I had a query about the reverse thrust...

Grahame Myers

Hi Mathijs

I'm wondering about the reverse thrust on the Twotter: When I engage reverse thrust, although the engine gauges move properly, and the sound changes, it doesn't actually have any effect.

Being as the Twotter has Macauley fully-reversable props, and is one of the relativly few aircraft where it's actually certified to power-reverse, I'm a bit puzzled as to what could be going on.

I have a Saitek yoke and throttle system, all calibrated with FSUIPC, and with other aircraft with reversable props (like F1's PC-12 or Cessna 441, to name but two), they actually travel backwards when in reverse thrust mode.

I've checked everything I can think of, without any success.

I'm running FSX+Acceleration on XP Pro SP2 btw, my system specs are in my signature underneath. Any thought's?

Regards

Grahame

• Aerosoft
Hi Mathijs

I'm wondering about the reverse thrust on the Twotter: When I engage reverse thrust, although the engine gauges move properly, and the sound changes, it doesn't actually have any effect.

Being as the Twotter has Macauley fully-reversable props, and is one of the relativly few aircraft where it's actually certified to power-reverse, I'm a bit puzzled as to what could be going on.

I have a Saitek yoke and throttle system, all calibrated with FSUIPC, and with other aircraft with reversable props (like F1's PC-12 or Cessna 441, to name but two), they actually travel backwards when in reverse thrust mode.

I've checked everything I can think of, without any success.

I'm running FSX+Acceleration on XP Pro SP2 btw, my system specs are in my signature underneath. Any thought's?

Regards

Grahame

Not a real idea but we had another user yesterday with hardware that had the same report. Could you try the default [F2] command and see if that works?

Yeah, I checked it out just now: F2 works, but only if you press it a few times, or put the repeat slider right over to the right in the controls setup.

I'm not sure I'm that happy about that, after spending €360 on all the Saitek stuff :shock: :wink:

It seems like the Twotter doesn't recognise the reverse thrust command from FSUIPC like it should (and like all the other aircraft).

The reverse thrust should actually be fully controllable, and gradually increase from ground idle through to full reverse thrust, which it actually does with other aircraft.

It's a quick and dirty fix to use F2 instead, but ideally, I like to have all my controls calibrated with FSUIPC, as I find the calibration is much more precise, and for one thing, they stay calibrated with FSUIPC :) I've gotten used to only using the FS control calibration as a last resort :wink:

Any chance of this being addressed in the update?

Or is there a parameter I can hack to change this to FSX default behavior?

Regards

Grahame

• Aerosoft
Yeah, I checked it out just now: F2 works, but only if you press it a few times, or put the repeat slider right over to the right in the controls setup.

I'm not sure I'm that happy about that, after spending €360 on all the Saitek stuff :shock: :wink:

It seems like the Twotter doesn't recognise the reverse thrust command from FSUIPC like it should (and like all the other aircraft).

The reverse thrust should actually be fully controllable, and gradually increase from ground idle through to full reverse thrust, which it actually does with other aircraft.

It's a quick and dirty fix to use F2 instead, but ideally, I like to have all my controls calibrated with FSUIPC, as I find the calibration is much more precise, and for one thing, they stay calibrated with FSUIPC :) I've gotten used to only using the FS control calibration as a last resort :wink:

Any chance of this being addressed in the update?

Or is there a parameter I can hack to change this to FSX default behavior?

Regards

Grahame

How do the default turbine aircraft behave?

Ok, I checked out the default Caravan and the KingAir. they both work "normally" (what is normal in FS?..a philosophical question :wink: )

I didn't think of that at first I admit, 'cos I've never used them anyway.

Comparing their VC's and Airfiles with the ones in the Twotter, and I'm not at all surprised as to why that should be: I had quite forgotten just how bad the default turboprops are.

Don't know what to try next, for the meantime I'll just have to keep on using the default keyboard command :cry:

Would this be difficult to fix in the update?

Regards

Grahame

I`m using the Saitek Pro flight yoke system with an additional pro flight throttle control. The engine reverse is one of the few things i know i can get to work in the twotter. (Until i have learned how to fly it. :wink: )

You need to assign F2 to the reverse detent and move the repeat slider to the right. Now off to practice some more. :)

• Aerosoft
Would this be difficult to fix in the update?

