Scenery conflict at Lukla

rpiereck

I just bought the wonderful Lukla scenery, and it's really impressive, however there is a small conflict between the Lukla scenery and my global mesh: as you can see on the picture below the original mountain mesh spills over the Lukla scenery, as if it were an avalanche...

fs9-0227.jpg

I cannot just remove the whole mesh scenery as it is global, it covers the whole world. Any way to exclude that mountain from the scenery?

Thanks!

• Aerosoft
I just bought the wonderful Lukla scenery, and it's really impressive, however there is a small conflict between the Lukla scenery and my global mesh: as you can see on the picture below the original mountain mesh spills over the Lukla scenery, as if it were an avalanche...

I cannot just remove the whole mesh scenery as it is global, it covers the whole world. Any way to exclude that mountain from the scenery?

Thanks!

What mesh is that, rpiereck? It's not very precise in this region but we should be able to solve the issue as FS is good at loading mesh of different densities.

It's Abacus' World Extreme Landscapes, not the best out there, but covers the whole world and it's better than the default mesh. It's supposed to be 38-meter density in the Himalayas and other mountain chains, 76-meter elsewhere.

• Aerosoft
It's Abacus' World Extreme Landscapes, not the best out there, but covers the whole world and it's better than the default mesh. It's supposed to be 38-meter density in the Himalayas and other mountain chains, 76-meter elsewhere.

We are checking (the dev is on it) but if that is 38 meter mesh it sure looks very strange. Just look at that rock face, what we see is far more then 38 meter on your screenshot and there is a clear lack of definition in mesh there. It should never take over our mesh if standard SDK's would be used.

Our mesh for the region is based on the highest commercially available data and FS will alway put the highest mesh on top of less dense mesh (we only work according to SDK's for that). I actually doubt there is 38 meter mesh for this region available outside militairy sources (that we can not get at obviously).

But hold on, we are looking at the issue...

Hi!

Sorry, but for me as the dev it's impossible to do anything about this issue. It looks like this mesh has been highly interpolated to a higher LOD than Lukla's mesh although the sources weren't even close to that LOD. FS always loads the highest LOD's mesh (which is usually the better one as long as it is not interpolated).

I can just recommend you to deactivate this other 3rd party mesh as doesn't show the reality anyway. Just look at the background in your screenshot: There is definetely no such valley but a very high mountain range.

Sascha

• Aerosoft
Hi!

Sorry, but for me as the dev it's impossible to do anything about this issue. It looks like this mesh has been highly interpolated to a higher LOD than Lukla's mesh although the sources weren't even close to that LOD. FS always loads the highest LOD's mesh (which is usually the better one as long as it is not interpolated).

I can just recommend you to deactivate this other 3rd party mesh as doesn't show the reality anyway. Just look at the background in your screenshot: There is definetely no such valley but a very high mountain range.

Sascha

To make this a bit less technical... the mesh that causes the problem PRETENDS to be more dense then it actually is. This will cause problems not only with our product but with almost any product that has small sections of dense mesh.

In fact, when I look at your image and compare it to a default Fs2004 I think the default Fs2004 has denser mesh, it sure looks a lot better, more undulating terrain, this causes better definition and more different textures (see how my screenshot shows the steeper areas with bare rock, where your screenhsot shows a far less varied terrain).

Unless there is some problem with the installation on your system (but that is hard to imagine as the 3rd party mesh is clearly loaded), we can only say that it seems to degrade Fs2004 in this area and also pretents to be something it is not.

Can't I just add an exclude file to exclude this mesh I have installed in the areas that are covered by Aerosoft's mesh? I'm researching how do I go about turning that mesh off only in that area or region... I'll also try contacting Abacus, the maker of that mesh.

• Aerosoft
Can't I just add an exclude file to exclude this mesh I have installed in the areas that are covered by Aerosoft's mesh? I'm researching how do I go about turning that mesh off only in that area or region... I'll also try contacting Abacus, the maker of that mesh.

The area covered is shown in the manual. Will you be so kind to let me know what Abacus offers as a solution? It's a very strange situation when default scenery looks better then the same location with an addon product.

Just to let you know: Unfortunately it is not possible to exclude a mesh scenery. Flightsim always loads the highest density mesh (or at least the mesh that pretends to be higher density), no matter how the priorities in the Scenery Library are set.

The only way would be to deactivate that faulty mesh file from Abacus for this area (which is most likely larger that the area covered by Lukla) and replace it with something better like Holger's Freeware Mesh covering the complete Himalaya's (and compatible with Lukla).

Sascha

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I removed Abacus' mesh, but it didn't work, the "avalanche" was still there, so I turned off all mesh I have installed, and that didn't help either. Then I turned on all mesh and reinstalled Abacus; no change again. Then yesterday I increased my screen resolution to the highest level my monitro would take, 1600x1200x32, and magically the avalanche disappeared! I am not sure how the resolution affected the scenery but now the Lukla scenery is as it should be, and my frame rates have even gone up! FS can be strange sometimes...

Well, I removed Abacus' mesh, but it didn't work, the "avalanche" was still there, so I turned off all mesh I have installed, and that didn't help either. Then I turned on all mesh and reinstalled Abacus; no change again. Then yesterday I increased my screen resolution to the highest level my monitro would take, 1600x1200x32, and magically the avalanche disappeared! I am not sure how the resolution affected the scenery but now the Lukla scenery is as it should be, and my frame rates have even gone up! FS can be strange sometimes...

Obvious question: What is your FS9.cfg TERRAIN section set to? Please post the various lines below that sub-heading.

There is no relation between screen resolution and in-game mesh resolution so the fact that changing the resolution fixed it is coincidental. More likely the change in res forced a reload of the textures which had been cached.

The terrain section in my cfg is as follows:

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000

TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=18

TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8

TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5

TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=0

Also, what part of my cfg sets the radius of image focus? At long distance my images appear blurry, while other people's pictures are crisp. My compuater should be capable of handling high resolutions at far distances:

P4 3.06 GHz, 1 GB DRAM, NVidia GE Force 7600 GT w/ 512 Mb, fps is around 30 fps, resolution now is 1600x1200x32

There's your problem, right there. You must gave taken advice from an idiot or decided to experiment and forgot what you changed.

Terrain_Max_Vertex_Level = 18 should be at least 19, for 76m mesh to show properly, or 20 for 38m. 19m mesh needs 21. The FS default is 19, so someone changed that - and caused these problems.

And the rest of the scenery settings are not optimised for your cards capabilities. Try these:

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000

TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21

TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8

TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5

TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.50000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.50000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

That, I think will deal with the problem.