idea if it can be set to turn too but I doubt it.

Absolutely not without marrying it to the aircraft model.

If you wish to discuss this further, please PM me.