Sion X various issues

Just Fly

Hello!

I had some issues with my new add-on, Sion X.

• First, the buildings. When I loaded the scenery for the first time as a free flight with a default aircraft, the buildings (as you see on the two first pictures) were "flying", but just the ones located at the North of the airport, in the middle of runway. The other ones (at the South of the airport and at the ends of runways 07 and 25) were OK.
    Issue solved => Pictures removed

But when I took off, flew around the airport and landed, the "flying" buildings were back onto ground and everything was OK!

• Before I took off from runway 25, I saw the Rhone river on the mountain (first picture). I know this can happen, MY problem are the buildings just in front of the mountain. I saw them from the VC, but when I moved to the outside view, they were gone. I did a 360° camera turn and they were there again.

• On the Sion terminal building, there is a famous watch, turning around itself at 360° without stopping. It's animated in FSX. But I saw TWO watches! One of them was "locked", and the other was turning 180° in one side, then coming back to its first position. If you didn't understand what I am talking about, compare the two following pictures and you'll see...

[*]Finally, the fraps. I usually get 18-22 FPS. But on the airport or around it (only if I can see it on my screen), FPS drop to 8! I just have Switzerland Pro installed, but I never had that kind of problems with it, everything worked perfectly.

Did anybody have the same issues?

Hello Just Fly,

The only issue I see with Sion X and your pictures is indeed the clock!

It would seem the other objects are not part of the scenery.

You say you have Switzerland Pro installed. Does it say anything about Mesh settings etc.

Hi Shaun!

The only issue I see with Sion X and your pictures is indeed the clock!

Can it be fixed?

What about the FPS? It's written in the manual:

Airport Sion has been rendered completely with gMAX. This positively affects the frame rate, so that the scenery runs smoothly even on lower end computers.

It would seem the other objects are not part of the scenery.

Are you sure? Because if I look carefully to the screenshots on the product's page, I can see the same buildings at the same place.

You say you have Switzerland Pro installed. Does it say anything about Mesh settings etc.

In the manual they just write that the best available Mesh is 19 meters (as set on my FSX configuration), but nothing else.

Could it be related to the scenery priority? As I installed Sion later than Switzerland Pro, I have this order in my scenery library:

1. Emmen (part of Patrouille Suisse add-on)
  2. Sion
  3. CHPROX_LANDMARKS
  4. CHPROX_APTS
  5. CHPROX_SCEN
  6. CHPROX_ELEV
Then, very low, somewhere at end, CHPROX_APTS_D.

=>Maybe it's due to that?

Hello Just Fly,

I'll check the fps with a default Cessna, but I have Sion X installed without Switzerland Pro and dont see the buildings.

It does mention on the product page that its compatible so they may just be showing you the two working together.

If you haven't done so then try setting the mesh to 19. Also Sion should be above as its a smaller area scenery than Swiss Pro so it looks correct.

Hello Just Fly,

I own both: Sion and CHProX. I see also only the issue with the clock on the terminal building. That is definitely a bug.

I see no flying buildings and I have no problems with framerates. My scenery priority is also the same as in your posting.

But I have a small problem when entering from taxiway to runway 7. There is a remarkable flickering of the runwaytextures. On the end of the other runway there is no such problem.

Bernhard

But I have a small problem when entering from taxiway to runway 7. There is a remarkable flickering of the runwaytextures. On the end of the other runway there is no such problem.

Hello Mr Bernhard,

I have exactly the same problem, but I didn't write about it in my first post, because it would make too much issues and would be hard to remember everyone of them!

The taxiway flickers between two colors, light grey (as it should be) and dark grey as a default FSX runway texture is (see picture below).

Hi Shaun!

I found something new in the Switzerland Pro manual. It's not exactly related to my previous problems, but it can ameliorate Flylogic's sceneries' textures. Here is what I found:

A well known problem in FSX is slow loading scenery which causes blurring. In order to prevent this check the fsx.cfg file for the following entries:

1) Look for the following lines in the fsx.cfg file (differs according to the video card):

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX.0]

Mode=1280x1024x32

and insert the following: MipBias=5 as shown below.

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX.0]

MipBias=5

Mode=1280x1024x32

Don't change the DISPLAY and MODE lines!

If the screen flickers, reduce the setting to 4 or 3

2) Look for the following line in the fsx.cfg file:

[TEERAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

And change this to:

[TEERAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=5.500000 or 6.500000

You'll probably need to experiment a little with this value in order to find out what your computer will accept. The higher is the radius, the more scenery will be loaded.

My textures in Switzerland seem blurry, especially Sion, even if the texture resolution is set to 60 cm. I'm going to try what they propose (I mean MipBias=5), but before I do, I would like to know what it will do. Can it also affect some Aerosoft's scenery add-ons (Tahiti X, Lord Howe Island X, AAA, Lukla X, Madeira X, Lord Howe Island X, ...)?

I've tried the Flylogic's suggestions. If the mip-mapping didn't work for me (the scenery was flickering too much, even on lower settings (MipBias=3)), increasing the radius made my scenery much better! The textures look now fantastic, and I'm much more happier yet with my add-ons! I set the radius to 6.500000 and my graphic card works without any problems, so I will try to set it still higher (7.5000 or 8.000000).

To sum up:

• "Flying buildings" - SOLVED by setting the mesh to 19 meters.
  • Buildings in front of the mountain - "SOLVED" (didn't happen againrolleyes.gif)
  • Watch - ???
  • FPS - ???
  • Runway textures flickering - ???
  • Blurry textures - SOLVED by increasing the TERRAIN radius to 6.500000

Now, an another thing. Everytime I want to change something in my FSX setup (in the game), the fsx.cfg changes back to LOD_RADIUS=4.500000. mad.gif Can I do anything to don't have to put back LOD_RADIUS=6.500000 manually each time?

• 1 month later...

I just upgraded to Win7 and had to reinstall all my add-ons.

During the installation I had the following message:

Do you want Sion X to run in DirectX 10 Preview mode?

I said yes.

Now I have a question: will Sion X run even if I switch DX10 off?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's come back to my previous problems:

• Remains: Watch + Flickering textures
  • Solved: FPS (I didn't saw that the minimum required CPU frequency was 8 GHz. I had 6 Ghz - now I have i7)

OK, thank you!

What about DirectX 10?

I just upgraded to Win7 and had to reinstall all my add-ons.

During the installation I had the following message:

I said yes.

Now I have a question: will Sion X run even if I switch DX10 off?

Hello Just Fly,

I shouldn't see why it wont run, but not sure on which parts would be changed except building textures etc at night to run DX10.

Why not try it at day then night!

Ok, I'll try and tell you the results.

• 2 months later...

Now, an another thing. Everytime I want to change something in my FSX setup (in the game), the fsx.cfg changes back to LOD_RADIUS=4.500000. Can I do anything to don't have to put back LOD_RADIUS=6.500000 manually each time?

Hello Just Fly,

Not sure why your fsx.cfg is altering itself.

Hi!

I found an easy trick to avoid FSX alternating values each time you chage any setting in the Settings-box. It's simple: save settings (.CFG file) via FSX UI, and then edit this file manually (it's located in "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"). When you load it, and even if you then chage anything in the Settins-box, FSX won't reset it.

Hope this will help for further support. wink.gif