FF2 Sidewinder and persistent on problem

OK, so this one has me scratching my head...

My uncle is a dedicated FS9-ophile. He has an aged system by the standards of today (Win XP32, AMD 64 Athlon 3000, 2g RAM, AGP Mobo, 6600GT) but it runs FS9 just fine.

He's asked me to look at a recent issue that has cropped up with his MS Sidewinder USB FF2 stick. With no changes to his FS setup (9.1, range of aircraft and scenery addns, no recent additions), he's started seeing the stick remains persistently `live` even after letting go of the optical ports. Seemingly at random, the stick goes `live` even when there are no hands near (he operates mostly on a/p).

I'm trying to troubleshoot this remotely and I've never encountered anything similar before. I've had him make sure the optical sensors are not blocked, reboot the computer and reload the sim from a cold boot, create a fresh FS9. cfg and check the calibration settings and reset the control settings in-sim. But the issue remains, and it still stays `live` even after closing FS. He's also tried plugging into a different USB port.

I'm now drifting toward a DirectInput issue but before I recommend a DX9 re-installation anyone have anything else we can try?

My really unhelpful reply is to say that I had the same issue for months but learnt to live with it, the Sidewinder being very old and well-used. The result was, which may not be connected with the problem, was sparks coming out of the base and the stick becoming unresponsive. Maybe a duff connection inside? I had another Sidewinder which I dismantled and ended up with a box of bits that wouldn't go back together.

• Aerosoft

Just saw the question. I've had the same problems. The problem was some dirt on the upper reflector. Just take a Q-tip, some spiritus (or vodka) and clean it.

It's proven, vodka rules. Mainly because it does the same as WD40 but tastes better.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Snave, I think you need to have your uncle get a 1.5 (or more) of Vodka, get you transportation to his place, show him how to clean the "upper reflector", then finish the bottle together. This sounds like no job for an amatuer. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived