A319 CFM Rotation/Climbout

starvip

Hi guys got a few questions regarding the wonderful Airbuses in particular the A319.

1. I use the a319 cfm easyjet around the uk and europe quite a bit and have noticed that the aircraft seems very reluctant to leave the ground at VR. I am rotating the plane smoothly but the aircraft appears to hover just a above the runway considerably before the vs increases to a normal climbout even with TOGA. This is especially apparent when using conf 1+F. Im only carrying around 5-6000 kgs of fuel usually and ZFWs of around 53,000kgs. Im no FDE expert but it feels like the flaps do not provide enough lift after rotation. It becomes less noticable on config 2,3 takeoffs but is still there. Doesnt appear to be a problem in the IAE version or the a318. Can make for some very interesting takeoffs at places like luton and bristol where the runway is quite short! In comparison the new 320 at the same airports was up and away when the pitch in the rotation was around 7-8 degrees which based on what ive seen looks very accurate.

Here is a vid of a a319 rotating out of EGGD. As you can see around 7-8 degrees it up and away whereas my bus after rotation for the first 500ft acts more like a fully loaded A340 with max FLEX :)

2. Again I'm no bus pilot but are the initial climbout vertical speeds accurate? EGSS-EGPH I sometimes hit 4500fpm when accelerating to 250kts and 5000+fpm on the A320..I know the bus is quite light but from what ive seen around 3500 seems more accurate, ie from pilots eye videos, flightradar24 etc. I absolutely love the way the thrust is modeled and how with height the commanded CL N1 creeps up as it should, but I get the feeling it starts a little higher at lower weights than it should, same for the A320.

Hope to hear from you maybe its me that has done something wrong!

Miles

Hi Miles, how about trim value?

Best

Miquel.

I usually get the cg in the load manager to be in the green range (26%) usually which give me values around the 0.8UP mark. Do you think I should try to shift it a little?

Miles

• Deputy Sheriffs

seems to be a local proklem, as the A318/319/320/321 quite exactly behaves as it should (aacording to our realworld pilots):

- do you have accufeel installed?

- did you work through the tutotrial?

- did you exactly follow the sequence of the checklist and not mix up anything?

I have done everything properly. Have been flying the Airbus series from the beginning. As ive stated none of the other variants leave the ground in such a way. I do not use accufeel. Its as though the calculated v speeds are too low and a/c doesn't want to leave the ground initially, during the rotation it almost pauses vs around 500fpm floats for a while at low and then remembers to climb away. The is no problem with the climbout like the accufeel users report. Im not sure if I'm making my point clear because I'm not great at explaining things lol :mallet_s: The IAE 319, CFM/IAE 320 all leave the ground early in the rotation after only a few degrees just like the video I posted above. Video examples of the PFD below, given the second vid was at a rediculously low weight :D

• Deputy Sheriffs

Please post the exact data for one of your flights where this happens.

ZFW, PAX, Fuel, Cargo, CI, Vspeeds, Flapsetting, Weather, CRZ FL. The lot.

With this information we will try to reproduce your problem on our systems.

Thanks

ps, an YT video of your take off would be more helpful than an RW one.

Regarding issue n°1 I can conferm it happens also on my system: the Airbus is quite sluggish to rotate. Also from my side no accufeel installed and using Vspeeds calculated from an external software.

I'm speaking about the A319: I cannot say it's also an A320/A321 problem as I still didn't have them on my system

Please post the exact data for one of your flights where this happens.

ZFW, PAX, Fuel, Cargo, CI, Vspeeds, Flapsetting, Weather, CRZ FL. The lot.

With this information we will try to reproduce your problem on our systems.

Thanks

ps, an YT video of your take off would be more helpful than an RW one.

Ok I shall give data later this evening. Although its worth noting that it happens on every flight from every destination in all the weather conditions ive had, be it hot cold, no wind or strong headwinds but seems to be more noticable with CONF 1+F takeoffs where there is obviously less lift being provided. Thanks for looking into it!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ok I shall give data later this evening. Although its worth noting that it happens on every flight from every destination in all the weather conditions ive had, be it hot cold, no wind or strong headwinds but seems to be more noticable with CONF 1+F takeoffs where there is obviously less lift being provided. Thanks for looking into it!

In that case I can already say that I do not have this behaviour on my system. Did you perhaps change the controller settings or are you flying with a vanilla FSX controller setup?

And you are rotating with 3 degrees per second to around 15 degrees nose up?

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just flew a few take offs with the EasyJet A319 and I cannot confirm your problems. It rotates and climbs like the other airbusses.

We can debate about it being sluggish but other than that it works from my side.

Any one else with the same problems as the first poster. (pausing/floating/slow climb rate with 15 degrees nose up)

Archived