OnCourse

Where is the CRJ 700/900 GPS Panel?

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I just purchased the CRJ 700/900, and cannot find the GPS Panel that is available on all the other models in FSX. I have tried editing the panel.cfg to add a window for the GPS Panel, similar to how the default CRJ that comes with FSX has in its panel.cfg, but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I find this to be a really important display. Thanks.

 

Update: I noticed that the panel.cfg inside the Aerosoft CRJ-700 folder has 17 Windows defined, whereas in-game, when you right click and go to cockpit, there are 22 window options. I am guessing the rest are coming from the Aerosoft CRJ Base folder. However, this folder's panel folder only contains a ASCRJ.dll, without any panel.cfg. Is this dll overwriting and customizing what is inside 700's panel.cfg? I tried adding the default GPS to window2, 23, and some others, but nothing works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Aerosoft CRJ-700/900 use a flight management system (as in the real aircraft) rather than GPS system.  The GPS system found in the FSX Default Aircraft is not realistic, and doesn't actually belong in a CRJ.  The Aerosoft CRJ was designed after the real aircraft, so you won't find a GPS in it as you will find in the FSX Default CRJ.  A check of the documentation that came with the Aerosoft CRJ will help you to understand the aircraft and her systems, including the FMS.

 

Best wishes.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and thank you for the response.

 

I have indeed ramped up on how to use the FMS and looked through the many documentation files. I realize that it replaces how the route is set up. Nonetheless, the views available in the Captain's PFD are really not very clear at all (even when you click to enlarge), and detract from the enjoyment of the game. I keep having to go to the menu, and then World -> Map, which is tedious and pauses the game.

 

4 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The GPS system found in the FSX Default Aircraft is not realistic

 

I have found the GPS Panel in non standard FSX planes as well. Isn't it generally portrayed as a Garmin modular or mobile device? Why would it be unrealistic for someone flying a CRJ to have one? I've even seen it mentioned in other threads here, as being something that you can configure onto a plane:

 

 

Can you please let us configure the panel.cfg for the CRJ in a similar way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I have to chime in here, why would you spend money on an item only to revert it back to a default aircraft????

 

You would be better off keeping that money in your pocket and buying a new set of marbles.


As Dave said, it has a fully integrated Flight Managment System (FMS), that enhances the simulation as you are using the aircraft closer to how it was actually designed, if you want something with a Garmin, you'd be better looking into a 1980's Piper or Cessna from JustFlight or Carenado. No real CRJ has a GPS system, so that should answer the 

17 minutes ago, OnCourse said:

Why would it be unrealistic for someone flying a CRJ to have one?

question for you.

 

 

If you want a CRJ with a default GPS option, use the FSx default aircraft or look at Wilco

 

I have to say, this is one of the strangest posts I have come across on this forum...... 

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OnCourse said:

Can you please let us configure the panel.cfg for the CRJ in a similar way?

 

Very well, permission granted to fly the CRJ with the default GPS panel. Carry on. (sorry, slipped back into my Navy days.... lol).

 

It strikes me that in doing this you'll have paid for an aircraft and yet you'll essentially only be using the textures while most people get enjoyment out of learning to operate the aircraft as it is actually flown.  As far as the navigation display, I'm in total disagreement with you, but that said I'm a proponent of the idea that everyone gets enjoyment out of flight sim however they please. 

 

Flight sim has been around for over 30 years and there is a wealth of information to be had via any Google Search. Simply Google "Add GPS to FSX aircraft" and you'll find instructions on how to what you wish with the GPS panel.

 

Best wishes.

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, G Sproson said:

Ok, I have to chime in here, why would you spend money on an item only to revert it back to a default aircraft????

 

Sorry but I find your entire post to be rude and unproductive. I am new to FMS planes and there is no reason to jump down my throat like that.

 

4 minutes ago, G Sproson said:

I have to say, this is one of the strangest posts I have come across on this forum...... 

 

Wow. You really need to calm down.

 

Even the PDMG planes allow for editing of the panel.cfg, in order to add the default GPS Panel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Flight sim has been around for over 30 years and there is a wealth of information to be had via any Google Search. Simply Google "Add GPS to FSX aircraft" and you'll find instructions on how to what you wish with the GPS panel.

 

I did, and tried to throughly detail in my original post as to why it doesn't seem to work. Does the dll in the CRJ Base Panel folder overwrite anything I put in a specific CRJ's panel.cfg? I am using the same approach found on Google, as well as the two forum links I posted earlier, also from this forum. Nothing seems to work.

 

Could you please let me know if I need to do something differently? Do I need to add a panel.cfg in the base CRJ folder as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OnCourse said:

Even the PDMG planes allow for editing of the panel.cfg, in order to add the default GPS Panel. 

 

This maybe so, but those who do this have just paid $80+ to slightly upgrade the default 737.

 

2 minutes ago, OnCourse said:

Sorry but I find your entire post to be rude and unproductive. I am new to FMS planes and there is no reason to jump down my throat like that.

 

 

The idea of the post was to make you realise that if you put your money into a product that has had a vast number of hours and has been developed to improve and enhance your experience in the flight sim community only to say you don't want to learn the systems is foreign to me. Now it's your money but there is a vast amount of knowledge on the internet (google, youtube and live streams such as ours) constantly demonstrate how to get the most from your purchases. We all had to start learning somewhere, when I first purchased the PMDG 737 in FS2004 it only took a week or two to learn the new systems, you won't get that if you just put the default GPS back into it.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, I'd forgotten that the CRJ uses a Base folder as the Airbus does.  As such, it may not be possible, however I'll ask the developer to find out for sure.

 

What I can tell you is that I'm practically certain the aircraft autopilot will not work with the GPS, so it will simply be a display for you to view.  You can accomplish this same thing without messing with the panels by using a freeware product called "FreeAirMap".

 

I have to say that I'm with Grant in that you're closing off a truly wonderful experience by blocking out the terrific aircraft systems in the CRJ.  My 30+ years in the community has been wonderful learning experience that has lead to far more enjoyment by flying aircraft with their actual systems rather than doing otherwise.  But again, it's your sim and you are welcome to enjoy it however you please - but again, the aircraft autopilot will not work with the default GPS as I'm pretty sure the CRJ programming does not include this.

 

Best wishes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I'll ask the developer to find out for sure.

 

Thank you sir, that would be great.

 

3 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

the aircraft autopilot will not work with the GPS

 

I definitely don't want it for that purpose. I just think its more fun to look at than the display on the Captain's MFD. It would also be built into FSX, without having to add yet another addon just for that map view.

 

5 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I have to say that I'm with Grant in that you're closing off a truly wonderful experience by blocking out the terrific aircraft systems in the CRJ.

 

Like I said above, I am learning the FMS and have already finished many flights by using it as the sole means of navigation. Not sure why the assumption is otherwise. It's been challenging, but I love that feeling of accomplishment afterwards. 

 

The Captain's MFD "route/plan view" is just not as good as it is on the GPS Panel. I might ditch the GPS myself in the future, but why is it so surprising that someone new to FMS might want to have one around while they make the transition? Definitely no reason for Grant to be abrasive about it. It's just a simulation game in the end :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Below is a link to a post where someone added the GPS to the Aerosoft Airbus. Maybe the same procedure will work for you.  I run P3DV4, which does not have that panel, so I can't check it.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you looked at the Aivlasoft EFB?

 

Or thinking about it, any of the free flight trackers like LittleNavMap?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Below is a link to a post where someone added the GPS to the Aerosoft Airbus. Maybe the same procedure will work for you.  I run P3DV4, which does not have that panel, so I can't check it.

 

Thank you for the suggestion, but that is unfortunately the same thread I linked above. Maybe the dll in that product's base folder works differently than this one. Or that base folder doesn't have a dll like this one, but a regular panel.cfg.

 

I also unfortunately do not own the other product mentioned, so that I may compare their folder setup. The Base CRJ Panel dll seems to add about 5 windows, to the 17 defined by the specific CRJ panel.cfg. I tried to define a new Window in index 23, so that it wouldn't be overwritten by any of the other panels that get generated, but it doesn't seem to work. Keeping my fingers crossed that the developers, or someone else reading this post, knows a clever way around this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Have you looked at the Aivlasoft EFB?

 

Or thinking about it, any of the free flight trackers like LittleNavMap?

 

Well to fly through the FMS, I had to generate a route with tools others than what FSX gives you by default. I am able to generate a route by using some free websites, but would rather not install another addon for map view, when I have the one in-game already available. Yes, I understand that a lot of waypoints used by the FMS will not show up in the GPS Panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, OnCourse said:

I also unfortunately do not own the other product mentioned, so that I may compare their folder setup

 

It's essentially the same, they both use a base panel (same folder structure). Just be sure to back up everything before you make changes.

