Same procedure as last year James........?

Hi all fellow flight simmers !

Being otherwise engaged I haven't touched FS nor followed the FS community for 2 1/2 year.

Have been missing it though.

I had (still have) FS9 with amazing load of add-ons and self-made work installed into two still fairly heavy

computers.

I want to start up again quitting FS9 - better to have a fresh up-to-date start rather than bringing to life again my FS9 installation; having to remember/reconstruct and recapitulate all I have tweaked and modified previously. Having an overview of all the new add-ons and learning what is feasible with FSX and Prepar 3D makes abandoning FS9 even more easy.

I still have questions, however, hoping that you guys can guide me a bit back to the skies.....

My decision is to go for FSX. I will additionally add a new even more powerful computer to my hardware resources. Hence, performance capabilities will be a minor issue to my new FS installation.

Sounds a bit posh?; well I'm getting a bit older (children out and bills payed, you know...) and this will be my last FS ever. So, I want to give this hobby of mine a real new kickoff this time.

Spec. for my new computer is not decided.

Will f.ex. following do?:

¤ Intel Core i7-4790K

¤ Corsair DDR3 16 GB 1600MHz Low Profile

¤ MSI Z97 GAMING 5, Socket-1150

¤ 2 x MSI GeForce GTX 980 4 GB PhysX CUDA

¤ Kingston SSDNow V300 240 GB 2.5" OEM

¤ Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

¤ Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB

Regarding FSX itself and then all kind of add-ons;

What OS; W7-64 or W8.1-64 ??

What version of Direct X ?

Then, what about FSX Gold (or sole FSX with accel. pack) and steam ?

As to Mathijs tests I understand that the FPS issue is of no significance; not for me in any case.

I have, however, following thoughts:

If Dovetail Games makes improvements to the sim in parts that used to be hard-coded e.g. the AI-engine, this would probably be offered as an upgrade. This would not be possible with the existing FSX Gold. What do you think about this issue ?

This was much, I'll stop now. Hope to hear from you fellows.

Carl

• Deputy Sheriffs

2 Geforce GTX 980's would be one too many for FSX. What kind of monitor/resolution are you planning to use? And will the computer be solely for FSX or also for BF4 etc?

I have a number of different monitors (4) with different resolutions. I can't recall exact at present ( my installation is situated in my cottage - where I spend a lot of time... ), however, 2 of them are rather old so I will get replacement for one or both. Do you have any to recommend and what resolution do think will be most suitable for the AC-panels (PMDG, CS, Aerosoft and so on )?

The installation ( 3 computers and monitors as required or adequate for a total harmonized FSX installation ) will be used solely for FSX.

Regarding the graphic solution; thanks ! That's sort of consultancy I'm in need of. I should perhaps be looking for a more powerful single card ?

Carl

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, an SLI setup will give you no benefits with FSX when using a single monitor setup.

Because you want to hook up more monitors it may help a bit but maybe somebody else could pitch in because I have no experience with that.

A more powerful card than an 980GTX is not yet on the market right now. The Titan is faster in a few fields but within FSX it may be perhaps 3-5% faster (the card itself, not the total FPS in the sim). If at all.

ATI cards are a no no for FSX so I would stick with the 980.

Thanks a lot.

You're right. No need to set up more than FSX can benefit from.

Hope time, searching and guiding will help me finding the most efficient configuration for FSX.

You are all very welcome with suggestions and to share your experience.

Carl

Why not try P3Dv2.4. I believe all new products will be compatible and it is much more stable then FSX. Plus high settings in FSX is medium settings in P3D.

I have not had a OOM or CTD with P3D in over 40 flights. I think P3D has a 60 day refund policy if your not happy with the product.The Academic version is fine.

The good news is that yes, you can cut out the expense of the second video card.

Do find some faster memory since, even at 1600mhz, you're still holding your CPU back. See the following:

http://postimg.org/image/a9q9ezbcp/

http://postimg.org/image/b3ezyhsef/

Granted, you won't realize all of the performance benefits from these benchmarks in the real-world, er, sim-world since FSX and P3D are so core 0 intensive (the benchmarks use much, much more of the processor and all of the cores much better). But, still, it's not an expensive upgrade.

Lastly, don't mess with Win8. Just stick with Win7 x64 and call it a day.

Bob Savo;

You may well be right with your choice. I suppose I have been predisposed with MS FS after all these years starting with FS5.

Have looked into Prepare3D with more carefulness this time. Back to square one then..... It's OK, I have time and that's obviously what I need.......

One, major, drawback with P3D is the lack of compatibility sticking to some really nice "must have" add-ons; PMDG will not support P3D with their complete range of ACs and I suppose other developers also will have a reduced product range regarding P3D.

Does P3D have its own unique AI-engine; how does it work; or is it more of a copy of the old FS codes ?

Archived