Prepare descend.. In high altitude

copilot767

Yeah, I think that the whole thing that runs descent preparation checklist before the actual ToD if the plane starts descending (somehow) is very buggy and has brought more bad things than good things.

It happens very often that the wind kicks in hard and changes direction 180°, the plane overspeeds, overspeed protection kicks in, making the plane climb rapidly and then descent preparation checklist is triggered.

In my opinion, it should be removed.

• Deputy Sheriffs

If I fly in FL 350 and want to descend to FL340, only halfway of my route..

The copilot start the descend prepare..

Will there be a solution/update for this ?

Chris from Denmark

Hir Cris,

if your FL according to the MCDU is 350 then changing to FL 340 on the FCU is some kind of descent. ..... Did you try to set the new FL of 340 also in the MCDU or did you just changed the altitude on the FCU?

Hanse

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yeah, I think that the whole thing that runs descent preparation checklist before the actual ToD if the plane starts descending (somehow) is very buggy and has brought more bad things than good things.

It happens very often that the wind kicks in hard and changes direction 180°, the plane overspeeds, overspeed protection kicks in, making the plane climb rapidly and then descent preparation checklist is triggered.

Hi Adrijan,

you made the statement: IT IS VERY BUGGY! Sorry but I never expereinced something like what you described and normally I am flying with real weather = Active Sky 2012. How often this happened to you and why this is the first time a user says something like that? Just to remove it is no suggestion at all. So please be constructive and tell me how start of the checklist should be triggered?

PS: Chris problems is something completely different.....

Hanse

This is definitely not a IT IS VERY BUGGY! Airbux x extended issue. What you are experiencing is the bug in the way that microsoft handles weather in FSX.

You can read about it here.

http://forum.simflig...sing-with-them/

Consult the documentation of which ever weather software you are using to see how to overcome this. For example in Opus fsx I have Opus limiting the change in wind direction and speed direction so that the wind can not change more than 30 knots or 30 degrees for every 32 nm I fly. This prevents the issue of wind direction doing a 180 turn in 5 seconds and going from a gentle breeze to hurricane conditions.

This is not a airbus x extended issue and effects other aircraft as well.

As for what Chris was saying, from my understanding if you change your altitude before you reach the point of descent you need to first enter it into the MCDU.

Roy

Hi Adrijan,

you made the statement: IT IS VERY BUGGY! Sorry but I never expereinced something like what you described and normally I am flying with real weather = Active Sky 2012. How often this happened to you and why this is the first time a user says something like that? Just to remove it is no suggestion at all. So please be constructive and tell me how start of the checklist should be triggered?

PS: Chris problems is something completely different.....

Hanse

This is definitely not a IT IS VERY BUGGY! Airbux x extended issue. What you are experiencing is the bug in the way that microsoft handles weather in FSX.You can read about it here.

http://forum.simflig...sing-with-them/

Consult the documentation of which ever weather software you are using to see how to overcome this. For example in Opus fsx I have Opus limiting the change in wind direction and speed direction so that the wind can not change more than 30 knots or 30 degrees for every 32 nm I fly. This prevents the issue of wind direction doing a 180 turn in 5 seconds and going from a gentle breeze to hurricane conditions.

This is not a airbus x extended issue and effects other aircraft as well.

As for what Chris was saying, from my understanding if you change your altitude before you reach the point of descent you need to first enter it into the MCDU.

Roy

Hello,

Hanse and Roy, I'm sorry for not being clear enough.

To Hanse: The statement "it is very buggy" is not correct, I agree. In fact, it's not buggy at all, just a little badly designed, in my opinion, at least.

I usually fly from Belgrade, Serbia to the south (Greece, Cyprus, Tunis, Dubai...) where wind shifts are very common. I use AS2012 real weather as well, along with wind smoothing with FSUIPC, but sometimes it just happens. That's when the wind shifts 180 degrees, usually the aircraft goes overspeed (or stall), and it gains or loses altitude, which triggers the descent preparation checklist (even though sometimes I am very far away from the ToD).

My suggestion would be to remove the automatic descent preparation checklist when the aircraft changes altitude, but instead only 15NM before ToD. Of course the checklist should still be able to be triggered with 1/right MCDU.

To Roy: I do realize that the wind shifts are definitely not an issue related to the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended, but early prepare descent checklist definitely is (and as I said to my reply to Hanse, it's not a bug, sorry). I have done quite a lot of research on that topic and how to overcome the issue. The best one seems to use FSUIPC wind smoothing and AS2012, but it still doesn't completely remove the problem, because, as I said it still happens sometimes (every 3-4 flights).

And that's why I think that removing automatic descent preparation checklist trigger when the aircraft changes altitude would solve my issue and Chris' one too

P.S. no idea why my post got 2 downvotes, I was just not clear enough, but I still think something should be done about it.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I do not think it is buggy, also. Neither bad designed.

Is a design decission that brings some problems, so lets be constructive.

One of the things we cannot do with this implementation are step changes in altitude while cruising. Not very important in a plane for short to medium ranges but could be important for long distance models (Yes. I will purchase A330 from Aerosoft if everything goes as forecasted).

Just to reinforce the idea of "do not trigger until close to TOD".

regards

It seems that I can never express myself on this properly.

No, it is not either buggy nor badly designed. I apologize for my past sayings.

Yes, I do agree that "it's a design decision that brings some problems".

By the way, let me just say that I don't in any way, never have some sort of "hate" here. I love Aerosoft's Airbus X Extended, and think that it's truly an amazing product. I'm just trying to suggest things so it can be even better.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi, Adrijan.

I would not give it more importance than it deserves...

Is not our mother languaje, and I can assure you my last post was not to blame you, or make you feel bad...

Best regards

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi,

with the next release the "safety trigger" for the Descent Checklist - if the difference between FCU ALT setting and the actual flightlevel is too big - will be deleted......

Hanse

Archived