Can't tune ILS or VOR

Michael2

• Developer

I can't tune anything on the NAV radio. The tool tip shows I am on the correct frequency. I am running P3D 2.2. Is there anything else I need to turn on after loading the aircraft with the engines running? The selector switch on the nav display seems to do what it should. I have a switch on the radio panel set to AG and another to on. On the centre pedestal is an ILS master switch I've set to on. What am I missing?

VOR and ILS freqs are set on the TACAN unit. See manual page 17.

After selecting "ready to start" TACAN and ILS are powered up so you only need to:

- Select ILS mode on the HSI

- Set runway bearing with HSI "SYN" knob

- Select "A/G" on the TACAN unit

- Set ILS TACAN channel on the TACAN unit

Example:

ILS freq in FSX = 111.50 -> Use TACAN chart to lookup the TACAN channel = 52 -> Set the TACAN Unit to 52.

Yes it works as You need but in "old" kind of gauges / systems. No VOR but its a simulations of TACAN. In P3D works too.

• Developer

Thanks for the replies. I needed to press "shift 2" and ready to start. This seems a little bizarre, as the aircraft loads with the engines running and systems working for the most part. I think it would save a lot of people some trouble if the manual explicitly stated this was necessary.

Thanks for the replies. I needed to press "shift 2" and ready to start. This seems a little bizarre, as the aircraft loads with the engines running and systems working for the most part. I think it would save a lot of people some trouble if the manual explicitly stated this was necessary.

Hi

Shift + 2 "ready to start" is not compulsory , it is merely a short cut . It is better to use the Flight Reference Cards (Shift + 3) which take you systematically through the cockpit procedures , that way you will learn where everything is much more quickly .

"ready to start" simply switches everything on if you just want to fly , if you load with the engines stopped ( it depends on the state of the default flight ) you just have the two starter buttons to press . If the engines are running or you use ctrl+E or slew to start , shift +2 "ready to start" will set all the switches to their correct positions .

• Developer

This is just a suggestion, but I think it would potentially save many people from a lot of frustration. Most people are going to be loading the aircraft with the engines running. It is then counter intuitive to go to the Sift 2 dialogue and press a button that says "ready to start", because the engines are already started. If the button said "takeoff state" or something like that, users would know that this will configure the aircraft for flight. Similarly, once you're on the runway with engines running, no one is going to want to go through all the checklists starting from cold and dark in order to figure out what the one thing is that is preventing the nav radio from working. Another approach would be for the aircraft's default state to be ready for flight.

When I have the time, I'm sure I'll go through the checklists and learn where everything is, and how everything works, but starting out, it would have been nice to know that pressing "ready to start", even though the engines are running, would configure the aircraft as needed.

Archived