Cheyenne Sound problem?

sobaka

First...great looking plane..all I need now is more ram :roll: Anyway, is it just me? But I seem to have a sound problem....take off...throttle up...no problem...but once in the air, if I throttle back, I see the rpm guages decrease, but the sound stays at high rpm, there is no difference in the engine sound no matter how I adjust the throttle. Even on final approach, throttle right back to idle, the rpm guages drop off..sound doesn't change..stays at high rpm, only after touchdown and the wheels are on the ground,does the rpm sound drop off. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas what's going on?

Brian aka Sobaka :cry:

I haven't seen that at all in the Cheyenne, but I have seen it in the Feelthere Caravan. Guess that doesn't really help does it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I´m also having the same problem, no matter how slow I increase the torque setting. Reducing the power doesn´t affect the sound at all.

Any more ideas or hints?

Thanks!

Ingo

Are you sure the rpm gauges drop?

When you throttle back engines with a constant speed prop, the torque drops, but the rpm tends to stay constant to a certain point. Only when the torque drops below a certain level do the props begin to slow down (air resistance on the blades begins to slow them?).

I notice a change in sound normally on flare, when the props start slowing down, before then, the prop levers are at full/fine setting, ie full forward, to allow for maximum power should a go around be necessary...

There are subtle changes in engine sounds on adjustment of the throttles, but the major component, the propellor whine, is ever present at unchanged pitch pretty much all the way down the glideslope...

Hope this helps...

Andrew

a bit off topic, but afaik the prop rpm of a constant speed prop only changes when the throttle lever is below flight idle (only on ground) or if there is a thrust management sys with different modes; TO, CLB,..., and another mode is selected, of course assumed that the prop lever is always left in the same position.

but perhaps this is different in the cheyenne. :roll:

The rpm of a constant speed prop only changes when the throttle lever is above flight idle. At flight idle, the prop speed is definitely below the 2000rpm/1900 rpm or so... on the ground at least...

Well, no pilot here myself, but aren't the throttles pulled back to flight idle prior to touchdown during the flare?

At which point, the prop rpm would begin to drop with the related drop in whine...

anyway, I'm going to do some circuits in the Cheyenne tonight and check it out...

Perhaps if time, a comparison with the Aeroworx King Air B200 as well (probably the most accurate turboprop model in FS)

Andrew

when the throttles are above flight idle the propgovernour defines the propangle, thus the prop speed. at this stage the prop is controlled to hold a certain rpm, so its constant. on the ground below the flight idle position, the throttles define the propangle, so when u apply more thrust the propspeed is faster, and vice-versa. and since u cant go below flightidle in-flight, the prop speed is constant, depending on the proplever-position.

but as is said i dunno how this is handled in the cheyenne.

• Developer

The governor of the prop has a certain range in which it can operate and the props have a range they turn which is from nearly flat (15°) = high RPM to somewhat 45° for low RPM. In feather they move further to 75° or more depending on prop, so that the prop stops in flight for minimum resistance.

To run in the controlled range a certain torque is needed and when you are in low power the prop somewhere hits the lower end of its beta range in flight. An even lower range is on ground (close to 0°).

So when you reduce the power during flare we were told that the prop just looses RPM during that flare, depending a bit on the speed you are at. At high speed, it continues to maintain 2200, at 90-95 it is at the limit and at 80 it is starting to go lower in RPM. As soon as on ground it takes ground limit and the RPM drop and brake very well. Only moving them into beta or reverse would brake more.

I hope that helps a bit.

Hi,

your answers are interesting, but they haven´t helped me yet. In every other plane decreasing the power setting leads to an audible change of the engine sound in flight. In the Cheyenne however, this is different. As the first person in this thread described, the sound of the engine remains the same until the landing.

Is that normal or is it a bug?

Ingo

Hi,

your answers are interesting, but they haven´t helped me yet. In every other plane decreasing the power setting leads to an audible change of the engine sound in flight. In the Cheyenne however, this is different. As the first person in this thread described, the sound of the engine remains the same until the landing.

Is that normal or is it a bug?

Ingo

• Developer

Ingo, it is fully correct that the sound does not change when you move the throttle. The major sound change comes from RPM changes and if you listen carefully and turn it loud enough you will hear bit of a change with throttles but not from the prop but from the turbine, so the high frequency changes.

Many other planes do that simmulate wrongly, even the MS King Air :roll:

Hi,

thanks for your replies. I did notice the difference in the turbine sound, but since I don´t know what the real plane sounds like I got confused. That´s the kind of problem you get with computer pilots :wink:

Since I now know that everything is working perfectly, I will go on and enjoy the good product!

Ingo

Hi,

thanks for your replies. I did notice the difference in the turbine sound, but since I don´t know what the real plane sounds like I got confused. That´s the kind of problem you get with computer pilots :wink:

Since I now know that everything is working perfectly, I will go on and enjoy the good product!

Ingo

• Developer

The confusion comes that the default turboprops and therefore also some addons too have it wrong too, so people belive it is right the way these planes sound. Be assured the sound we did is correct to a turboprop with free prop axle.