How to solve the PAPI lights not matching the ILS glideslope in FSX??

jgoggi

Hi, I see that in many airport sceneries the VASI or PAPI lights are not aligned with the ILS glideslope, I mean, if for example I am perfectly aligned with the glideslope, I see 3 red lights and one white light.

In FS9 this can be solved by opening the AF2_XXXX.bgl file (XXXX is the ICAO name of the airport) with AFCAD and moving the related glideslope symbol back or forth, then saving.

In FSX I tried to open the related file with Airport Design Editor (that is the equivalent of AFCAD for FSX) and to move the glideslope symbol back or forth, but, when I compile the file at the end, it gives me errors and can't compile-save the file. Even if I just open a file and then compile without modifying anything, it gives errors and does not compile!

Is there a way to solve this problem and have the PAPI lights aligned with the glideslope? If they are not aligned, when I follow an ILS manually I get confused because I don't know if I have to look at the glideslope magenta diamond or at the PAPI lights.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

VGSI (VASI and PAPI) are NOT always coincident with the ILS glidepath at some airports. For example, take a look at the CAT III ILS approach chart to KBOS Runway 4R and the difference is noted on the chart. Ensure the airports you're concerned about are not in this category.

VGSI (VASI and PAPI) are NOT always coincident with the ILS glidepath at some airports. For example, take a look at the CAT III ILS approach chart to KBOS Runway 4R and the difference is noted on the chart. Ensure the airports you're concerned about are not in this category.

Thats a Flytampa scenery so you would need to take this up with them, any Aerosoft developed ones its happening on.

Thats a Flytampa scenery so you would need to take this up with them, any Aerosoft developed ones its happening on.

Berlin Tegel or Munich for example. When being on final approach a few hundred feet above the runway the Papi's telling me that I'm not on the correct slope, though I'm perfectly algined with the GS.

Berlin Tegel or Munich for example. When being on final approach a few hundred feet above the runway the Papi's telling me that I'm not on the correct slope, though I'm perfectly algined with the GS.

Is this whilst in a default aircraft like the 737.

Is it the same with a default aircraft or does the PAPI stay correct for the glideslope.

Not sure, I don't fly any default aircrafts. Will check it out though.

Simple. PAPI and F/S will ONLY coincide where both are designed for the eyepoint of the identical aircraft. Without knowing what aircraft the PAPI is designed to suit (usually smaller aircraft where the eyepoint will be significantly lower for the same AGL than in a larger aircraft) all you are seeing is the magnified discrepancy in relative position that amplifies as horizontal distance from the device decreases.

There is nothing `wrong`, you just need to accept that not every airport is designed around you and your aircraft.