Mathijs Kok

Twin Otter Extended Extended?

Pilot uniform, seriously?!  😲 For my money, worthy improvements will be to the flight characteristics, engine modelling and systems modelling. Modelling failures would be a huge step forward as it would make many of the currently pointless systems useful. For example, none of the checklist tests have any meaning because nothing will ever not work. Likewise the need for a standby A/H, unless you want to practice using a limited panel, I suppose. Icing and running out of fuel are pretty much the only failures that can happen, which renders the (well-modelled) electrical system also pointless . More realistic startup would be on the list but lower down than how the engines handle in flight. And obviously fixing current problems like the ground friction in P3Dv4 and the buggy ADF radio logic. There is an alternative sound set from Sonic Solutions, BTW. 

3 hours ago, MarkHurst said:

Pilot uniform, seriously?!  😲 For my money, worthy improvements will be to the flight characteristics, engine modelling and systems modelling. Modelling failures would be a huge step forward as it would make many of the currently pointless systems useful. For example, none of the checklist tests have any meaning because nothing will ever not work. Likewise the need for a standby A/H, unless you want to practice using a limited panel, I suppose. Icing and running out of fuel are pretty much the only failures that can happen, which renders the (well-modelled) electrical system also pointless . More realistic startup would be on the list but lower down than how the engines handle in flight. And obviously fixing current problems like the ground friction in P3Dv4 and the buggy ADF radio logic. There is an alternative sound set from Sonic Solutions, BTW. 

Agreed, I only mentioned the uniforms as one of the subtle things that can be updated next time around. There are much more important things to be address, but it's also a good opportunity to address small items as well. After reviewing products for many years, small details matter quite a bit after the initial "wow" factor of the high tech features.

Just to confirm.

Twin Otters that do not have a standby Attitude Indicator tend to be VFR only operations since it is required for IFR flight. So far, D-IVER is the only Twin Otter I can find that has this type of autopilot installed. All images below are from different operators showing the typical Twin Otter autopilot installation on the yoke column. 

If the current autopilot unit were replaced by the standby AI and a new optional autopilot unit was posted on the yoke column, this might be a much more typical cockpit layout. The last 4 images were the most common.

Caribpilot, thanks so much for the quick response.

All, to avoid copyright issues, Caribpilot provided links to the pictures that support his post just above the links.