USCX San Francisco

Superglide

Really like what your secenery does for the city and the bridges. However, The Pacific Ocean in the immediate area of San Fran, just off the coast for several square miles, is now desert. The water texture is gone. Here are a couple of screen shots:-2012-jun-6-005.jpg-2012-jun-6-004.jpg

I'm thinking maybe a conflict with another product? ORBX NA North and Central Rockies, MegasceneryEarth California, UTX.

Thanks for your assistance.

Joe

Clearwater, FL

System Specs

CPU:i7-950 @ 4.2 GHz

Mobo:Asus P6T Deluxe V2

RAM:3x2GB Mushkin RedLine DDR3 1600 (6-8-6-24)

GPU:EVGA GTX580

PSU:Corsair TX750W PSU

AUDIO: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

CASE:Antec 900

COOLING:Corsair H70 CPU| Gelid VGA02-10 GPU

Its UTX that usually causes that. Run the little UTX applet thing, let it perform its checks/what ever else it does, exit and then restart the sim, should cure your problems. If not flying in Orbx regions you should really run the FTX central tool to default to prevent any issues.

I ran the UTX applet. No joy. I disabled USCX San Fran in the FSX Scenery Library, restarted FSX, no joy. I uninstalled San Fran, rebooted and restarted FSX, same story, no joy. Now I'm concerned that USCX San Fran permanently changed something in the textures or scenery cfg. I'm no scenery expert, so I'm just throwing out suggestions here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm not seeing it on my USCX San Francisco. It's on top of the MegaScenery Earth tiles around the bay area and down towards Monterey. In fact, comparing your screen shot with mine, it looks like we have almost the same coverage but different tiles. Note how my San Francisco Bay isn't as brown and murky as yours.

I also use Orbx PNW, NRM and PFJ (and other ORBX titles) and changing the active setting in FTX Central has no effect. The latter is probably because San Francisco is far enough away.

post-17951-0-64303500-1339041000_thumb.j

I ran the UTX applet. No joy. I disabled USCX San Fran in the FSX Scenery Library, restarted FSX, no joy. I uninstalled San Fran, rebooted and restarted FSX, same story, no joy. Now I'm concerned that USCX San Fran permanently changed something in the textures or scenery cfg. I'm no scenery expert, so I'm just throwing out suggestions here.

Just to clarify: I just checked it to be sure but US Cities - San Francisco does nothing else than adding its own entry to the scenery library. It doesn't change other files or entries. So if deactivating and even uninstalling this product doesn't solve the problem, the problem must be somewhere else and had to be there even before you installed this product.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm 100% sure you messed up your installation with installing an addon while using ORBX sceneries or vice versa. The screenshot you're showing is a typical result of this.

It is of extrem importance that FTXCentral is set to default when installing other sceneries then FTX! Also it must be set to default when flying outside of FTX areas!

It also could have happened that you installed a scenery without sufficient access rights.

I regularly fly out of SFO and I can honestly say that it was not "messed up" prior to the installation of USCX San Fran. That's exactly why I installed San Fran, to enhance that area. I did not return FTX to default before installing San Fran. It never occured to me it might be a problem since the nearest FTX scenery is NA Central Rockies. I think I have all required access rights, since I am the admin, have the UAC mod, and have never had a problem like this before. I am thinking that the FTX default is most likely the source of this. Can you suggest a course of action. Try FTX default and reinstall? Will that repair the damage done?

Thanks for your replies.

Joe

I'm 100% sure you messed up your installation with installing an addon while using ORBX sceneries or vice versa. The screenshot you're showing is a typical result of this.

It is of extrem importance that FTXCentral is set to default when installing other sceneries then FTX! Also it must be set to default when flying outside of FTX areas!

It also could have happened that you installed a scenery without sufficient access rights.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the cause of the problem neither. Again: The SFO installer only "dumps" the SFO folder in the FSX\Aerosoft\ folder and then adds it to the scenery library. In that context it simply doesn't matter if FTX is activated or not because there are simply no files outside the SFO folder being edited/changed.

Unless the FSX default files haven't been edited the only command that can exclude this area of water is a Waterpoly exclude. But this command hasn't been used in the SFO scenery at all.

Joe, therefore I guess that the problem in your case are corrupted FSX default BGL files for the area. Check the following folder in your FSX directory and look for anything unusual (files, not having the BGL extension ARE something unusual in this folder for example):

FSX\Scenery\0102\Scenery\

In my case (FSX AccPack) this folder has 87 BGL files that sum of to 43.5 MB.

Bests,

Sascha

Thanks for the reply, Sascha.

Ok. I checked the folder FSX\Scenery\0102\Scenery\, Just as you say, 87 BGL files/43.5MB. No unusual extensions, no odd modified dates (all dates in 2006), everything seems normal.

I flew out of KSFO yesterday and, other than the big square desert where the Pacific Ocean should be, everything seemed normal.

What could be over riding those water textures?

Joe

Go in and run the UTX Setup to disable Ultimate Terrain completely. Re-check the area to see if things look closer to normal/default. If so, the entries in the Scenery Library are being implemented, one of which is excluding default terrain. But what isn't being implemented are the UTX features to put the land/water/coastlines back in. This would indicate a problem with the Terrain.cfg file and it's not including the necessary UTX items. Usually starting the UTX Setup program will double-check that these items are in the Terrain.cfg file, but sometimes things go awry, like forgetting to reset other add-ons that want to do changes to that .cfg file. There is a keystroke combo to force the UTX refres of the Terrain.cfg file, I want to say Ctrl-Shift-R, but am not really sure. Checking at the Flight1 UTX forums will get the info from Jeff or Allen.

