LOWI AFCAD

AKing90

Miles away ?

From the manual :

Innsbruck is located in the Inn-Valley at an elevation of 580 meters, next to the Karwendel mountains and the Tuxer alps with peaks of 2300 m giving Innsbruck Airport something special. The ILS 26 follows the Inn-valley. There is an offset of 5° from the direction of the runway (260°) and the localizer (255°). You need to fly a curve right before touchdown. Approaching runway 26 always is a special challenge.

• Verified Developer
Thanks my friend clearly I am one of those guys who doesn't read the manual

Does not matter. Who reads the manuals? Me either.

But to be really accurate. It must be clear that Innsbruck is not equipped with an ILS 26. In reality (and recognized in the addon) we are talking about a localizer approach with clearance limit at AB locator. Thus, automated landing is not possible in Innsbruck. You are following the glidepath until AB locator (where you must have to see the field) and then have to make a slight left turn until intercepting the enhanced runway center line. This procedure is to be executed manually according to visual flight rules.

The english translation is misleading in this matter because it talks from an "ILS-APPROACH". Unfortunately I did not recognize it.

greetz

Hi everybody, I just bought approaching Innsbruck and it's amazing. I can fly out of the airport ok. But getting in is another story. I tried my first flight to the airport just now, Nice to Innsbruck. I got to about 60 miles and ATC comes on and gives me ILS 8 for landing which I set up for and everything seems fine. Then not 2 minutes later I get a message from ATC that my flight plan is cancelled and to contact I think I was Munich airport. So I set up my flight to head to the airport and wait for the nearest airports list to come up and I see Innsbruck so I contact the tower for full stop landing, I get the ok for runway 8 and all's set. I make the last turn before getting to runway and it's a tight turn as you all know and got in OK.

I use MyTrafficX and all seems to be working fine. So I am not sure why my flight plan would have been cancelled.

Second. The AFCAD I have in the game, should it stay in the scenery file for Innsbruck or go into addon scenery/scenery. I'm thinking it stays with the Innsbruck scenery folder. But what is happening is the ILS feather for runway 8 are on the same side of the airport as 26. Any ideas on what might be happening and/or how to fix it? I tried to attach a copy of the file but forum wouldn't let me.

I am somewhere between a novice flyer and a good one. But this afcad issue is a little puzzling.

Thanks

Frank

Hi everybody, I just bought approaching Innsbruck and it's amazing. I can fly out of the airport ok. But getting in is another story. I tried my first flight to the airport just now, Nice to Innsbruck. I got to about 60 miles and ATC comes on and gives me ILS 8 for landing which I set up for and everything seems fine. Then not 2 minutes later I get a message from ATC that my flight plan is cancelled and to contact I think I was Munich airport. So I set up my flight to head to the airport and wait for the nearest airports list to come up and I see Innsbruck so I contact the tower for full stop landing, I get the ok for runway 8 and all's set. I make the last turn before getting to runway and it's a tight turn as you all know and got in OK.

I use MyTrafficX and all seems to be working fine. So I am not sure why my flight plan would have been cancelled.

Second. The AFCAD I have in the game, should it stay in the scenery file for Innsbruck or go into addon scenery/scenery. I'm thinking it stays with the Innsbruck scenery folder. But what is happening is the ILS feather for runway 8 are on the same side of the airport as 26. Any ideas on what might be happening and/or how to fix it? I tried to attach a copy of the file but forum wouldn't let me.

I am somewhere between a novice flyer and a good one. But this afcad issue is a little puzzling.

Thanks

Frank

One thing I forgot to mention was I did check for other LOWI afcads and mytrafficx had one and I took it out of the game, but the ILS problem with runway 8 still is there.

• Verified Developer

One thing I forgot to mention was I did check for other LOWI afcads and mytrafficx had one and I took it out of the game, but the ILS problem with runway 8 still is there.

