DirectSound error?

obie311

In an effort to organise my SimObjects\Airplanes into a more manageable size, I created a folder for AI Aircraft and another one for Addon Aircraft. I modified the fsx.cfg as below:

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Addon Aircraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\AI Aircraft

This has worked well with the exception of my Bronco. I get the following DirectSound Error:

"Error opening wave file SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft ov-10B\Sound\ASC_BroncoStart1a.wav"

I know you've circumvented some of the inherent limitations of FSX to obtain such a realistic product.

Is there a path correction somewhere that I can make to allow the inclusion of the Bronco in my Addon Aircraft folder?

Thanks in advance.

Obie

Yes Snave that is what I've done to keep a/c operational. I do like the subfolder organisation of keeping Addons and AI separate from defaults. There is something unique about the Aerosoft file for the Bronco. Just wondering if there is an easy work-around?

Obie

Well, you could find all the aliasing files and re-point the content to the new location. Personally, I simply have a addon aircraft folder as a repository - when I want to fly the Bronco I simply move the full aircraft folder from one location to the other. As both your `aircraft` and `addon aircraft` folder are apparently on the same physical hard drive it's as simple as that - the actual file won't physically move, but it then appears in the GUI.

For handy `housekeeping` and to get some benefit I also make the addon aircraft folder an archive folder using Ultimate Defrag and then I actually gain something from having files closer together on the platter and on a faster part of the drive.

After that, you're just making things unnecessarily complicated for yourself as you'd need to establish the complete file structure and adapt any and all aliasing files.

By the time you've found them all it would probably be quicker to just uninstall and reinstall in the location of choice.

You do realise that with your modifications to FSX and making the `addon aircraft` folder a scanned folder by the sim you haven't actually gained anything at all over just dumping everything in the aircraft folder..?

If what you were looking to do was use the aircraft folder as a ready-use folder to keep the number of `live` aircraft reduced for faster loading then you should remove the entry for the addon aircraft folder in the .cfg and simply use it as a `hangar` - when you want to fly just port the actual aircraft into the aircraft folder and you're good to go...

Thanks for the suggestions Snave. Duly noted.

The move to subfolders was initially just to cull down the ever lengthening list of aircraft to make it easier to grab a file for modification. But your point about reducing loading times by "parking" seldom used aircraft in an archive folder is a very good one.

Strictly mechanically speaking, I would be curious to know where the aliasing files are located even if it's too time consuming to repoint them to a new location. (I take away the assumption from your posting that the repointing of these files would be more than a one-time exercise. Is that correct?)

Any Aerosoft wizards out there know how to modify the path to the soundfiles?

Obie

While we cannt support such measures, You can try to open the asc.cfg in each Bronco panel folder and chenge the path to the \Sound\ASC_Bronco\ folder.

I cannot garanti that it will work, but I see no reason why it shouldn´t.

Finn

Thank you Finn. That was the succinct guidance I needed. It works well. I didn't know to look for the ASC path in the panel folder rather than the sound folder. I had never encountered this before.

Thanks again.

Obie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Personally, I simply have a addon aircraft folder as a repository - when I want to fly the Bronco I simply move the full aircraft folder from one location to the other. As both your `aircraft` and `addon aircraft` folder are apparently on the same physical hard drive it's as simple as that - the actual file won't physically move, but it then appears in the GUI.

Now, this is a very good idea. I will adopt that to my system as well.

Thanks, Simon!

Archived