 

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm sorry, I'd forgotten that the CRJ uses a Base folder as the Airbus does.

 

I'll still check with the developer on this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke with the developer, and his comments are below:

 

"He can add an additional window to the panel.cfg of course.
But that would have to be opened via the menu, not via key
and the GPS map won't show any route".

 

Per our earlier discussion, I think you should be able to use the same procedure for the Airbus (provided earlier) as they use the same folder/panel structure.  That said however, I would encourage you to first try FreeAirMap as it is the same GPS panel.  Additionally, LittleNavMap might well be even better for you, and you can install both to one you prefer.

Though it may look a little different than the GPS Panel, LittleNavMap will provide you with additional important information in different windows, though you can also easily close the additional windows and simply use the map, and you can choose what information is displayed on the map via the menu or with the click click of a button.

 

Best wishes.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, OnCourse said:

 

I did, and tried to throughly detail in my original post as to why it doesn't seem to work. Does the dll in the CRJ Base Panel folder overwrite anything I put in a specific CRJ's panel.cfg? I am using the same approach found on Google, as well as the two forum links I posted earlier, also from this forum. Nothing seems to work.

 

Could you please let me know if I need to do something differently? Do I need to add a panel.cfg in the base CRJ folder as well?

you have pay for a great addon. its really similar to the real plane, not study level but great addon. I suggest you to learn how to fly it. there are a lot of video tutorials on youtube, also another one from aerosoft on PDF. yes i know maybe is difficult to understand at the beginning, but all you need is practice and watch the video many times, also if you need help to fly the birth i can help you, send me a private message here with your email and i will try to explain the basic knowledge to fly the plane successfully from A to B. 

 

I don't recommend you to use GPS view because it has no sense with this type of level add-on. that why you have the fms and the MFD with the map mode. 

If you don't, well i think you have waste 50€ . if you like default FSX way of flying i suggest you buy virtual cool. it's easy and cheaper. 

 

best regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I spoke with the developer, and his comments are below:

 

"He can add an additional window to the panel.cfg of course.
But that would have to be opened via the menu, not via key
and the GPS map won't show any route".

 

Per our earlier discussion, I think you should be able to use the same procedure for the Airbus (provided earlier) as they use the same folder/panel structure.

 

Thank you for following up on this. I appreciate both your time.

 

I did check to see if the GPS Panel was being loaded via the menu, but it was unfortunately not there. I also tried putting it in different window slots with no luck. Not sure what else I can do, as I copied the directions from the other posts to the letter.

 

Did the developer say anything about having to put a panel.cfg in the base folder? Has anyone on the dev, QA team or any other user tested this? If one other person could confirm that it works for them, I would at least know for sure that the problem is on my end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eduard Gasull said:

If you don't, well i think you have waste 50€

 

Not sure why you feel the need to insult others because you like to play this game differently. Others in this forum and across the FSX community have asked to add GPS Panels to planes that use FMCs. If you are not looking to help answer the question asked in this thread, then just move on to a different thread. Don't waste our time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OnCourse said:

Did the developer say anything about having to put a panel.cfg in the base folder?

 

He did not.

 

14 minutes ago, OnCourse said:

Has anyone on the dev, QA team or any other user tested this?

 

Absolutely not.  One of the reasons you're getting feedback from people who are shocked/confused is because what you're doing is a HUGE step backwards.  I realize you don't see it that way, but it really is, and it's so abnormal that you're not likely to find anyone who has even thought about doing this in the CRJ.  There was I believe one or two people out of hundreds of thousands who asked about doing this with the PMDG NGX and they got blasted for even suggesting it - though they were still helped.  But as I've already said, if you want to then it's go right ahead, but I'm afraid beyond what I've already shared with you there won't be any further support. This is understandable because we sell an aircraft modelled after real world systems and operations, and we don't support adding things to the aircraft like you wish to do.

 

14 minutes ago, OnCourse said:

If one other person could confirm that it works for them, I would at least know for sure that the problem is on my end.

 

Again, I don't think you'll ever find anyone interested in doing this.

 

I will say again that you should simply install the free program called  FreeAirMap, It's the same GPS panel you're looking for.  And again, please check out LittleNavMap.

 

Best wishes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic has been closed because we feel this topic has run its course and the matter at hand has been addressed. Should you have additional questions, please start a new topic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.