Autothrust issues during approach

@Patrice_cesson Thanks for your input, Patrice. Luckily, I don't have the crashes and blinking speed numbers you encountered, but it's good to know that you had those autothrust issues as well.

@Mathijs Kok So your recommendation is to leave FSUIPC as it is? And apart from that, you do not have an idea what could cause these problems or what I can do next? It is interesting that Patrice had no such problems in version 1.2.3.0 (me neither), so I'm tempted to revert to that version and wait for a stable new version.

I can say, though, that I made a flight with fully programmed FMC in the Eurowings A320 (D-AIZV) from Hamburg to Lanzarote yesterday - and that one went very well. No strange speed reductions above 10,000 feet, a normal cruising speed of Mach 0.79, and of course no speed mode/thrust oscillations during final approach (I didn't expect the latter anyway due to the fully managed flight mode). So at least the managed speed problems (with fully programmed FMC) I mentioned in one of my previous posts seem to be an only occasional issue.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just a quick recap so I can be sure I have understood everything correctly so far.

When you don't program INIT A & INIT B pages, your speed reduces below the set speed on FCU and every now and then shows speed 100 knots? I checked the video but cannot remember exactly anymore, and it's no longer available.

When you program in the FMGC fully on most flight everything works normally but on some flights, you have a managed speed problem where the plane commands a low speed that's unusual during the phase of flight.

Is this correct or did I miss something?

vor 16 Stunden , Secondator sagte:

Just a quick recap so I can be sure I have understood everything correctly so far.

When you don't program INIT A & INIT B pages, your speed reduces below the set speed on FCU and every now and then shows speed 100 knots? I checked the video but cannot remember exactly anymore, and it's no longer available.

When you program in the FMGC fully on most flight everything works normally but on some flights, you have a managed speed problem where the plane commands a low speed that's unusual during the phase of flight.

Is this correct or did I miss something?

Sorry, I rather took the video offline because I thought that there would be no response anymore and everyone who should see it had already seen it.

No, the speed never shows 100 knots. It does drop below the set speed (138 knots), but only by a maximum of about 10 knots. As I have written in my first post, the speed oscillates only mildly at the start of the final approach (that means, starting from the point of glide slope capture) and the more the speed drops towards the 138 knots mark (and below), it oscillates more strongly, leading to the "Speed! Speed!" warning sound during most of the final minutes of approach.

Apart from that, you understood everything correctly.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for the clarification!

I can try to do some investigation on why the speed drops on ILS when INIT A & B are not filled, but since this is not really normal operations I cannot promise it will have high priority.

About the managed speed drop: This is a known issue and has a megathread where you can follow the progress. We have been able to recreate the issue and are actively working to get it fixed. If you want to contribute to help us get more data about the issue you can do so by providing some logs from the flights it happens (preferably with a timestamp when it happened as well). All the information can be found on that thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your feedback, @Secondator! I hope that you can find the cause of the speed oscillations. I keep getting them when the FMC is not programmed, so a solution would be much appreciated.

I will see whether I get the managed speed drops again with a programmed FMC. So far, I had no further problems with that, but if I should, I will report back those problems in the corresponding topic.

If I may (without opening a new topic for that), I would like to ask about the following problem I addressed in my fourth post in this topic. Is there any known cause to that?

On a side note, you will notice at 1:03 and 4:13 that the autopilot makes a sudden slight right turn and then back to the left during approach in order to stay at the localizer. This is pretty typical for my ILS/autopilot approaches in the Airbus Professional family. And I believe this has been reported here already by other users - and the probable cause you guys named in those cases were FPS drops due to the loading of scenery. I do not notice any unusual FPS drops or visual scenery loading effects at those two points, though. So if anyone has an explanation for that problem, too, that would be much appreciated as well.

Archived