First Impressions

cyberpilot

Congratulations, the Cat is truly an exceptional aircraft.

The soundset is arguably the best I've ever heard on a flight sim.

The panel is also of a very high standard.

However, a few small quibbles:

1. There are no touchdown sounds and it's very hard to know whether you are on the ground or still airborne.

2. The elevator pitch control is overly sensitive in the landing phase and it's quite easy to start oscillating the aircraft.

3. The frame rates are just acceptable but could/should be better. I run an I7 940 which has no trouble with the frame rate hungry Flight 1 Mustang but is struggling with the Cat.

4. I have read the manual and watched the instructional video but cannot start the engines from a cold and dark situation despite many, many attempts.

5. When taxying at low speeds the slightest backward pressure on the elevator lifts the nose off the ground.

If these problems could be fixed the Cat would be one of the best flight sim add-ons for many, many years.

Frank

Starting the engines can be a pain. I load again the aircraft and set cold an dark, then it worked better, i think you must train a lot to get it good working.

• Aerosoft
Starting the engines can be a pain. I load again the aircraft and set cold an dark, then it worked better, i think you must train a lot to get it good working.

Or just set the engines to default using the Config page on the checklist. One other trick, certainly if it is cold outside (as far as we know this is the first aircraft that uses outside air temp in the startup) is to leave the primer on during startup.

Well, last start did very well, i i´m able do do it, and i´m now 3 hours away from Ft Lauderdale with the Navy Rescue Cat. Marvellous.

• Aerosoft
Congratulations, the Cat is truly an exceptional aircraft.

The soundset is arguably the best I've ever heard on a flight sim.

The panel is also of a very high standard.

However, a few small quibbles:

1. There are no touchdown sounds and it's very hard to know whether you are on the ground or still airborne.

2. The elevator pitch control is overly sensitive in the landing phase and it's quite easy to start oscillating the aircraft.

3. The frame rates are just acceptable but could/should be better. I run an I7 940 which has no trouble with the frame rate hungry Flight 1 Mustang but is struggling with the Cat.

4. I have read the manual and watched the instructional video but cannot start the engines from a cold and dark situation despite many, many attempts.

5. When taxying at low speeds the slightest backward pressure on the elevator lifts the nose off the ground.

If these problems could be fixed the Cat would be one of the best flight sim add-ons for many, many years.

Frank

1) yeah you don't hear the gear touching down, you actually don't hear it in most heavier aircraft but we all gotten so used to hearing it in FSX that people expect it.

2) mmmmm... we have found no way to simulate the effect of that huge 100kg control bar so it is a bit lighter then we hoped but the data fits perfectly. I'll wait if this is a consistent comment before we change anything. I got no problems with it and the two 'real' cat pilot did not comment on it.

3) Well if you read the other comments here you would see the exact opposite. The MDL (uncompressed) are a lot larger so I think you got a pretty good video card. As I explained a few times, large models with high end graphics card get into timing problems, it is a HUGE problem for us. Certainly if we got to explain to customer that they will get better fps with a $60 card then with as $500 card. While we show it at every show and it has by now been well documented in a good German FS magazine. In the end there is nothing to do about that. There is nothing to optimize and the only way to make it faster would be to delete things.

4) Have not heard a lot about that and it certainly is possible. Try cheating a bit and keep the primer on during startup, I am sure it will work. Look at it this way, we now sold it a few thousand time, if it would not be possible this forum would be bursting with comments right?

5) Depending on load the nose wheel gets light already at around 35 knots. She IS very balanced on the main wheels however, when parked there even is a support under the tail because just one person climbing in can tip her over. Could be a bit combined with the 2 issue. We'll have a look at it.

Or just set the engines to default using the Config page on the checklist. One other trick, certainly if it is cold outside (as far as we know this is the first aircraft that uses outside air temp in the startup) is to leave the primer on during startup.

Firstly, thanks for a superb aircraft. Excellent detail & great frame rates.

I'd just like to add that I too had great trouble getting the engines started. Read the manual, watched the video and tried lots of times all without success. Then I read about turning off auto mixture in the FSX realism settings and now I can start the engines every time!

Firstly, thanks for a superb aircraft. Excellent detail & great frame rates.

I'd just like to add that I too had great trouble getting the engines started. Read the manual, watched the video and tried lots of times all without success. Then I read about turning off auto mixture in the FSX realism settings and now I can start the engines every time!

Thanks Dave, that did the trick for me.

Wish I'd known about it before.

Frank

• 5 weeks later...
Well if you read the other comments here you would see the exact opposite. The MDL (uncompressed) are a lot larger so I think you got a pretty good video card. As I explained a few times, large models with high end graphics card get into timing problems, it is a HUGE problem for us. Certainly if we got to explain to customer that they will get better fps with a $60 card then with as $500 card. While we show it at every show and it has by now been well documented in a good German FS magazine. In the end there is nothing to do about that. There is nothing to optimize and the only way to make it faster would be to delete things.

This concerns me. Does that mean that when I upgrade my system one day (currently using a Radeon 4870 1024MB) that this could render the Catalina useless (aka unplayable frames per second while it runs absolutely fine now?)

This concerns me. Does that mean that when I upgrade my system one day (currently using a Radeon 4870 1024MB) that this could render the Catalina useless (aka unplayable frames per second while it runs absolutely fine now?)

This is not Catalina specific, but simply a FSX "problem".

Finn

<br />This is not Catalina specific, but simply a FSX &quot;problem&quot;.<br /><br />Finn<br />

Maybe so, but a problem nontheless. And a very odd one at that.

Nothing odd about it.

It is simply a matter of fact that ACES made certain assumptions about the future direction of hardware when designing FSX to be `future proof` and they got it badly wrong, not entirely through their own error.

As hardware moves further away from the ACES predictions, the problems will only get worse, although they will be masked to a greater or lesser extent by the overheads that new technology will permit.

MS made the mistake of assuming. You can't do it.

Best regards,

Robin.

To be fair, ACES big mistake was in thinking that Vista would be released on-time and working properly! And that isn't assumption that is `internal communications failure` given that both teams were housed in the same building...

If FSX had been the dedicated DX10 platform for Vista at release it should have been then many of the other problems would have been relatively minor and solvable with a patch or two. As it is, DX10 Preview is what we should have seen at release, and SP1 and SP2 should have given a fully-compatible DX10 environment - the potential for which is visible in the Preview. After all, the ACES team kind-of resolved the multi-core processor compatibility.

They never did really fix the SLI problem though...

They never did really fix the SLI problem though...

What problem was that? Does it hurt performance? My 7950GX2 uses SLI in certain modes.

Best regards,

Robin.