Black airplane and cockpit? (solved!)

pbdrew

Installation appeared to go ok, but on load flight screen and within FSX the plane is black. Any suggestions or help?

I have other Aerosoft downloads (DHC2 Beaver) as well as planes from Carenado - no problems with those.

Thank you

FSX with SP2

Windows7 (as administrator)

Intel i7 860

8 GB RAM

ATI Eyefinity

Screen shots included:

fsx01jun09.jpg

fsx02jun09.jpg

fsx04jun09.jpg

I have an ATI card and usually mine looks fine. But from time to time, it is the background in the freeflight window that goes black or the whole window itself. Often if I full screen to windowed and back to full screen while in flight, I get graphical corruption but going back and fourth a few times MIGHT fix it. I really have alot of other planes (I have almost all Carenado hanger and Flight Replica Supercubs and the Scout 2007 package and ORBX Lancair) and none of them do this to me.

Great plane though.

Charles.

Hiya, a drag for sure. Two things, have you the Highmemfix in your cfg file? Also have you tried a system restore?

Added HIGHMEMFIX=1 to Cfg file under [GRAPHICS]. Have not done system restore 'per se' but have rearranged lots of things while uninstalling Catalyst Control software for ATI and installing new Catalyst Control Suite to include updated drivers.

Highmemfix did not seem to make any improvement, and have also noticed invisible plane:

fsx02jun12.jpg

fsx01jun12.jpg

Thank for helping so far.

Added HIGHMEMFIX=1 to Cfg file under [GRAPHICS]. Have not done system restore 'per se' but have rearranged lots of things while uninstalling Catalyst Control software for ATI and installing new Catalyst Control Suite to include updated drivers.

Highmemfix did not seem to make any improvement, and have also noticed invisible plane:

fsx02jun12.jpg

fsx01jun12.jpg

Thank for helping so far.

Your problem is not unique. If it only happens with the Katana then I would simply uninstall, do a reboot, a disk defrag , reinstall, reboot and then try again. It sounds like maybe a texture file is missing??? If this does not cure the problem then...

Have your problems arisen since changing drivers? If so then I would try to evaluate the problem one step at a time, otherwise you will not discover the issue. Firstly I would make a copy of your current cfg file and pop it in it's own folder on the desktop, then delete the cfg file, reboot the machine and let FSX build a new file. Then add the Highmemfix, nothing else. Reboot and start FSX. If that has not cured things I would do a system restore to the day you had no problems. I'm not sure whether a system restore takes the machine back to previous drivers, I think it does, so after the restore, check the driver version. If this has not changed and you still have the problem, then install your older driver, if this does not work then we will have to look at something else. Let us know how you get on.

Your problem is not unique. If it only happens with the Katana then I would simply uninstall, do a reboot, a disk defrag , reinstall, reboot and then try again. It sounds like maybe a texture file is missing??? If this does not cure the problem then...

Have your problems arisen since changing drivers? If so then I would try to evaluate the problem one step at a time, otherwise you will not discover the issue. Firstly I would make a copy of your current cfg file and pop it in it's own folder on the desktop, then delete the cfg file, reboot the machine and let FSX build a new file. Then add the Highmemfix, nothing else. Reboot and start FSX. If that has not cured things I would do a system restore to the day you had no problems. I'm not sure whether a system restore takes the machine back to previous drivers, I think it does, so after the restore, check the driver version. If this has not changed and you still have the problem, then install your older driver, if this does not work then we will have to look at something else. Let us know how you get on.

this is not driver related. It is textures not loading. have you checked that all the texture files are in the folders.

this is not driver related. It is textures not loading. have you checked that all the texture files are in the folders.

You could also try saving your FSX.cfg to a safe location then delete the original and then let FSX write a new one on restart to see if the problem lies in a faulty cfg entry.

You could also try saving your FSX.cfg to a safe location then delete the original and then let FSX write a new one on restart to see if the problem lies in a faulty cfg entry.

Before doing so, check that you don't have a duplicate entry for the graphic card in the FSX .cfg and then rebuild the shader cache. Missing textures is either caused by a card/driver problem, or a texture read problem. If the sim doesn't crash then it's NOT a problem within the sim per se, it's a related file folder or setting.

My money is on a recent graphic card update that did not obey the well-established `rules` about FSX...

This is what I've done so far:

1. I see no duplicate entries in the cfg file.

2. I uninstalled the Katana, rebooted, ran disk defrag, reinstalled Katana, rebooted, then ran FSX. -Did not notice any difference.

3. Made copy of cfg file to desktop, then deleted that file, rebooted, ran FSX to create new cfg, added HIGHMEMFIX=1 to [GRAPHICS], rebooted, then ran FSX. -No change.

4. As far as I can tell, all texture files are in the folders. There is ond main texture file and 19 individual aircraft texture folders.

The Katana is the only plane that does this. Instead of being all black now, the plane is invisible on startup. All others (FSX default aircraft, freeware,downloads) are working correctly.

I was having essentially the same problems with the Katana before and after graphics card driver update.

This is what I've done so far:

1. I see no duplicate entries in the cfg file.

2. I uninstalled the Katana, rebooted, ran disk defrag, reinstalled Katana, rebooted, then ran FSX. -Did not notice any difference.

3. Made copy of cfg file to desktop, then deleted that file, rebooted, ran FSX to create new cfg, added HIGHMEMFIX=1 to [GRAPHICS], rebooted, then ran FSX. -No change.

4. As far as I can tell, all texture files are in the folders. There is ond main texture file and 19 individual aircraft texture folders.

The Katana is the only plane that does this. Instead of being all black now, the plane is invisible on startup. All others (FSX default aircraft, freeware,downloads) are working correctly.

I was having essentially the same problems with the Katana before and after graphics card driver update.

So, you haven't refreshed the driver cache then? Tried switching DX10 off or on? Changed drivers BACK to a previous version?

So, you haven't refreshed the driver cache then? Tried switching DX10 off or on? Changed drivers BACK to a previous version?

At this point, I really didn't want to change drivers back to previous version since problem occured before AND after driver update. I had to research a little on how to refresh driver cache. Just for the heck of it, I decided to rerun Service Pack 1, then did shader cache rebuild. I did get textures finally, but some black anomolies.

fsx07jun16.jpg

So I decided to rerun Service Pack 2, and do another shader cache rebuild before starting FSX again. This time...

fsx01jun17.jpg

DX10 was on, then switched to off, seemed to clean up some random blinking. But good news, so far things seem to be working. I now have a flyable plane.

I thank everyone for their help!

Andrew