Jump to content
Daniel Baker

Reverse Engine Won't Stay Engaged

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Using 1.0.0.8

P3D 4.5 HF2

Windows 10.0.17763 Home

Saitek Flight Yoke & Throttle + 2nd Saitek Throttle Quadrant, CH Rudders

 

I've tried setting up the throttle both ways;

 

1) Using standard P3D assignments

2) Using FSUIPC assignments and using F2 for reverse

 

In each case the throttles work fine, but reverse thrust is hesitant to engage, and when it finally does, will not stay locked (ie; holding F2 engages reverse, but it wobbles back and forth within the reverse thrust range - like something is pulling it back to idle)

 

One thing: the Saitek drivers do not have a calibration option as such, only the attached.

 

 

Appreciate any help,

 

Daniel

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking most controllers require Inverted Axis to be selected in the Configurator AND in P3D, however when setting this up using P3D control bindings I believe the only way to do this is via a switch , key, or a separate axis.  If  using a button or key you need to ensure that the "repeat" command is both selected and repeated to the maximum extent possible.

 

NOTE:  Always calibrate  your controllers using either the software provided by the manufacturer or Windows USB Game Controller application (which you have shown above).

 

Screenshot - 3_7_2020 , 10_04_01 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't you try this?

 

 

PFPX_Decr.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave,

 

Thanks for your reply.  

 

Crazy question: how do you get to edit the repeat command?  I can't seem to find how to edit it.

 

Thanks,

 

Daniel

12 minutes ago, Goshob said:

Why don't you try this?

 

 

PFPX_Decr.png

 

Thanks for your reply, but I have tried this exactly.  Same issue.

 

Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel,

 

If you take another look, you'll see that I specified using P3D control bindings and said that the Repeat Command is for a button or switch. I then provided a screen shot with a yellow box around the Repeat Command bind.

 

FSUIPC works fine with our products, however Aerosoft does NOT recommend using FSUIPC with our aircraft, nor do I, unless you have an issue with a control axis (such as a noisy potentiometer).  Please don't take this to mean that I don't appreciate Pete's (the FSUIPC developer) work as I think his work with the program is tremendous and has provided a great deal of support to flight simmers over a very, very long time.

 

Best wishes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Daniel,

 

If you take another look, you'll see that I specified using P3D control bindings and said that the Repeat Command is for a button or switch. I then provided a screen shot with a yellow box around the Repeat Command bind.

 

FSUIPC works fine with our products, however Aerosoft does NOT recommend using FSUIPC with our aircraft, nor do I, unless you have an issue with a control axis (such as a noisy potentiometer).  Please don't take this to mean that I don't appreciate Pete's (the FSUIPC developer) work as I think his work with the program is tremendous and has provided a great deal of support to flight simmers over a very, very long time.

 

Best wishes.

 

 

Yes, sorry I saw that but misunderstood.  

 

Okay, I tried that and that did not work either (turning off FSUIPC bindings and switching over to enabling P3D controllers.

 

In both case I get exactly the same behaviour.  There is something not allowing the reverse thrust, no matter the config.  I can get the throttles to work with both FSUPIC bindings and P3D controllers enabled the standard way, it's just reverse thrust that doesn't hold at maximum.  It also won't engage at touchdown (both scenarios) for about 10 seconds or so.

 

Thanks for your further help,

 

Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

How did you "turn off" FSUIPC? 

 

 

I deleted all the assignments and then removed the entry for the Aerosoft Pro A330 from the FSUIOC.ini file

 

Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Daniel Baker said:

 

I deleted all the assignments and then removed the entry for the Aerosoft Pro A330 from the FSUIOC.ini file

 

Daniel

 

Okay, I can understand why you did this, and it's certainly logical, but during the past year I've helped a number of people with FSUIPC related issues which difficult to understand how and why they were causing people grief with our Airbuses.

 

What I recommend doing is copying  your FSUIPC.CFG file to your desktop, starst P3D which will then create a new FSUIPC.CFG file, close P3D and copy the aircraft entries from the FSUIPC.CFG file on your desktop to the newly created CFD file.  This may well resolve the issue you are presently experiencing.

 

Let us know how you make out?

 

Best wishes!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

 

Okay, I can understand why you did this, and it's certainly logical, but during the past year I've helped a number of people with FSUIPC related issues which difficult to understand how and why they were causing people grief with our Airbuses.

