What MP do you use?

tup61

I wonder what's a normal MP setting. I am used to using something like 24 but I noticed the Katana doesn't come near it's top speed (within limits) with that setting. Even 26 seems fine, but 26 feels high... I have RPM at 2200 to 2250. What MP do you all use?

BTW I checked the performance charts (of course) and for my usual altitudes 24 to 26 might do (which is 75 to 85% power). It costs more fuel obviously, but fuel is cheap in FSX.

My normal MP is 24-25 - 2300 RPM. It is by 3500 -4500 Feet - 100 - 105 Knt Groundspeed. This is normal.

Irl, my super dimona flies economically best at 22mp over 2200rpm. It has the same engine as the katana, so that could identical?

20-22" with rpm 2,000-2100.

You should not go below 1,900 rpm in normal flight and normal max continuous would be around 2200, so with a small margin either side the rpm kinda sets itself!

BTW some models have the cruise settings on a sticker on the face of the `spare` gauge in the VC, as well as in the manual.

BTW some models have the cruise settings on a sticker on the face of the `spare` gauge in the VC, as well as in the manual.

Hm, nice! Up to now I've only flown in one version (N128MF or something like that): I think I should give the others a try too: nice to know not only the outside is different! Although... this specific paint feels like MY plane now... choosing another feels like cheating on her... sleep.gif Then again, I only looked at the outside when I picked her and we all know that's not a good thing: it's the inside that counts... wink.gif

I'll have a look at the others tonight (although there aren't many English paints, if I remember well: only the last 4 or 5 versions...?

My normal MP is 24-25 - 2300 RPM. It is by 3500 -4500 Feet - 100 - 105 Knt Groundspeed. This is normal.

2300 RPM... that's over the edge, isn't it? The manual says 2260 is the max for continuous use: 2300 must be in the yellow if not red.

Hm, nice! Up to now I've only flown in one version (N128MF or something like that): I think I should give the others a try too: nice to know not only the outside is different! Although... this specific paint feels like MY plane now... choosing another feels like cheating on her... sleep.gif Then again, I only looked at the outside when I picked her and we all know that's not a good thing: it's the inside that counts... wink.gif

I'll have a look at the others tonight (although there aren't many English paints, if I remember well: only the last 4 or 5 versions...?

2300 RPM... that's over the edge, isn't it? The manual says 2260 is the max for continuous use: 2300 must be in the yellow if not red.

2260 or 2300, so good you can not adjust the in flight. :)

In the Limitations chapter, the simulated manual indicates 2420 as max continuous engine RPM which is consistent with the real manual. On the other hand, the simulated manual shows a max continuous propeller RPM as 2260 while the real manual shows 2420 as indicated on the RPM gauge. By the way, the Katana is the only Rotax powered airplane that indicates propeller RPM. Other Rotax airplanes indicate engine RPM which is 2.2727 times higher.

In section 5.3.2 Cruising Performance in the simulated performance chapter, 2260 is referenced as the max continuous RPM. This is also different from the real version which indicates 2400RPM has max.

I'm also curious about the references to fuel flow versus altitude in the simulated manual. The real manual shows fuel flow as only a function of power setting yet during a recent flight to Las Vegas at 10,500 to 11,500 feet, I saw higher than expected fuel flows. I wonder if the simulated manual might be more correct on fuel flow.

As for power settings, when I fly, I like to keep the engine at 65%. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. My airplane is my destination :)

David