A Simple Question

RetroFlyer

A search of the Aerosoft store gives this result

Asia - 0 Hits

Africa - Casablanca - Monastir - African Airstrips

South America - Cuzco

Australia - Lord Howe

Why does Aerosoft want to be recognized as a purveyor of Flight Simulator software to the world but only caters to the European / North American audience? I have seen so many requests here for something / anything from other parts of the world that have gone totally ignored. Two-thirds of the worlds population lives/works and PLAYS in those parts of the world that you choose to neglect. Surely some of your worldly customers should expect some movement towards a more diverse choice of "attractions" to keep them entertained. When a developer chooses to enter new territory there is a market (witness FTX as an example) and we the community jump all over it. Diversity is what keeps this game alive, without it we shrivel and we die. Are these scenic add-ons in the cards or are we all simply flogging a dead horse and will have to take our $$'s elsewhere ?

• Aerosoft

Retroflyer, I fear you might have to take your $ elsewhere for a part.

We create the project we think do best commercially and those are very much in the best known markets, markets where we got customers, where we can distribute boxed products etc. Call us silly but it seems to work. Other companies, mainly those who rely almost fully on online distribution and lower numbers can make different decisions. Basically the simple fact is that people want the scenery that is close to them. Germans buy German airports, Dutch folks buy Rotterdam, Lelystad and Schiphol etc. Of course chicken and egg, but the fact is there. Then there are other things that make life hard. For example we need access to an airport to do a good project. Try getting permission to do a photoshoot of an airport in the Middle East and you see what we mean. Then there is piracy. We would like to do some projects but we know hundreds will buy it and thousands will use it.That's a major reason you do not see projects covering Poland, Russia, Brazil etc. We would LOVE to do those. You get us a few thousand customers in Japan and we'll do great stuff for those airports! Unfortunately there is hardly any FS market there, it's all PS3 for games and PC are hardly sold there.

You did miss a few projects though. Lukla (one of the best selling small airport project ever) and Hong Kong Kai Tak in Asia for example, Airports of Mexico, Tahity, Maldives (even though you did not even that area. Soon you will see a few more projects in the regions where we have not done a lot. Nothing huge, but projects we think will just pay for itself.Sometimes that's good enough.

Do we want to be known as a company that caters to the customers we got, yeah! See we are a commercial company, got to pay something like 50 people every month. We do so by making what we think we can sell. With success.

• Upvote 2

well,what would you like to see aerosoft do?...perhaps other companies has catered for that region..i dont know.

my peronal experience of that part of the world >in FSX< is that its very bland,flat,nothing interesting to see landscapes-not even mountians. now im not saying thats a reason for no add-ons there but being as its so 'boring', i can only imagine not many fly over that way.

Off the top of my head theres hong kong kia tak..tryed that? here

But come on..u state 'asia'...the are over 50 countries in asia..you'r slamming aerosoft for ''not listening' , yet you havent said where you would like to see improved...airport , country????....give aerosoft SOME food for thought!

You also haven't stated a decent commercial case.

Absence may be due to a gap in the market that remains unfulfilled, or it may simply reflect absence of demand. Yours is the first reference I have seen to such a requirement (outside of Kai Tak and Chek Lap Kok, both of which are already served by other developers).

So, frankly, who cares what YOU want? You haven't generated an outpouring of support here, have you?

Make a better commercial case, have the potential market at your fingertips, demonstrate where the base information required by developers can be found, and produce the Asian-based developers who will develop these products, or it is you that is flogging a dead horse.

Until then, just accept that what you want is not the same as what the market needs.

• Upvote 1

Though it has to be said that there is a lot of programing and graphic talent in Asia.....

Also, companies that Aerosoft currently are working with like Neqb (Russia) are a testament to the talented individuals in that country as well. I am not sure at all what the market penetration of FSX is in those countries, but I would not be surprised to discover many talented individuals in those places who could be encouraged/mentored to produce quality scenery sold through Aerosoft or other interested parties, if Aerosoft itself was not interested in that opportunity.

Just floating a possibility.

As I understand, there are many, many thousands of copies of FSX in Singapore.

Microsofts` market penetration is near-zero...

...knoworrimean... :ph34r:

As I understand, there are many, many thousands of copies of FSX in Singapore.

Microsofts` market penetration is near-zero...

...knoworrimean... :ph34r:

I don't know.........:unsure:

I have read Mk's comments about "car boot sales" and this gives me an impression, (along with the lamentations of other developers) that piracy is not only an Asian issue, and even if the perception is that its is more established there, I am not sure it would be fair to lump all those countries into some mental "one size fits all" stereotype.....

I don't. The difference is that I spent some time in Brunei and Singapore, so saw it with my own eyes. There were almost no legitimate copies in use. Not so much a problem, more a plague.

Other places may be similar or not, but when even OE manufactured products are sold over there with - shall we say - `hacked` software pre-installed, and you can get any software you like from the nice man on the corner with the small stall with burned CD's and DVD's, even to photocopied labels, you have to ask yourself just WHO is the target audience for Asian airports? And could the legitimate producer stand the `leakage`?

:D

• Aerosoft

I don't know.........:unsure:

I have read Mk's comments about "car boot sales" and this gives me an impression, (along with the lamentations of other developers) that piracy is not only an Asian issue, and even if the perception is that its is more established there, I am not sure it would be fair to lump all those countries into some mental "one size fits all" stereotype.....

It is for sure not a problem related to a single region. And it is nasty and very uncomfortable to even discuss individual countries in this aspect. However, if you just read rather solidly documented reports on piracy of business software and see numbers over 75% you got to wonder what the numbers are for software not used professional. To put it even more specific. We got a good idea of how many copies of FSX are sold in countries and that for sure does not match what we see in the online flight community. Now all these folks are either importing a copy of FSX or found a copy on tpb.

In the end it is all very simple. For countries with massive piracy you will not find country specific software.