Greetings

skyfly

Hello,

I just took my first glider flight yesterday and I plan to go all the way with it towards a private pilot's certificate. I have been looking for a way to practice at home and I stumbled upon this amazing site. I have FSX and FS9, and I was wondering if anyone here instructs soaring over FSX, and if so if they would be available to help me get started. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Jonathan Lippstreu

I've never actually used this function in FSX yet, but thought it would be pretty awsome if one could set up one of Wolfgang's 2-seat aircraft to function as the training aircraft. One could even use this function as a team effort in an online competition maybe.

Getting back to your question, I know I probably wouldn't be a very good instructor, but if you tell us what time zone you live in, maybe someone from that region would be more likely to join you in your training. Also, I will have to look back in my memory, but I know that there is still a training download at the main SOAR site in the Pilot Corner -> Info & Training -> FS9 Flight Training section. I think a person can use it for FSX maybe, I don't remember at the time if I had good luck with it or not in FSX. For sure you would substitute CCS2004 with CumulusX! & Sim_probe.

Scott

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I am on the east coast, I live in the state of Virginia.

Can you explain what CumulusX! & Sim_probe are? I have never heard of this.

The instructor told me that my next flight he would like me to land the glider. It would be my second glider flight and I think i'd be very nervous especially since i am not that experienced. What were your thoughts the first time you landed?

thanks,

Jonathan

Hi skyfly,

stay assured. Your flight instructor risks the jail, if he misjudges your abilities. If he lets you loose then you can and will do it. Still I think he will be sitting behind you and he has for sure the same interest in surviving than you.

BTW: For the time being I would fully concentrate on real flying rather then confusing it with simming.

best regards,

Peter

Yes, I missed that TOTALLY!!! Listen to Peter on that one. Jonathan, have you got any real life flying training other than what you mentioned (powered maybe?)? If this is just your second flight with a glider, I'm having a hard time right now wondering if it's normal to be instructed to land the next flight, and that coming from a person who doesn't even have a real life pilots license.

Scott

yes, I have about 12 powered hours in a Cessna 182

What is CumulusX! & Sim_probe?

From reading the forums some more, it seems that alot of members here have flown on FSX multilayer. When you guys do that, do other real people fly a tow plane or is it the default tow plane? Also, how could I get involved into FSX multilayer soaring?

thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

the tools produce an environment for soaring. CumulusX! generates vertical up- and down drafts in FSX. It produces thermals and, with an extra digital elevation map of the terrain, also ridge lift. A number of these maps could be found at AVSIM (but the library is currently down). The can be produced also with CumulusX! itself from public data bases.

For those who find it too much effort to produce thes masp, sim_probe delivers the necessary data "on the fly" to CumulusX!.

You can find the tools here:

http://www.luerkens.homepage.t-online.de/peter/

http://carrier.csi.cam.ac.uk/forsterlewis/soaring/sim/fsx/dev/sim_probe/

So you can do pretty realistic soaring with these two tools.

BTW, recently I found out, that the FSX tow plane gets to stuck FSX multiplayer servers because it is duplicated on the server and never removed, even if the client logs off. So any additional take-off generates an extra multiplayer Maule and eventually the server stops because of being totally overloaded. This is a reason why many 24/7 servers reject gliders by default.

best regards,

Peter

Peter,

I downloaded CumulusX V1.2.1.0 and in the zipped folder i see Modules, Simobjects, and Install.cmd. The directions dont seem very clear on how to install. Can you tell me how you did it?

Also, would buying Activesky for FSX be recommended?

thanks,

Jonathan

I downloaded CumulusX V1.2.1.0 and in the zipped folder i see Modules, Simobjects, and Install.cmd. The directions dont seem very clear on how to install. Can you tell me how you did it?

Just double click the "Install" file and you should be good to go. Make sure you go into the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Modules/CumulusX! folder and set the CumulusX.exe to run as administrator if you have Windows Vista after you install.

Scott

Scott,

I double click on it and next thing I know something pops up asking me whether or not i want to send an error report. Any suggestions? I already re downloaded it by the way.

Regards,

Jonathan

I seems, that you either have not installed dotnet 2.0 (a link to source at MS is in the readme and in the manual PDF) or you have not FSX SP2, maybe FSX Acceleration, installed. There is also a step-by-step tutorial, what to do if you want to run the tools together with FSX Acceleration Pack.

best regards,

Peter