General Question on MAP Mode

Pateotana1512

hi everyone just got sp3 and i must say the performance is pretty good and finally a fully functional weather radar is great but can someone explain to me how does MAP mode work if i point the Tilt down i only get ground clutter but if i leave it in auto i get Yellow on ND and what the colours on MAP mode mean like yellow green...

post-97403-0-78678400-1429035891_thumb.p

Hi Bruno,

in your picture all is fine! The Airbus Weather Radar only show rainclouds. When you fly in an Area with no rain clouds, the Radar show nothing. Yellow, green and red are the colours of the current weather/Rain status in your area. Green: OK, Yellow: Moderat, Red: Bad

See the Manual of the Airbus, there you find all about Weather Radar and his functionality.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Bruno,

in your picture all is fine! The Airbus Weather Radar only show rainclouds. When you fly in an Area with no rain clouds, the Radar show nothing. Yellow, green and red are the colours of the current weather/Rain status in your area. Green: OK, Yellow: Moderat, Red: Bad

See the Manual of the Airbus, there you find all about Weather Radar and his functionality.

Regards,

Peter

Hi yes i know that it will only show rain in clouds when in WX mode i was asking about MAP mode how does it work and what do does colour mean i think they are different from WX/WX+T modes anyway thanks

It is not a 'map mode'. It is a terrain radar..... it shows terrain elevation. Hence, you will only see the colours when reasonably close to the ground. It does have a feature that shows water, and so, if you are closer to the ground and near a coast, you will see terrain and water together, forming coastlines. However, the thing to remember is that it is a terrain radar, not a moving map.

• Deputy Sheriffs

However, the thing to remember is that it is a terrain radar, not a moving map.

Sorry, but this is completely wrong! There is no terrain radar. it is simply called Terrain on ND. And what is shown there is based on a database and not a radar. Military aircraft sometimes have a terrain radar, but for a completely different purpose.

Bruno, the map mode of the weather radar will show colours according to the strength of the radar returns from the ground, just like the WX and WX+T modes do with returns from the precipitation: weaker returns are shown in green, stronger returns in red, with yellow somewhere in between.

I haven't found much more concerning the colours in map mode; the only reference I am aware of is the reflectivity scale on p. 4 of the document Otto provided the link for, and the note on p.13:

"Note:
In MAP mode, the gain should always be reduced because of the high reflectivity of the ground."

Sorry, but this is completely wrong! There is no terrain radar. it is simply called Terrain on ND. And what is shown there is based on a database and not a radar. Military aircraft sometimes have a terrain radar, but for a completely different purpose.

Ok, but it's not a full "map" representation is it? It doesn't consistantly show all coastlines, terrain and water bodies does it? That was the point I was making. It may be database-based, rather than radar-based, but it's still a database of terrain, not a full map presentation.

• Aerosoft

how upto date is this database?

How much do you think mountains and islands move? The database could be a few thousand years old and still pretty valid.

To be clear.... Ground display on a weather radar is based on radar returns, not on a database. You can see islands etc. Terrain Display on the ND is based on a database.

Archived