Descending with the joystick

Zackrampage

Hello all! My problem is this. When flying on vatsim and wanting to do a visual approach. As soon as I disconnect the AP and push my joystick down slightly to descend, the plane overspeeds and stalls and I'm not sure why. I was told to put the throttles in CL mode before trying to push down the joystick. Is that true? Also, is there a way for me to keep the Autothrottle on with the AP off so that i can simply select a speed and not worry about it, but rathe rworry about banking and descending with the joystick so the plane can get down normally? Also, what's a good technique with this plane for a smooth landing?

Hi,

The A320 is actually very easy to handfly, and the speed selection can almost be called "set it and forget it". You can keep your throttles in the CLB detent all the way to the flare for landing, and use either managed speed (pushing the speed FCU knob in), or using selected (pulling the FCU knob). So, yes, you can have the AP disconnected and still let the ATHR have control over the speed.

I noticed baking left and right is smooth not sharp turns so it makes it easier to line up with final, but as far as descending I'm not sure why when i turn AP off and push joystick down the plane overspeeds and stalls, what am i doing wrong? Should i try hitting AT on after turning AP off? Will that let me descend with the joystick? Also will checklists and copilot still work if AP is off on final approach? (ex: flaps, gear down, etc.. done automaticallyby the copilot? or does AP have to be on for that?

It almost sounds like your throttles aren't actually in the CLB detent. If they are, ATHR will already be on, and will stay on unless you manually turn it off or place the throttles in idle. I have to ask for a screenshot or video of when this happens, so we can see what's going on.

As for the checklists and copilot, yes they should work, but some users have had the checklist hang when doing this, and will be addressed in the next hotfix/service pack. It never hurts to try.

Well, may possibly send a screenshot later but, at the begining of the flight after take off when the CL thing starts flashing, I move the lever back till its in CL. At cruise it doesnt say CL anymore, so not sure if its still CL, so how would I check? Should i move the throttle so it says CL before turning AP off or after turning AP off? And when you say easy to hand fly are you referring to its easy to get yourself lined up on final by hand (meaning via joystick) I always do ILS but feel compelled to learn visual, any tips with this plane? Like I said I tried banking left and right it seemednot to make sharp turns which was good.

P.S. - any idea when to expect a new hotfix/service pack?

Once you place the throttles in the CLB detent after takeoff, that's all you need to do. You don't need to touch them again until landing. Use your FCU to control the speed using selected, or you can just keep it in managed mode.

As for the service pack/hotfix, I cannot say, but soon.

All you need to do is right-click the AP1 button and then begin to handfly the aircraft. The AP1 and ATHR are completely different buttons. Are you using an all inclusive assigned button to turn off the AP that also shuts off the ATHR as well? I think we'll need to see some screenshots or a video to help you on this, to see how you are going about it.

I can tell you exactly how I go about it. I push the joystick down, and both the AP and autothrottle disconnect, then i pitch down slightyl and plane overspeeds and stalls. there thats exactly the process.

Using the joystick should only disengage the autopilot. Also, overspeeds and stalls are on opposite ends of the speed envelope. There are also protections installed just like the real A320 to where it will stop you from overspeeding and stop you from stalling. The overspeed protection is to pitch the aircraft up, while the stall protections drop the nose down and apply TOGA power.

Forgive me but something here is not making sense so I have to ask again for screenshots.

So I did an OP descent and after being cleared for visual I disengaged AP 1 and pushed down to descend via the joystick. At no point after turning off my autopilot did I touch the altitude fcu again, only speed so I'm not sure why the plane is climbing and overspending when I try to descend visually with my joystick.

Hi,

i can not read the orange warning message in your upper ECAM, but i think you moved your throttles, and they are no longer in CL!!

They have to be in CL, so dont move your throttle until you flare the plane at 50-20ft above the ground. Thats the first and only point you are using your throttles again after pulling them back from TOGA or FLEX to CL at your ACC heigh.

If your throttles are not staying at CL, the Computer does not take care of your speeds, and if you dont react very fast and without knowing what to do, your are making overspeeds and stalls faster than you can say "Oh God, what is he doing again" :)

Ok,

lets summerize:

- you are doing a normal descent, in whatever way, with your throttles at CL until you reached your Altudide for landing

- You get cleared for a visual approach and want to manuall fly this approach and landing

- so you have your AP1 on, NAV mode selected or managed, Speed mode selected i think

- you switch off your AP and recommended is also to switch of the FD for manual flights.#

- you take manual controll over pitch and bank with your joystick

- your throttles are still at CL

- but your ATHR disengaged at this state oft the flight?

is this so far what you are doing?

Everything you said is correct, except bnot sure what you meant by nav mode. Also, ATHR is engaged not off. But still when i push the stick down to descend, plane overspeeds and starts flipping out.

Everything you said is correct, except bnot sure what you meant by nav mode. Also, ATHR is engaged not off. But still when i push the stick down to descend, plane overspeeds and starts flipping out.

And you are starting your approach at what speed and altitude? You aren't flying with negative pitch?

@ Zackrampage

with NAV mode i meen your either in HDG select or flying the MCDU route in managed HDG.

If everything is like you confirm, it gets harder and harder. What about your axis settings? Is your joystick configurated correct and no axis is double (in FSX and FSUIPC).

Are you able to make a FSX video of your flight at this stage and attach it to your post?

Does this happen with other Aircraft?

Have you tried to re-calibrate your joystick?

Any weather addons with wake turbulence/turbulence maxed out?

Just asking.

The problem is that you're in open climb, not a good mode to try landing with, as the autothrust commands full climb power. To get out of it just press (left click) the vertical speed knob (rightmost of the 4 FCU knobs). This will put the autothrust into speed mode and it will then try to maintain the 130knts you have selected.

Dave I will try that. Right clicking the vert speed button takes me out of open climb mode? And so when I push the joystick down it shouldn't over speed and let me do things normally? And more stably?

Archived