Will Aerosoft Airports Be Happy With This?

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I am shopping around for a powerful laptop and for amazing price (1,000 buck off), there is new laptop with specific configuration as seen below.  Will all Aerosoft airports be happy with this configuration? I have Gilabator X, Maldives X, and Anchorage X (I am afraid to install Anchorage X that I bought 2 years into my 4 or 5 year old laptop and you can laugh at me).  I plan to buy Fairbanks X, Nassau X, and probably LLBG scenery which is my native country's airport.

Here is configuration:

Display 15.6 in 4K UHD IPS touchscreen (3840 x 2160), 10-finger multi-touch support

Processor Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.50 GHz

Memory 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz

Hard drive size 256GB SSD + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

Operating system Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M graphics with 3GB graphics memory, Intel HD Graphics 530

Thanks,

Aharon

Laptops are almost never a good idea for FSX unless they're real gaming laptops (which are a lot more expensive). Nevertheless, FSX always performs better on a desktop system than on a laptop.

The thing with a laptop is that FSX is very demanding on the CPU and most laptops have insufficient cooling for that. In order to prevent the CPU from overheating most laptops got something built in that slows them down when they get too hot, and you can imagine FSX is not happy with that. In the best case it leads to stutters and lower FPS, in the worst case FSX just crashes.

Desktop computers got far better cooling and are therefor far more suitable for FSX.

True that. One question though is whether you are going to use FSX or P3D ? P3D will perform better than FSX however with add-ons it will eventually slow down your laptop. Better to save money at the moment and go for 6700K desktop with descent graphic card like 980TI (at least.)

Regards

Prayog

Thanks all for kind explanations.

Patrick, I have been using laptops for flying on FSX for 9 years without problems as you can see from thousands of screenshots I post on various forums and yes  I am going for gaming laptops.  They might be expensive but not when on sale  :)  

Praayog,  I am afraid I will remain with FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 for my next planned laptop.  I have ruled out FSX Steam, P3D, and FSX Acceleration.

I am not going to buy a lot of Aersoft sceneries.  I already have Gilbarator X, Maldives X, and Anchorage X.  I plan to buy Fairbanks X and Olso X.  Maybe LLBG too.  Those sceneries will run nicely in my next powerful laptop that I am shopping around for.

Regards,

Aharon

I think Aerosoft airport sceneries will be happy with this configuration as seen below:

• 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core
  • 16GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 15.6" IPS Display
  • 1920 x 1080 Full HD Resolution
  • 256GB M.2 SSD + 1TB 7200 rpm HDD
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
  • SuperMulti DVD Drive + Media Card Reader
  • 802.11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.0
  • USB Type-C / USB 3.0 / HDMI / Mini-DP
  • Windows 10

It's not just the configuration that matters. Usually a system with a configuration like this would run FSX stunning, but it remains a laptop. I know they call it a gaming laptop, but I still wouldn't go for it.

Is there any reason it must be a laptop? What keeps you from buying a desktop? Desktops usually offer more power for less money, and there's far less chance of overheating (even gaming laptops sometimes get overheated). Besides, if something ever needs to be upgraded or replaced it's much easier to do that on a desktop than on a laptop.

3 hours ago, PatrickZ said:

Is there any reason it must be a laptop? What keeps you from buying a desktop?

Living in tiny studio bachelor pad apartment  where space counts :) Plus I want to take laptop with me for business travel or to go to coffee places to have nice cup of coffee while editing and publishing screenshots hence slim thin laptop.  My very thin Sony Vaio S Series laptop is serving me well past 4 years running FSX very well.

Regards,

Aharon

Archived