 

What I recommend doing is copying  your FSUIPC.CFG file to your desktop, starst P3D which will then create a new FSUIPC.CFG file, close P3D and copy the aircraft entries from the FSUIPC.CFG file on your desktop to the newly created CFD file.  This may well resolve the issue you are presently experiencing.

 

Let us know how you make out?

 

Best wishes!

 

 

 

Okay will do and report back - thanks!

 

Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Daniel,

Something that also came to my mind. In what state are you testing the reverse thrusts in most cases? Engines off or engines running? I can recreate this kind of behavior you explain where the reverse levers return back to normal position automatically when the engines are off. And on landing in most cases I need to double press F2 to engage idle reverse. On ground with engines running however at least F2 is working normal for me.

I don't use an axis myself for reverse, so cannot really help with that one but Dave is a real expert on that regard, so if the above is not the case I hope you can get this issue solved together. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

 

Okay, I can understand why you did this, and it's certainly logical, but during the past year I've helped a number of people with FSUIPC related issues which difficult to understand how and why they were causing people grief with our Airbuses.

 

What I recommend doing is copying  your FSUIPC.CFG file to your desktop, starst P3D which will then create a new FSUIPC.CFG file, close P3D and copy the aircraft entries from the FSUIPC.CFG file on your desktop to the newly created CFD file.  This may well resolve the issue you are presently experiencing.

 

Let us know how you make out?

 

Best wishes!

 

 

 

Okay, tried that and still have exactly the same issue, unhappily.  Is there a next step?

 

Thanks for working through this with me!

 

Daniel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel Baker said:

 

Okay, tried that and still have exactly the same issue, unhappily.  Is there a next step?

 

Thanks for working through this with me!

 

Daniel

 

 

I don't think I was clear in the steps I gave you (sorry).  Let's try this again, and I'll be more specific and make  one new change:

 

1. If not done already, move your FSUIPC.CFG from the P3D\Modules folder to your desktop.

 

2.  Start P3D, and add the A330 to FSUIPC.

 

3.  If the A330 reverse thrust is now working (it should be), now go back and add any other aircraft to FSUIPC (do not copy entries from previous FSUIPC).

 

If this doesn't work then I'm out of ideas for FSUIPC and we should instead try P3D control bindings, but I think it will work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave,

 

To be clear, I don't think there is a FSUIPC.CFG file - only a FSUIPC.ini file.

 

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/73871-fsuipc-cfg/ 

 

And the steps you outlined is what I did.  

 

I removed the FSUIPC.ini to the desktop, I staredt P3D and I reassigned the A330 control bindings and tried again in an essentially  virgin FSUIPC state (ie; no bindings for any aircraft).  And I'm afraid it didn't work any differently than before.

 

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding your instructions?  Apologies if so...

 

Daniel

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Daniel Baker said:

Hi Dave,

 

To be clear, I don't think there is a FSUIPC.CFG file - only a FSUIPC.ini file.

 

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/73871-fsuipc-cfg/ 

 

And the steps you outlined is what I did.  

 

I removed the FSUIPC.ini to the desktop, I staredt P3D and I reassigned the A330 control bindings and tried again in an essentially  virgin FSUIPC state (ie; no bindings for any aircraft).  And I'm afraid it didn't work any differently than before.

 

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding your instructions?  Apologies if so...

 

Daniel

 

 

 

Ah, yeah, you're correct, it's an INI file.  I sometimes use INI and CFG interchangeably and I shouldn't do that, thank for clearing that up my friend.

 

Let me say that I think you've been wonderful in the face of this frustrating issue - thanks for that!

 

Okay, so here is where I think things stand.

 

1. We know that the reverse axis does indeed work when assigned via FSUIPC, and although I don't use it I in have assigned the reverse axis via FSUIPC and had it working.

 

2.  Despite your best efforts and a few troubleshooting ideas, you can trigger reverse thrust however it will not stay engaged.

 

 

I'm wondering if maybe a past P3D control bind is interfering with an FSUIPC bind with reverse thrust is triggered?  That would make sense based on what you're describing.

 

Regardless, I'm 100% confident this is not an issue with our software, so I think the next thing I would do is to post in the FSUIPC forum and see what Pete has to say.  Nobody knows more about this type of thing more than Pete does!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

 

Ah, yeah, you're correct, it's an INI file.  I sometimes use INI and CFG interchangeably and I shouldn't do that, thank for clearing that up my friend.

