On approach, and A319 goes to full throttle and starts climbing

bobsk8

I have had this happened twice, with some normal approaches in between these flights. I am about 3000 feet descending approaching the ILS, at 180 knots, and all of a sudden the aircraft goes to full power and starts climbing, when everything is in auto mode. In order to stop it I have to right click throttle and altitude, and pull the throttle all the way down,  to get it under control again, by this time I am a few thousand feet higher and have to fly it in a circle to get down to the ILS again at the correct altitude. It was as if I had hit the TOGA button, but I didn't.  

Have you been still clean, or have you been already on flaps 1?

I may have been still clean, but not sure at this point. I was using co-pilot and not sure if it went to flaps one or not. I made another flight last night and everything worked perfectly. I will try and be more specific if it happens again.  

• Deputy Sheriffs

It sounds as if the aircraft was about to stall and the computers took over with TOGA thrust. This is a normal protection of the Airbus. Make sure that the speed is not too close to Vls in windy/gusty conditions because the low speed (high AoA) protection can be triggered when the speed (AoA) limit is reached.

It sounds as if the aircraft was about to stall and the computers took over with TOGA thrust. This is a normal protection of the Airbus. Make sure that the speed is not too close to Vls in windy/gusty conditions because the low speed (high AoA) protection can be triggered when the speed (AoA) limit is reached.

OK , that makes sense, and while I was busy on the Star approach which was a very confusing one, this may have happened. That is exactly what it acted like, that I had hit a Toga button. 

Archived