VC textures long to appear...

Guest pao

Hello,

I noticed that whenever I change view in FSX and revert back to the VC, the textures takes at least 5 seconds to appear... before that it remains black....

I tried uninstalling the video driver and changing with latest version of Nividia but that does not change anything....

Does anyone have an idea (I deleted and recreated the fsx.cfg file too several times...)

Thank you,

Greg

• Upvote 1

This is the graphics card waiting on the cpu for data and is a pretty common issue with complex addon aircraft. No specific fix other than turning down your sliders a bit here and there.

Well the thing is my system is pretty powerful :

i7 860

GTX285

6GBRam DDR3

SSD Intel X25-M 160GB

and I think that was shorter earlier....

Greg

• Upvote 1

I'd like to ad that the delay in showing up the VC textures happens with any aircraft (CS757 or default A321), everywhere and whatever autogen settings I choose... (FTX or default scenery)... there must be something wrong somewhere but I can find what....

• Upvote 1

I'd like to ad that the delay in showing up the VC textures happens with any aircraft (CS757 or default A321), everywhere and whatever autogen settings I choose... (FTX or default scenery)... there must be something wrong somewhere but I can find what....

A regular good defrag may help the situation if you havent done so in a while. I dont mean using the default windows defrag but something a bit better.

Hi Greg

The i7-860 is LGA1156/P55 which means it is dual channel DDR3 only so 4GB (2x2GB) and/or 8GB (4x2GB) is what I would expect to see. You seem to be running 6GB - what is the exact configuration of your RAM?

It's not RAM, it's lag from the textures being called from the frame buffer, and having to be loaded again after being dumped because they've been distributed far and wide across the hard drive. You don't see the texture reload when you go OUTSIDE then immediately back inside without changing the viewpoint but as soon as the POV changes in any external view FSX dumps the VC textures totally or in part necessitating a reload when returning to the VC.

The solution is PROPER defragmentation of the FS hard drive, using all of the techniques and software that have been discussed ad nauseum throughout the flightsim community.

The second solution is to fly like a pilot, and stay in the VC. I'm not aware of any current aviation products that allow the pilot to remove him/herself from the pilots seat and visit the wing in flight. Make your mind up whether you're a sim pilot, or aircraft spotter.

Either solution will work.

It's not RAM, it's lag from the textures being called from the frame buffer, and having to be loaded again after being dumped because they've been distributed far and wide across the hard drive. You don't see the texture reload when you go OUTSIDE then immediately back inside without changing the viewpoint but as soon as the POV changes in any external view FSX dumps the VC textures totally or in part necessitating a reload when returning to the VC.

The solution is PROPER defragmentation of the FS hard drive, using all of the techniques and software that have been discussed ad nauseum throughout the flightsim community.

The second solution is to fly like a pilot, and stay in the VC. I'm not aware of any current aviation products that allow the pilot to remove him/herself from the pilots seat and visit the wing in flight. Make your mind up whether you're a sim pilot, or aircraft spotter.

Either solution will work.

You are right.. actually when I exit the VC and just come back, there is no problem.... however, as soon as I stay out for a few seconds, then VC textures takes 5 seconds to reload...

I know my RAM setting is not optimized since I got 2 sticks of 2GB in parrallel + 1 alone but I didn't get this issue a week ago..... maybe it comes from upgrading to the latest Nvidia driver and then reverting back to the old ... Or maybe something else....

Please heeeeelppppp !!

BTW FSX is installed on a SSD Intel X25-M 160GB so defrag..........

Greg

• Upvote 1

Simon, sorry but through your impatience you are taking this off on an undesireable tangent. Firstly one certainly should not defragment SSD's, ever. Greg please take note of this. Secondly I did not say that it was the RAM causing this, did I? Just wanting to get a couple of the basics right.

Greg, can we start with just 2 of the same type of RAM in your machine? 4GB is more than adequate for FSX.

Also please confirm you have FSX SP1 and SP2 installed?

Oh come on.... <_< That's unusually useless advice from you.

Pao, have you tried one of the Nvidia driver removal programs to ensure a proper uninstall of all drivers, then a reinstallation of the driver version you want?

Oh come on.... <_< That's unusually useless advice from you.

Pao, have you tried one of the Nvidia driver removal programs to ensure a proper uninstall of all drivers, then a reinstallation of the driver version you want?

Well I have used Driver Sweeper... and I have also removed 2GB RAM to keep my system at 4GB balanced (2x2)... nothing has changed....

Should I try another driver removal software ? if yes, Which one and what should be the different step considering that Win always reinstall a default Nvidia driver everytime I uninstall one...

Thank you for your help

BTW, considering I am using a i7 860 with only 4 slots of Ram, is it better if I only use 4GB with 2 slots out of 4 occupied instead of 6GB and 3 slots out of 4 used ? My ram is OCZ PC3 12800 2GB

Thank you all for trying to help me,

Greg

• Upvote 1

Simon, sorry but through your impatience you are taking this off on an undesireable tangent. Firstly one certainly should not defragment SSD's, ever. Greg please take note of this. Secondly I did not say that it was the RAM causing this, did I? Just wanting to get a couple of the basics right.

Greg, can we start with just 2 of the same type of RAM in your machine? 4GB is more than adequate for FSX.