 

Let me say that I think you've been wonderful in the face of this frustrating issue - thanks for that!

 

Okay, so here is where I think things stand.

 

1. We know that the reverse axis does indeed work when assigned via FSUIPC, and although I don't use it I in have assigned the reverse axis via FSUIPC and had it working.

 

2.  Despite your best efforts and a few troubleshooting ideas, you can trigger reverse thrust however it will not stay engaged.

 

 

I'm wondering if maybe a past P3D control bind is interfering with an FSUIPC bind with reverse thrust is triggered?  That would make sense based on what you're describing.

 

Regardless, I'm 100% confident this is not an issue with our software, so I think the next thing I would do is to post in the FSUIPC forum and see what Pete has to say.  Nobody knows more about this type of thing more than Pete does!

 

 

 

Hi Dave,

 

Well, I appreciate how much effort you've put into this issue - man thanks!

 

I will certainly try the FSUIPC forum...

 

… just one thing, though, that I feel we should take into consideration; the exact same issue happen when I remove the FSUIPC.ini and enable normal P3D controls.  So given that knowledge, it is conceivable that it has nothing to do with FSUIPC at all, no?

 

Thanks,

 

Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be possible but as we have no other reports of it, hard to see what could cause it. I assume you did a recalibration of the controls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

That would be possible but as we have no other reports of it, hard to see what could cause it. I assume you did a recalibration of the controls?

 

Hi Mathijs,

 

Well, the calibration point is an interesting one, actually.  The Saitek properties panel doesn't have a calibration tool in the strictest sense - it shows movement throughout the entire range to show you that you ARE calibrated (ie; moving through the entire range evenly, and my controls show that they are doing that - full range, from one end to another) but no "calibrate" button where you move through the entire controller range to test it.

 

I can say I use the controller with every other aircraft I have (FSLabs, PMDG, QualityWings, stock aircraft, etc.) and they work perfectly.  FSLabs also has a process like the Aerosoft airbuses that works outside the "standard" P3D interface, where a full range, fully functioning controller is a must.

 

I'm not sure I can anything about the Saitek calibration software, unless anyone knows differently?  I know setting them up in Windows 10 was a little non-standard, but I have them working and I'm hesitant to fool around too much with them in case they break functionality with my other add-ons... but I'm willing to try if someone has a clear pathway towards that.

 

Thanks,

 

Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing on this, and I don't know if it helps at all.

 

I tried removing ALL throttle bindings (no FSUIPC or P3D) and confirmed that no control axis at all was associated with any kind of throttle.

 

I then pressed and held the F2 key and got the same behavior.  It reverses but won't stay locked - holding it just oscillates while I have it held, and returns to idle when released.  What could possibly be commanding it back to idle?

 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times .

 

I'm not sure what else to try?  Is there anything left?

 

Thanks,

Daniel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that thrust wants to return to normal even when holding down the F2 key means that something else is commanding thrust in the forward direction, and that will conflict with and override reverse thrust.

 

I'd give some consideration to deleting the Prepar3d.cfg and Standard.xml (located in the Controls folder in same location as the Prepar3d.cfg file... the Roaming folder.  That very well may solve this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Does this happen on default aircraft?

 

No, not with the default aircraft.

 

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The fact that thrust wants to return to normal even when holding down the F2 key means that something else is commanding thrust in the forward direction, and that will conflict with and override reverse thrust.

 

I'd give some consideration to deleting the Prepar3d.cfg and Standard.xml (located in the Controls folder in same location as the Prepar3d.cfg file... the Roaming folder.  That very well may solve this.

 

 

 

Okay, will try this.  Thanks Dave!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But if it does not happen in default aircraft it does not seen sim related. This is a very weird one, we use the same code in a few tens of thousands of customers and with Daniel it just behaves differently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

But if it does not happen in default aircraft it does not seen sim related. This is a very weird one, we use the same code in a few tens of thousands of customers and with Daniel it just behaves differently. 

 

I see your point Mathijs, thanks.  Do you still recommend deleting the Prepar3d.cfg and Standard.xml?  I can but save the files on my desktop first, of course.  Is it worth it to do that?

 

- Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not if this does not affect other aircraft.

 

I have personally troubleshot the exact situation you have described with two different customers, and I mean EXACT, as in precisely the same. The cause was FSUIPC. I just don't know what else to tell you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...