High CPU Utilization

I am running GATC on a laptop and I noticed by CPU Cooler going nuts... turns out that GATC is using up an entire CPU, even when paused. CPU Utilization only goes down when window is minimized. Using the CPU that way not only create and immense amount of heat to be "fanned out", it also reduces battery life when playing mobile. Any chance you can take a look?

Andreas

PS: One other thing to mention: I have waited for a goot ATC [Game|Simulation] for a bit - this one has the potential to be fun - I really appreciate your work on thjis and the release :)

Well,

this will be hard as GATC is (like FSX - funny xD) very CPU dependent. You almost don't need GPU for it. If this is big issue for some users I will look for some solutions but amount of data to calculate & display on scope is enormous so no promises.

One of the ideas thought is FPS limiter. What frame-rate would satisfy you for instance? :)

I was not necessarily surprised that it was high on the CPU when running - there is probably quite a bit to computer. However, I was surprised with it using high CPU load when paused, in which case I would not have expected any type of computation going on... I don't really worry about it, I was just noticing it really heating up my CPU.

Andreas

...but now, I have to add, running EDDF has driven me into an automated thermal shutdown... CPU went way above 90°, I understand that there is need for computation but I am not aware of any other software driving my system beyond its thermal abilities...

Andreas

I must tell you that this is strange... Please run some stress test software as this sound like your computer might be in danger! GATC is not that heavy on CPU. Some of the testers (me included) were playing GATC while flying FSX on the same machine so it's not GATC at fault but rather your hardware. Check your cooling system, thermal paste might be old or if this is laptop dust might be blocking air flow...

The situation you described directly points to hardware issues.

I beg to differ - I ran a CPU Benchmark, as you asked - the result is attached as "CPU Benchmark". It maxed (as expected) the CPU to 100% and keeps it there - Temp is raising to just shy of 90°C.

I then ran GATC - it also maxes out the CPU - but only one Core (which I assume means it is a single-core application). While running EDDF with only two a/c, the temps go up to where they had been with the Benchmark... in other words: GATC constantly maxes out the CPU... OK, there is some stuff to calculate but with two a/c only? (see GATC 1)

I then paused GATC (which I mentioned previously and let the window show. You can see how the CPU Temp remains up, so does the CPU usage... with a paused application, quite unexpected. I then minimized the window - which makes the CPU Usage/Temp drop. Showing it again (still paused) brings it back to stress... (GATC 2)

As a result, I don't think this is the hardware - for a couple of reasons:

a) the CPU is not the latest model, still it is capable of running any other software just fine and that, for example, includes CPU intense software like OCR and PDF manipulation.

B) if GATC is capable of maxing out a CPU with only two or three a/c, then even more potent hardware will have an issue with 10 or 20 a/c...

c) I can directly control the temperature by maximizing/minimizing GATC... expect for it does not work very well when minimized ;)

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to bitch at you or have an answer tomorrow (yes, it is christmas and then there will be new years - and there is family to care for). I am just trying to make a statement that I think there is something in the code that might have a chance of being finetuned...

Andreas

post-82-0-71008700-1387662103_thumb.png

post-82-0-08560200-1387662166_thumb.png

post-82-0-10125700-1387662383_thumb.png

• Aerosoft

I just experimented a bit and find very different results on my i5 machine. CPU load from GATC is hardly above 15% when running and dropping to 5% in pause. On my i3 laptop I get 20% - 5%.

I cannot explain why it is so different on your system but it is for sure not as we would expect. As Robert said, we often use GATC during long flights in FSX.

post-43-0-49370100-1387711245_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-58134600-1387711251_thumb.jpg

Mathijs,

maybe I can help a bit - following the stated system requirements of "Prozessor (CPU): 2,0 GHz" from your website, I am well in range with this. BUT my CPU (on this laptop) is a bit older - it is actually a DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2800 MHz, And it comes with 2 Cores only.

You i5 will be above that, possibly even with 4 Cores - as such, the total utilization would be lower (and less stress would mean less temperature hence less thermal issues). But if this is the case, you might want to rethink the system requirements (and I would not blame you if you'd raise them).

On the other hand, I appreciate the time you and Robert are giving this and will (upon my return home) see what my "stationary PC" does with it - that one is an i7 and I am relatively sure it will be unimpressed. Nonetheless, you probably want to either see what it does in your environments on an "older" system that still complies with the system requirements or adapt them as needed.

I wish the two of you and your team a very nice Christmas and a good start to 2014 - and I need to make my point: I like GATC, despite having some issues on the system I currently have at my hands!

Thanks, Gentlemen,

Andreas

Thank you very much for the wishes Andreas.

I must say I am worried about your slower PC ;) I tested GATC in Core2Duo 2.2 GHz Laptop from 2008 or so and it was unimpressed like my i7 desktop. Same applies to my netbook with only i3 1.8 GHz dual core. Both lower-end laptops got hot and they were "impressed" with GATC, so to say :P , but none of these went above any save temps ;)

btw, if you just start GATC, load a session on EDDF and play - are your temps going mad? Or is it only when you reload new session without restarting GATC?

I have exactly same issue.

At the end of demo session my laptop is hot like hell, one time due to high temperature, system was closed by CPU temperature sensor.

I have WinXP SP3, my laptop is Intel i5 2.5 GHz, 3 GB of RAM.

BR/Artur

OK, finally home and on my other machine - downloaded GATC and found the following: on an Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz, GATC is eating up between 16% and 20% of the CPU when nothing else is running. It does not take the CPU anywhere near high temps but it still sounds as this would be a bit much, especiall since the numbers don't change with more a/c coming in... they are like that from the beginning...

Andreas

Archived