Airport Quiz 1 - Guess the airport

Sasa

Have you got the exact co ordinates. My computer doesnt want to open that file, becuase i havent got Google Earth installed (plays all hell with my Graphics gard)

Here is the picture with the coordinates from Google Earth:

wreck2xo.jpg

Greetings

Tim

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, Mathijs, may it be, that you see Catalinas everywhere during the design of the Aerosoft Catalina ? Just kidding.....

I really think it´s a B-24.

It doesn´t have anything in common with an Avanger, as I see it....

It doesn´t have anything in common with an Avanger, as I see it....

Nope, but then does it have anything in common with anything! :lol:

It would have been an avenger, had it been pope hill. Hence i wanted to know the location (see the above link)

PS: On a side note, i am still curious as to if the airport is C23 or ANG. It does change the quiz result.

Do you see all the water around the wreck location and the old seaplane ramps? I guess it's a rather Catalina than a B-24. It's not even within the glideslope to the runway.

Sascha

Hey, Sascha, could you please eamil me at Freddieclark9@ hotmail.com (remove the space). I just want to ask you something without taking the thread OT.

Cheers :)

I would guess that it is whatever was operation out of the airfied during the battle. Its pretty much in line with the main runway, and form the sheer amount of wreck it looks unlikely to be a cat that drifted for 3 miles then dumped itself in a single spot.

If it was a drifting Cat then it would be spread out along that coast.

Then again, another way of looking at it is the way the bits are laid out. There is no logical pattern. This would support the Cat theory, where it drifted and WAS THEN moved to that spot. Leaving it in no logical order.

Then again, another way of looking at it is the way the bits are laid out. There is no logical pattern. This would support the Cat theory, where it drifted and WAS THEN moved to that spot. Leaving it in no logical order.

I'm pretty sure that the wreck didn't crash at the same location where we found it. It lust looked too dumped next to the roads shoulder.

Sascha

Ahh, okay, that does help, as it disproves the theory that it is an aircraft form an airbse.

B-26's are apparently about. And Zero's were used as suicide aircraft.

Also remember that if it is dumped, then it might not be just one aircraft, but parts form others too.

I wouldn´t say it can´t be a B-24, just because it isn´t in the direction of the runway, few B-24´s were shot down by zeros, while bombing the island.

But on the other hand, if it is dumped there, I understand how the fuse could be lying there... Than it could possibly be a Catalina....

I wouldn´t say it can´t be a B-24, just because it isn´t in the direction of the runway, few B-24´s were shot down by zeros, while bombing the island..

Oh, no, what i ment was i thought it could be whatever it was at the airbase. It could still be that, its just means that it wasnt downed due to pilot error on landing. Some other way.

In all honesty what we have to do is look at a radius from the island (say 5 miles) and see everything that crashed nearby.

• Aerosoft

Oh, no, what i ment was i thought it could be whatever it was at the airbase. It could still be that, its just means that it wasnt downed due to pilot error on landing. Some other way.

In all honesty what we have to do is look at a radius from the island (say 5 miles) and see everything that crashed nearby.

And everything that was dumped there. As far as I can see the wing and fuselage were positioned (dumped) as they are shown, side by side. This does not look like a crash site, it looks like a place a bulldozer dumped a wreck.

As we'll never find out this way, I will be offline for a few weeks to investigate on site. Expect all our prices to be raised because the tickets are pretty expensive.

This does not look like a crash site, it looks like a place a bulldozer dumped a wreck.

Indeed. I had another look in my travel guidebook (Moon Handbooks - Micronesia) and it says that "some aircraft wrecks are buldozed into the bushes near camp beck." (Camp Beck = the area you see on the Google Earth image).

Sascha

• 3 weeks later...
Expect all our prices to be raised because the tickets are pretty expensive.

I have not got the time to read the full thread here...... but was pretty darn funny, good one :D I'm a simple soul to amuse..... sometimes :)

Best