Auto climb

I set a flight for 30000 ft. TAT and SAT +28c. I took off and climbed to 180. Flaps and gear up. Autopilot and autothrottle engaged. I set the throttle lever in climb mode. I get a TOGA LK on the display but cycled auto throttle and engaged into thrust mode. Aircraft then slowed down to 160 and starts decending. The aircraft just continued in a decent. I did notice the TAT and SAT were around -5 and -10c. Not sure if active sky next is causing a conflict. This is obviously frustrating considering I'm trying to fly for my VA and I can't fly. I even took the aircraft off autopilot and auto throttle and moved engines to full and only got up to 180knots. Any thoughts?

Your hardware calibration is wrong, because it's limited to a specific amount of thrust. The low speed causes the Bus to switch over to "TOGA LK" mode automatically, preventing the plane from stalling. 

1. Check your windows game controller settings.

2. Check your settings in FSX/P3D (the thrust lever sensitivity must be set to maximum)

Let me know if that worked out for you. 

If it didn't, please say which hardware device you are using.

I have the saitek X-55 rhino.  I just did a flight the night before with no problems. Can't figure it out. I've tried restarting FSX. I'm thinking about shutting down ASN. But I shouldn't need to. 

Hi,

i understand:

you set the FCU with 30000 ft, all others managed mode (dashes and points), after takeoff you climb to FL180 und set the Thrustlever at the THR RED Alt (flashing LVR CLB in the PFD) in CLB. In FL 180 you have the problem with TOGA LK / Descend and you see an SAT / TAT von -5° (at ground 32°)`?

I took off. Couldn't climb above FL160. Was stuck between 160-180 knots the whole time. The aircraft would then descend automatically to increase the set airspeed. At that point I just exit FSX

Are you sure the SID doesn't have any altitude restrictions that prohibit you from climbing any higher. And is your mcdu set correctly so that the crz altitude matches the FCU.

When do you switch from take off thrust (FLEX or TOGA) to the climb mode? In an airbus you have a thrust reduction and an accelarate height. By default both values are set to 1500 feet above the elevation of the aerodrome which you enter as your departure airport in the INIT page on the MCDU.

You can look up and edit these heights on the take off PERF page on the mcdu, looks like this:

Please login to display this image.

You should keep your take off thrust until you reach your "Thrust Reduction Height", then you reduce the thrust to climb mode. (There is also a white "LVR CLB" sign flashing up in the top left corner of the PFD, which reminds the pilot to put the thrust lever into CL position)

Also, please have a look how much engine thrust is actually used during take off and climb. You can check this by observing the upper ECAM display. There are percentage numbers - one for each engine - given right next to "N1". 

You fly with FSX, in this case you can control, you´ve selected in the FSX menue / options / settings / general  HYBRID (Feet / Millibar)?

• Deputy Sheriffs

If the situation can be recreated, screenshots would be helpfull:

- what you entered in the MCDU before take off

- screenshots of the FCU PFD and ND at moment when the problem appears

Archived