Fsx A-10

MenendezDiego

The A-10 is something that either you like or dislike.

I, for the most part, love sleek fighter jets. The clean lines, high speeds, and utter firepower a fighter carries does something for me. However, the A-10 falls into my top 3 favorite planes, along with the F-16 and my all time fav., the F-4 Phantom II.

Basically, the A-10 was designed around the GAU-8/A Avenger, a 30mm Gatling gun. The A-10's primary roles are close air support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Thunderbolt_II

There's a link to the history. It's a beautiful bird that does it's job exceptionally well!

Hmm you're right.. maybe it was in a movie I saw it.. but you know how accurate those things can be. The only thing I could find remotely related to Vietnam is that it was designed to fight in that theatre...but nothing that even says the early prototypes even did.

Sorry Crab, it wasn't even designed for Vietnam. Certainly the Vietnam war gave rise to an early USAF requirement for a slow heavily-armoured ground attack aircraft, but the proposals were modified in 1970 to focus on the threat of Warsaw Pact armoured formations in Western Europe. Consequently, the aircraft was designed around an anti-tank weapon, the 30mm GAU-8 Avenger.

Having said that, there would have been nothing to stop it being used in Vietnam had that war continued, and no doubt the aircraft's prodigious payload would have been very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Crab, it wasn't even designed for Vietnam. Certainly the Vietnam war gave rise to an early USAF requirement for a slow heavily-armoured ground attack aircraft, but the proposals were modified in 1970 to focus on the threat of Warsaw Pact armoured formations in Western Europe. Consequently, the aircraft was designed around an anti-tank weapon, the 30mm GAU-8 Avenger.

Having said that, there would have been nothing to stop it being used in Vietnam had that war continued, and no doubt the aircraft's prodigious payload would have been very useful.

What's special about this plane?

Don't get me wrong, this is not a rhetorical question.. :P I'm really wondering

Its an interesting aircraft for sure, love the sound of its engines, really unmistakable, watched a few passes of an A-10 on a gunnery test range on Y-tube recently and the gatling gun sound is fearsome.

Check this

to see what I mean.

I'd rather have a Tornado myself if we are going to have another military jet, but I can see why people would want the A-10.

• 3 weeks later...

What's so special? Well for me it looks like a plane where the designers weren't hamstrung by the "multi-role" specs...

"Go build us a plane that will take us right into the jaws of hell, stir up the bad guys a LOT and then get the pilot and plane back out in one piece..."

Loads of bullet proofing, loads of titanium plate, one BIIIIGGG mother of a gun - ver' frightning if you're on the wrong end. And sooo far beyond ugly that it is almost meeting itself on the way back up the "pretty" curve. Apparently attack pilots would fly this thing inverted just prior to attacking so that they could see the target that much sooner - I mean, they got in low level and real close first; usually up a parallel valley. Popping up over the ridge line inverted gave the pilots that much more time to acquire targets.

I enjoyed the "9" version, so the "X" is surely a sale for me, when it comes.

Merry Crimbo all, or have a happy season or even "Bah Humbug!"

And sooo far beyond ugly that it is almost meeting itself on the way back up the "pretty" curve. .

I enjoyed the "9" version, so the "X" is surely a sale for me, when it comes.

Chris

:lol: I have to tell you that when I read your version of "Warthog pretty" I almost fell over laughing

I agree as well with the second comment, I Can hardly wait for the updated version either,,,,(Would like to see some pic's of the progress though ;))

Randy

Apparently attack pilots would fly this thing inverted just prior to attacking so that they could see the target that much sooner - I mean, they got in low level and real close first; usually up a parallel valley. Popping up over the ridge line inverted gave the pilots that much more time to acquire targets.

The other reason is, if inverted you can 'Pull down' over the ridge keeping positive G on and keeping you closer to the ridge line. Push over the top and you'll tend to ballon over it, plus the negative G's are harder to cope with.

• 1 month later...

Is there ANY info on the next version ,,pic's maybe? :rolleyes:

Us Hog lovers out here are just itchin for something substantial

Randy

I thought I would bring this up once again, maybe even :unsure: acknowledgment that it is still on the boards ;)

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this one then? a video of it in action would be rather nice ;)

id think its too early for a video. especcialy considering what the reaction of most people is.

Also i was wondering what is the top cruising speed for this bird. can it go above Mach 0.90?

id think its too early for a video. especcialy considering what the reaction of most people is.

Also i was wondering what is the top cruising speed for this bird. can it go above Mach 0.90?

Top speed for the A-10C is no where near Mach .90, in fact the A-10 is actually quite a bit slower than the KC-135R!

Vne for the Warthog is listed at 450 knots, with maximum speed in level flight at roughly 380 knots.

• 3 weeks later...

"Go build us a plane that will take us right into the jaws of hell, stir up the bad guys a LOT and then get the pilot and plane back out in one piece..."

Loads of bullet proofing, loads of titanium plate, one BIIIIGGG mother of a gun

Exactly what I love about this aircraft.

So you have a huge gun, with a gigantic amount of enormous (relative of course) shells...

Let's build an aircraft to carry it!

Oh wait, a sh*tload of bombs certainly would be nice as well,

and to get the pilot home safe, let's put him in a titanium bad tub...

And in case you loose an engine, put on a second one... same for the vertical stabilizers and rudders...

Let's not care about how it looks, as long as it does one job, and one job only: get in there, destroy those tanks, and get out safely...

Lovely engineering philosophy, is it not?

I'm really, really looking forward to this one's release...