Thanks Meshman,

I disabled UTX in the setup tool and that corrected the problem. I now have the Pacific Ocean off San Fran back. However, it is a different texture (color) than the surrounding area. Is this the Aerosoft USCitiesX San Fran texture? Also, does this mean I can't run UTX? What if I move either UTX or USCX San Fran up or down in the Scenery Library in FSX?

Joe

• Deputy Sheriffs

I really doubt the ocean texture/color is affected by USCX San Francisco, Joe. The USCX SF just sits on top of whatever scenery tile you have right there in downtown. As Sascha wrote in post #8, all the installer does is puts the files in a folder under your Aerosoft folder in FSX and adds a scenery library entry.

In "With USCX SF", you can see how USCX SF fits in with the MegaScenery Earth tiles and just covers a specific realitively small (but beautifully dense) area. Turning the entry off for USCX SF just leaves the underlying tile as in "Without USCX SF" (The Golden Gate and Bay Bridge aren't lost, they show up when I zoom in). The color of the bay is the same as the nearby ocean tiles well out to sea as well as up and down the coast and is of course due to the palate used by MegaScenery Earth.

I'm still curious about the landclass or tiles you're using. I noted earlier your bay color is rather muddy looking, while mine is much more blue.

post-17951-0-63562600-1339207931_thumb.j

post-17951-0-10426300-1339207950_thumb.j

I appreciate the feedback, Herman, and would like to explore this further. As far as the "landclass or tiles you're using", I must confess that I'm not sure how to determine that. I have several addons, including UTX and MegasceneryEarth California. Could it be one of those? Please elaborate on how to proceed.

ThanKs

Joe

• Deputy Sheriffs

I appreciate the feedback, Herman, and would like to explore this further. As far as the "landclass or tiles you're using", I must confess that I'm not sure how to determine that. I have several addons, including UTX and MegasceneryEarth California. Could it be one of those? Please elaborate on how to proceed.

ThanKs

Joe

I would guess you're using MegasceneryEarth California. Landclass usually describes a selection of generic tiles of city, urban, forest, desert, etc. textures (that desert you see off shore is a great example) that are randomly placed by FSX based on what kind it knows goes in a given geographic "square" of the earth. The tiles of texture are draped over elevation or terrain grids to generate the desired scenery effect. Photorealistic scenery like MegasceneryEarth California replaces these tiles with specially enhanced digital photographs of the corresponding "square." I based my assumption on the resemblance to the photorealisic scenery you see in my pictures to the big sections of scenery in your overhead shots. Notice how everything in my overheads and yours outside the San Francisco Bay area is a block of repeated generic scenery. If you were to zoom in, you'd see those areas, covered with the generic landclass tiles, are monotonously the same.

For the record, I have Megascenery Earth California sets 007, 008, 009, 010, 011, 023, 024, 025 and 049. You'll see yours in the scenery library or in Start/Control Panel/Programs and Features. I'm partial to this part of California as I logged over 5,000 hours there as a flight instructor, charter pilot, corporate pilot and pilot examiner.

UTX, I understand, is a replacement set of textures. I haven't used it myself, so I can't say how much it might be adding to your issues. Matt Smith seems to know something about it, but his suggestion didn't resolve your issue. Perhaps he'll join in with another idea.

If I'm right, UTX and MegasceneryEarth are trying to do the same thing. I suggest disabling all your landclass (UTX, Megascenery Earth and USCX SF) to eliminate conflict. First, change FTX to generic, which will eliminate a big chunk of scenery library entries. FTX Central adds or deletes the folders for the areas you have as one big chunk of entries in the library, saving a whole ton of work by checking or unchecking 20 entries or more. It sounds like you know how to go into your scenery library and disable things just by unchecking the appropriate box. This should take you back to stock FSX. If you still have issues, and you're sure all the add-on scenery is off, you likely have a corrupted scenery.cfg at best or FSX at worst. I don't remember how exactly to rebuild your scenery.cfg file, so maybe someone could chime in. Otherwise, it's a re-install, which first involves a correct uninstallation.

If the above resolves your issue, then re-check the boxes in the scenery library one add-on at a time and then disabling it until you find the culpret.

With regard to order, the usual advice is to have the larger areas lower in the stack followed by smaller areas towards the top. Airports go on top of everthing. Since you're basically layering things one over the other, the smallest and most detailed (an airport) sits on the top of the stack.

Herman,

Thanks for taking the time to analyze and explain this situation. I follow what you are saying. This area of the US is one of my favorite places for flight sim and real world. I'm there every year and will be back in July. I base a lot of my FS flying here. Yes, I have MegaScenery Calif in the area as well as UTX. I was able to get it sorted out as you suggested. Everything seems to be working together now.

I have some "off" colored water in the area, I assume this is the textures installed by USCX SF?

-2012-jun-9-001.jpg

Joe

• Deputy Sheriffs

Really glad to hear the good news, Joe. I'm not certain about the water color, but I'm sure it's not USCX SF. As Sascha wrote and as you saw in post 12, it affects just that small area. As you can see from the tiled appearance, it seems to have someting to do with landclass. Anyway, up close, it won't be an issue

Just to help out someone else with this problem, can you reply with what you did to fix it?

I disabled FTX in FTX Central. I disabled UTX in the UTX setup tool drop down menu Ultimate Terrain/ Quick Enable/Disable. Uninstalled UCX San Fran. Rebooted. Reinstalled UCX San Fran, reboot. Enabled UTX using the drop down menu in setup. Reapplied Orbx in FTX Central. Reboot. And there ya go, all is right again (for now...you know how FSX can be)

Thanks to Hermann, Sascha, Meshman and everyone who chipped in to help me out. Great bunch of simmers here abouts!

Joe

• Upvote 2