Regards

Grahame

Sort of, I am not sure what to change actually, it is done according to the SDK, works as it should with the standard commands. I'll talk to some others to see what they done different.

I`m using the Saitek Pro flight yoke system with an additional pro flight throttle control. The engine reverse is one of the few things i know i can get to work in the twotter. (Until i have learned how to fly it. :wink: )

You need to assign F2 to the reverse detent and move the repeat slider to the right. Now off to practice some more. :)

Same Hardware here but doesn't work. If I hit F2 I get the reverse thrust but with yoke no effect. But I have assigned the button "21" (should be 21, not sure right now) correctly.

Sort of, I am not sure what to change actually, it is done according to the SDK, works as it should with the standard commands. I'll talk to some others to see what they done different.

I'm using ThrustMaster HOTAS COUGAR stick and throttle lever. I have assigned F2 and F1 keys to T5 and T4 of the four way button as following:

BTN T2 REM (U)

BTN T3 REM (D)

BTN T4 F1 REM Reverse mode off ®

BTN T5 /H F2 REM Reverse mode on (L)

The /H is a modifying code to Hold for repeating F2 character during pushing button T5.

To activate reverse thrust,

1) Pull the throttle lever fully

2) Push and hold the T5 button

to release,

3) Release the T5 button

4) Push the button T4

The reverse thrust works effectively; however, I am not certain whether it is sufficient or not because I haven't flown on the real aircraft.

Sincerely,

Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Same Hardware here but doesn't work. If I hit F2 I get the reverse thrust but with yoke no effect. But I have assigned the button "21" (should be 21, not sure right now) correctly.

@Timo: Works fine for me and yes, it is button 21. Only thing to ensure is to move the repeat slider full to the right. I had to adjust the slider several times, it lost the right position of the slider in the fsx config but after a few attempts it was ok.

Thorsten

I have a quick question about something related. The levers are all the way back when idly showing full reverse. I can get into reverse using F2 but the levers won't get any further back. When I position the levers at the idle position I actually get forward thrust already. Is that correct? Thanks.

• Aerosoft
I have a quick question about something related. The levers are all the way back when idly showing full reverse. I can get into reverse using F2 but the levers won't get any further back. When I position the levers at the idle position I actually get forward thrust already. Is that correct? Thanks.

With the hardware throttle at full idle it should show at flight idle in FSX. Using the [F2] key should move them further back. The moment you touch your hardware throttle it will jump back to flight idle. If you throttle is 'noisy' (meaning it gives out signals even if it is not being moved) it might be hard to stay in reverse.

I have to admit I'm not using hardware throttle here - I use joystick buttons since my stick is lacking a throttle. When I load the Twotter, the throttle is set to idle (should be shouldn't it not?) but the levers portrait it as they would be in full reverse. I can use F2 (or joystick button) to get full reverse but I cannot pull the levers anymore back ind the VC. I kinda had some ugly issues lately when I loaded the Twotter set everything up for the engine start (including putting the levers to what is supposed to be idle). When I fired the engines, I had some action at the ramp happen because the trottle was not idle at all.

Do I need a hardware throttle for it to work properly? I mean getting the levers to show what is actually the case?

• Aerosoft
I have to admit I'm not using hardware throttle here - I use joystick buttons since my stick is lacking a throttle. When I load the Twotter, the throttle is set to idle (should be shouldn't it not?) but the levers portrait it as they would be in full reverse. I can use F2 (or joystick button) to get full reverse but I cannot pull the levers anymore back ind the VC. I kinda had some ugly issues lately when I loaded the Twotter set everything up for the engine start (including putting the levers to what is supposed to be idle). When I fired the engines, I had some action at the ramp happen because the trottle was not idle at all.

Do I need a hardware throttle for it to work properly? I mean getting the levers to show what is actually the case?

No in fact it will work easier with the keyboard. What could be happening is that the initial state is not right. When you load the Twotter press [F4] and [F1] after that, the throttles should now be at flight idle.

I tried as you suggested but it did not help. It still looks like that with throttle at idle...

378860Issue_01.jpg

I've no idea what may cause it but the throttle levers look like full reverse don't they?

Could it be my default flight? I don't use the FSX default (Trike over friday harbor), merely a custom one with the default Cessna cold and dark on the ground. Could this cause this kind of "misinitialization"?

Thanks for your help.

• Aerosoft
I tried as you suggested but it did not help. It still looks like that with throttle at idle...

378860Issue_01.jpg

I've no idea what may cause it but the throttle levers look like full reverse don't they?

Could it be my default flight? I don't use the FSX default (Trike over friday harbor), merely a custom one with the default Cessna cold and dark on the ground. Could this cause this kind of "misinitialization"?

Thanks for your help.

How strange... so when you are in that situation pressing F4 and F1 after that brings it back to the same situation?

• Aerosoft

How strange... so when you are in that situation pressing F4 and F1 after that brings it back to the same situation?

Hold on, hold on. I now can recreate it when I disable my throttle. Very strange that FSX reads [F1] differently from a full back throttle. Not sure how we could influence that. There is a work around but it is not very comfortable. Move to the Front Overhead panel, put the mouse cursor on the throttle and use the F2/F3 keys to set it to 19% (the tool tip will show that)

Yes, the lever jumps to full power (as it should when pressing F4) and then back to this after pressing F1. This is what my Twotter thinkgs is idle. I've no idea why that is the case. I can get into reverse using F2 or Joystick button but the lever can't get anymore further back obviously.

I try the very standard FSX flight (Trike over friday harbor) where everything is running again. Maybe my default flight does not initialize the Twotter properly.

Edit: No, that does not help either. The levers displayed are all the way back for idle and all the way forward for full power even when I use the FSX standard flight. I can get to 60% reverse max by using F2 but the lever does stay there. If I hit F1 then, the trottle goes to idle, but the lever does not move. It looks like the lever displays only idle to 100% but no reverse whatsoever for me.

Edit2: Just read your tip. Doesn't 19% give me forward thrust already?

Edit3: Yup, just tried that. Setting it to 19%. The "looks" are ok now but when I loosen the brakes, I get rolling. There is 19% throttle applied too. Getting back to idle and the levers is all the way back again. And reverse is still not displayed.

The funtionality is there, I can use the mouse wheel to get a single engine to reverse and the other not (in the water for example) but the display of the levers is all wrong. What can I do? I'm out of ideas...

Should work the same as with the Saitek, did you try that solution?

Hi Mathijs,

I mean, it's the same situation as Grahame wrote:

Default King Air and Caravan work 100% as they should.

DHC-6 works too, but only a little bit, I have only a Torque 17 and PROP RPM 84% in the reverse mode. Why so?

With F2 I have full response of the reverse thrust but it is a quick and dirty fix.

I would prefere to controll each engine by the throttle.

As I don't use the CH Controllmanager but only FSUPIC it would be a great help, to have a description how I can arrange it this way.

Didn't find a way, to connect keybord commands with throttle positions.

Best regards, viele Gruesse,

Albrecht

What surprises me, is that I only have that issue with the Twotter. No other plane I have has a similar issue. If F1 is used to pull back to idle the levers do the same. Only with the Twotter the levers go to the full reverse position. Is there some way using FSUIPC to work around that???

The workaround you suggested fixes the "visual" issue, the lever looks idle now. BUT it is not, there is throttle applied at that position. Great for screenshots but not very helpful in operation. :?

I must say, it is a little bit irritating after spending over €360 on Saitek yoke, throttle and pedals (before them, I had CH equipment), only to find that they don't work properly with the Twin Otter.

Or, put another way: The Twin Otter does not work properly with my hardware.

It quite definitly does not work like every other turbine aircraft I have, or have ever had in this and previous versions of FS.

It should not be nessasary to use the keyboard as well as the thrust levers on my throttle quadrant, after they've been calibrated with FSUIPC.

Despite extensive testing on various turbine aircraft I am unable to reproduce this "feature" on any other aircraft.

I can only come to the logical conclusion that the fault lies with the code for the Twin Otter, and not my equipment.

How about addressing this in the up-and-coming final patch?

Regards

Grahame

I'd love to see that too. We're kinda in the same boat having issues with the throttle. For me it's a different thing but something that no other plane has on my system. There seems to be something odd with the throttle in the Twotter given the fact that issues occur when no flight control hardware is connected whatsoever. Even with mouse-yoke and keyboard the throttle has that problem. Otherwise its a great addon.