Also please confirm you have FSX SP1 and SP2 installed?

SSD should never be defragged = drivel.

SSD should never normally need to be defragged = correct.

What we have here on a system which, including an SSD and vast amounts of RAM, is creating a texture SEQUENCING issue based on the way the simulator (designed before huge RAM amounts, Massive GPU capacity and SSD's were even considered, much less multiple CPU-paths and proper parallel processing) passes information through its Threading process...

Now, perhaps the word `defragmentation` is the incorrect one to use in this connotation, however, the fact remains that the textures are not loading instantly, and it is NOT a driver issue. There are discussion topics on what we might better call: `the suitability of co-location of relevant textures` among SSD cognoscenti, and there are suggestions about how to free up what we might also call the RAM Logjam as pertaining to Flight Simulator.

But I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject and will let you lead Pao down the path you think is correct.

I found out what the problem was coming from.... If I dont't deactivate FTX Central, then I get a 5 sec lag when changing view from outside to VC..... very funny because I don't get any other texture issues beside that.... that is why I always let FTX central on FTX instead of default FSX...

Greg

• Upvote 1

Glad that you found the issue. Was actually going to ask you about FTX as I have also experienced issues when forgetting to disable it. First time I am hearing about it causing VC texture lag - one for the memory banks.

Just to come back to your RAM config question: It is always much better (especially on high end hardware) to run as per the spec - so in your case two (or 4) identical dual channel sticks of RAM is what you want. Anything outside of this spec will cause ALL you RAM to default to the speeds and timings of the slowest of your RAM sticks + dual channel will not work with 3 sticks of RAM inserted. I suggest you stick to the spec as far as possible...

I found out what the problem was coming from.... If I dont't deactivate FTX Central, then I get a 5 sec lag when changing view from outside to VC..... very funny because I don't get any other texture issues beside that.... that is why I always let FTX central on FTX instead of default FSX...

Greg

Yes, you have reduced the texture load below the threshold at which the problem occurs. Clearly NOT a driver issue... :rolleyes:

You MAY be able to have your cake and eat it by homogenising the FTX textures. I think they cause a profusion of concurrent texture load and even a SSD can't handle the load when it's constrained by the frame buffer.

Aside from `snake oil` tweaks to your FSX .cfg, which is not a path you should go down without a serious amount of research and setting aside glorious amounts of comparison testing time, you might find some relief by moving any addon scenery which you have installed for FTX to another hard drive - yes even one that isn't the SSD!

This is quick to manage and only needs a quick change to the address line in scenery .cfg to point the sim to the `new` address (remember for experimentation purposes to back up the scenery .cfg before messing with it) then create a new folder on another hard drive called `addon scenery` MOVE (not copy, you're trying to reduce texture load within the main FSX configuration) the airfields to the new folder, and you can run a quick test of FSX on a simple reboot to see if this helps.

The problem is caused I think by the process that FTX use to create a fluid environment at high-autogen settings, when it finds itself sharing processing time with the VC textures and by panning outside the cockpit you shift the sims emphasis from internal to external texture generation, and FSX automatically dumps the VC textures (no matter the driver settings or system configuration, it's part of the core code) to preserve free RAM for that texture generation.

You can actually see this all the time by simply loading FSX alternately in VC and External view. From the same vantage point the sim will load the VC first, and the autogen last from internal start, but if in external view it loads the autogen FIRST, and the aircraft Textures last. Possibly this is because the autogen and the VC share the same rendering channel, or maybe it's a `clever` modification by ACES as part of SP2 that was a ploy to deal with the excessive texture load, like the block-loading of autogen, but it clearly has an effect even on RAM-packed systems.

Anyway, try it and see, you can quickly change it back if it doesn't work.

Hi Snave,

I'll try that next Saturday once back from my trip... When you say moving the addons scenery on a different drive, what sceneries do you think of ? (all the FTX ones or even the Aerosoft ?).... also if I fly to an airport installed on the FSX drive, will the fact that the FTX sceneries are out if it will change something ?

Thanks

Greg

• Upvote 1

The choice of sceneries is going to have to be yours, as only you have a proper `overwiew` of your system. Key to this would be to move `overlaid` sceneries - those which sit on something else also installed in the main scenery folder or currently selected addon.

One other thing to try - and I know it sounds odd when we're talking about textures - is try the same trick with aircraft in the simobjects/aircraft folders that you are not currently flying.

Moving unnecessary aircraft out of those folders and out of the main FSX installation folder can also improve things in some systems, although I have no experience of trying this with SSD's.

This time just create a folder called `hangar` or `addon aircraft` (or whatever works for you!) and just drag and drop entire aircraft folders for any planes you are not currently flying so that they are no longer in the aircraft selection menu. Then create a shortcut to the folder, drop that into the main FSX folder or even the simobjects sub-folder, and you can move aircraft in and out of the `live` FSX menu system at will. Remember it has to be the WHOLE folder - if you start chopping repaints you will run into problems with the aircraft.cfg's looking for paints that aren't there, and you DONT remove any gauges, sounds or anything else pertaining to the aircraft, JUST the whole aircraft folder so that you can just drag it back again when you want to use it. You're moving, not uninstalling.

Let us know how you get on - and keep a note of what you're doing so you can go back if it doesn't work!