PMDG's MD-11

Got the boxed version this week, and I've spent most of today exploring it. I usually go for vintage props, but there was room in my collection for just one ultra modern glass-cockpit machine, and with its long range and elegant shape, the PMDG MD-11 fitted the bill nicely. I have the complete set of tutorials that have appeared in PC Pilot magazine over the past year or so, and with the boxed MD-11 from Aerosoft, you get a couple of paper manuals, one of which is a step-by-step tutorial flight. So, don't be put of by its reputation for complexity - these manuals, plus the PDFs on the disc, soon get you started. You also get a fold-out double sided guide to all the VC panels, which is very useful.

Here's a few screenies of its gorgeousness...

Image014.jpg

Image013.jpg

Image003.jpg

Image004.jpg

Very nice pictures. PMDGs MD11 is really a nice flyer and I'm sure you'll love it! I've got about 300-400 hours on it already and I'm still loving it.

Your screenshots do it great justice.

Kaspars, Emanuel, thanks ! She is up there with the Catalina as a 'must-have' aircraft. I'm really enjoying exploring her systems. This is what MSFS is all about, I think. :)

Hey Paul, a great set of pics. She really is a lovely looking bit of kit. I have considered buying it myself but will likely go for the Ifly 737 or the PMDG. However, back on course, my question is have you any comparison you can make regarding framerates between this bird and the Aerosoft Airbus X? Am I right in thinking that the PMDGMD-11 is very framerate heavy?

Hi Howard, no I don't have any problems with frame rates except maybe an occasional slight pause when panning round in external view, and sometimes a delay while the textures reload when returning to the VC view. Don't know how it compares to the Airbus X as I don't have that.

Here's my PC specs:

Win 7 64-bit Professional with SP1| Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TRI-DDR3 2000MHz | Nvidia GTX-285 | OS Drive: 640GB SATA 3-Gb/s 16MB Cache ( 7200 rpm ) | FSX Drive: 300GB WD VelociRaptor® SATA 16MB CACHE (10,000rpm) | 800W Quiet Quad Rail PSU | Coolit Domino A.L.C. CPU Liquid Cooler

If you do decide to get it, the boxed version from Aerosoft comes with those paper manuals ( as opposed to the download version direct from PMDG ) and they will get you started before you need to delve into the PDFs.

:)

Hi Howard, no I don't have any problems with frame rates except maybe an occasional slight pause when panning round in external view, and sometimes a delay while the textures reload when returning to the VC view. Don't know how it compares to the Airbus X as I don't have that.

Here's my PC specs:

Win 7 64-bit Professional with SP1| Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TRI-DDR3 2000MHz | Nvidia GTX-285 | OS Drive: 640GB SATA 3-Gb/s 16MB Cache ( 7200 rpm ) | FSX Drive: 300GB WD VelociRaptor® SATA 16MB CACHE (10,000rpm) | 800W Quiet Quad Rail PSU | Coolit Domino A.L.C. CPU Liquid Cooler

If you do decide to get it, the boxed version from Aerosoft comes with those paper manuals ( as opposed to the download version direct from PMDG ) and they will get you started before you need to delve into the PDFs.

:)

Thanks a bunch for that Paul, very helpful...

You're welcome, Howard.:cheers_s:

I've spent the entire day with the MD-11, reading the manuals and the PMDG forum at Avsim, which has resolved a couple of queries I had about saved flights. I was going to do a tutorial flight, but I'm still going through all the systems and whatnot. Anyway, as a break from the technical stuff, I browsed through some of the repaints at Avsim and got these four:

KLM Cargo. In real life I flew a few times on KLM DC-10s, of which the MD-11 is a development, but wanted a cargo repaint. This fits the bill nicely:-

Image001.jpg

Condor operated the DC-10, so this isn't strictly accurate, but the bare metal finish is very good:-

Image002.jpg

A fictitious USAF repaint. Obviously it looks like a KC-10 Extender somewhat:-

Image004-1.jpg

Novair was a British charter airline which operated a few DC-10s, so again the MD-11 repaint isn't 100% kosher. I'm now using Shockwave lights with this model, but the wingtip strobes ( not seen in the picture ) hover above the winglets whilst on the ground. I assume this is so that when in flight, and the wings flex upwards, the lights are then in the correct position.

Image005.jpg