Hi Frank,

I hope that this will clarify some of your questions:

* LOWI is NOT equipped with an ILS - neither for rw26 nor for rw08. What you are seeing are the localizer positions. Thus, your questions referring to the ILS topic has - honestly saying - not really a basis. There is nothing to be fixed because the files are reflecting the reality as far as MSFS9 is making this possible.

* MSFS is shipped with a severe bug as far as the approaches are concerned because the artificial "intelligence" does not recognize the mountains. We are happy that Jim Vile allows us to use his fixes (the file for this is stored automatically during the installation process). When you are flying to LOWI the ATC from MS is vectoring away from Innsbruck - this is a known bug. You can easily get rid of this problem - please do not accept the firstly presented option for the vectoring; request another one. In this case you will be vectored correctly and according to the official procedures - this feature is resulting from Jim's great work.

So everything looks fine so far. The AFCAD of LOWI seems to be in the right place.

greetz

Hi Frank,

I hope that this will clarify some of your questions:

* LOWI is NOT equipped with an ILS - neither for rw26 nor for rw08. What you are seeing are the localizer positions. Thus, your questions referring to the ILS topic has - honestly saying - not really a basis. There is nothing to be fixed because the files are reflecting the reality as far as MSFS9 is making this possible.

* MSFS is shipped with a severe bug as far as the approaches are concerned because the artificial "intelligence" does not recognize the mountains. We are happy that Jim Vile allows us to use his fixes (the file for this is stored automatically during the installation process). When you are flying to LOWI the ATC from MS is vectoring away from Innsbruck - this is a known bug. You can easily get rid of this problem - please do not accept the firstly presented option for the vectoring; request another one. In this case you will be vectored correctly and according to the official procedures - this feature is resulting from Jim's great work.

So everything looks fine so far. The AFCAD of LOWI seems to be in the right place.

greetz

Greetz, thank you very much, that explains alot. When asking for the second vectoring do you recommend asking for runway 26? Or stay on with the original runway I am given. I get nervous flying this airport in a game, I cant imagine what real pilots go through, especially with bad weather. It's like trying to land at the old hong kong kai tak

Thanks

Frank

• Verified Developer

Greetz, thank you very much, that explains alot. When asking for the second vectoring do you recommend asking for runway 26? Or stay on with the original runway I am given. I get nervous flying this airport in a game, I cant imagine what real pilots go through, especially with bad weather. It's like trying to land at the old hong kong kai tak

Thanks

Frank

This certainly depends on the winds. Be aware that during strong winds ("Foehn") from the south usually runway 08 has to be chosen. And - it is fine when you are getting nervous, that is what Innsbruck is known for :)

This certainly depends on the winds. Be aware that during strong winds ("Foehn") from the south usually runway 08 has to be chosen. And - it is fine when you are getting nervous, that is what Innsbruck is known for smile.gif

Thanks Gianni, forgot about the winds, I cant even imagine a white knuckle landing at this airport for real. I was almost sweating it out going in on a rainstorm smile.gif

Hi,

abouth Jim Vile's approach file: where is it located in your scenery folder? I have installed an older file by him in the Generic folder under Scenery in FS09.

Is it the same one that was for free available? Do I have to delete it?

Kind regards,

Axel.

• Verified Developer

Hi,

abouth Jim Vile's approach file: where is it located in your scenery folder? I have installed an older file by him in the Generic folder under Scenery in FS09.

Is it the same one that was for free available? Do I have to delete it?

Kind regards,

Axel.

Hi Axel,

this is clearly stated in the documentation: Jim's Vile file is automatically stored under "YOURFLIGHTSIM\Scenery\Generic\scenery". An older version will be overwritten. Jim provided us with the most recent file. So you simply have to do nothing...

regards

• Verified Developer

Hi everybody!

An attentive user in the german forum has notified design team that the shipped AFCAD-file has some small offsets of the navaids. This offsets are resulting from rounding errors. design team now has modified the positions of some navaids.

The new AFCAD-file is available via this link: http://server.giannisworld.net/dateien/LOWI_after_release/AF2_LOWI_by_giannisworld_20090711.zip

Please read the attached readme file.

Kind regards

design team