Why does aircraft jump about when changing views

keflin2612

Can someone tell me, when sometimes while my plane is on the ground it jumps up and down a bit when changing views for instance from tower view to spot view and usually with a little bit of smoke thrown in from the tyres and is there anything I can do about it.

Thanks Kev.

This is because it is the peak of summer and the sun is raising the temperature of the tarmac significantly, so the planes wheels are reacting to the heat and jumping about. You would too if you walked barefoot out on the runway and taxi areas during this time of year.

That's strange, I've never seen a real aeroplane do it.laugh.gif

I suspect (with no evidence at all) that upon redraw, some values take a moment to update. (like the height of some objects, for instance)

My birds do this likewise and I think Hiflyer is right. It´s the only explainable reason. But maybe they just dance jumpstyle. No one knows.

regards

Max

When the focal point changes, so does the level of accurate mesh applied - like mipmapping of textures, detail declines with distance. This `averaging` can cause the mesh to change elevation - and with it anything mounted on it. It's part of the same effect as seeing buildings and trees hovering in the air. When you cahnge the effective distance of the ground from the viewpoint, you force FSX to alter the resolution and definition of the `distant` mesh - and this can show as elevation change.

With various combinations of mesh slider settings, you get this effect. You can reduce or eliminate it by several methods:

1: Use a higher detail mesh - the `steps` in distance become smaller, so the aircraft jumps less with changes

2: Change the mesh sliders in combinations - either greater detail distance, or lower resolution will usually fix it.

3: Trying to use a higher setting than available mesh resolution can also trigger the effect - using 19m on 76m base mesh will often cause this problem, however I have also seen the opposite - using a 5m mesh at 38m setting triggers this also on changing views.