FSX Winch Launch

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question so I apologise in advance.

Now that I have successfully got CX to run I wan t also to launch my FSX gliders using winch launch.

I have followed the instructions as given by Wolfgang Piper on his website but am having no luck at all.

Could some kind soul please help me with this.

Regards

Richard.

I don't know totally if I can answer this one, but can you tell us what and when exactly you are having problems with it, maybe even what aircraft if the problem is there if applicable? I know I have problems with it turning on sometimes right after slewing and other times, but I think I was trying to save a flight at the wrong moment when some of it was happening.

sf4JC

AND, a yes, this is the correct forum for the question, although I'm sure it would have been answered kindly in any forum here at SOAR.

Hello sf4jc, funny name? sorry couldn't resist.

The glider I am using to try the winch launch on is the LS8-18 FSX version downloaded from WP's website.

I have the gauges working fine and can programme the GPS_NAV using the Viewer.

I also have FS9 on my PC.

As per Wolfgang's instructions I have installed in the FSX glider the 2 VET files from the FS9 version.

His instructions say to start the VET engine with Ctrl+E with the throttle fully open and after a while the aircraft should move but nothing happens.

I have also tried the FS9 version of the LS8-18 in FSX and it works fine with the exception that there is a gauge missing but also the winch launch doesn't work either.

The winch launch works fine on all the FS9 gliders in FS9.

I need to get this working as I belong to a VFR club and we/I am investigating the possibilities of having a glider section within the club.

A recent survey showed that some 15 members are interested in gliding, however some are using FS9 and some FSX so I need to be able to present to the club as many details as possible as to what is available and where it is and how to install and run the various programmes. That is one of the reasons why I was concerned that I couldn't get CX to run.

NOW of course if anyone else runs into the same problem as me I can advise them accordingly.

SO as much help and advice would be appreciated.

I am not a techie but can follow if you keep it fairly straight forwardand simple.

Kind regards

Richard.

Richard, if I get time today, I will try out the LS8-18 and the VET option inside FSX. I'm unsure at the moment, but Wolfgang has done a great job of updating his aircraft every now and then, so the LS8-18 may have already had the VET option installed. I'll do some further looking when I get a chance. In the mean time, can you make sure you've downloaded the latest LS8-18 from his site, I think he labels his aircraft download with abc's so a person can find out if they do have the latest version.

sf4JC

OK will do.

Bit later.

Yes I am almost certain I have the latest version.

WP does say on his web site that FSX gliders must use the FS9 VET files [except the panel] and then operate as per I said earlier.

i.e. start the vet engine with shift+E with the throttle full open OR press F4.

Regards

Richard.

WP does say on his web site that FSX gliders must use the FS9 VET files [except the panel] and then operate as per I said earlier.

i.e. start the vet engine with shift+E with the throttle full open OR press F4.

Richard.

Richard, I haven't tried the Vet in FSX, but I did in FS9 and I remember that in FS9 it wasn't always needed to press CTRL+E from startup. Just full throttle and after a while the plane was launched. You could try that with your FSX-version to see if that works.

Bert

Richard,

I tried to install the FS2004 VET-files into Wolfgang's FSX Discus2B, but I didn't get the winch start to work either.

Besides that, when you might succeed in getting the VET-winch working in FSX, take under consideration that then the glider can't use the tow-plane anymore to get up. That's because with the VET-technique the engine-type in the aircraft.cfg will be changed into "jet-engine" where the possibility to use the tow-plane is related to the engine type "none".

In fact the VET-technique is no more or less than placing a jet-engine with limited power into the glider, which gives the glider the speed, needed to simulatie a winchstart.

Bert

Richard,

I tried to install the FS2004 VET-files into Wolfgang's FSX Discus2B, but I didn't get the winch start to work either.

Besides that, when you might succeed in getting the VET-winch working in FSX, take under consideration that then the glider can't use the tow-plane anymore to get up. That's because with the VET-technique the engine-type in the aircraft.cfg will be changed into "jet-engine" where the possibility to use the tow-plane is related to the engine type "none".

In fact the VET-technique is no more or less than placing a jet-engine with limited power into the glider, which gives the glider the speed, needed to simulatie a winchstart.

Bert

Hello Bert,

Yes the winch launch in FS9 work fine. You have of course the panel switch to operate the winch.

I can't believe that WP would say that the VET works in FSX and it not do so.

I am wondering if something in the aircraft cfg file needs changing but I am not knowledgeable enough to work out what.

Richard

Richard, I think I read in another thread that you may have gotten the VET system to work, can you let us know what you did if so? I remembered using the Vet system in FSX with the use of the switch in one of my aircraft, and later after checking almost every one, found that it was the FS2004 ASW28 installed in FSX. I did some reading today after trying to install the VET into another plane without success. My guages were working, I was just not getting launched into the air. But then I remembered, that I think the .AIR file needs to be tweaked a bit.

Scott

Hello Scott,

Well I THOUGHT I had cracked it but it was very hit and miss as to whether the VET worked or not.

I have tried a large number of combinations in the CFG file and other parameters.

The only REAL way that worked, and I'm sure everyone has used this, and that is to load a powered aircraft first and then to change to a glider.

If you remember I said that I had e mailed WP and this morning I got a reply from him which I thought was an OK thing.

Here I have copied his reply:-

Hello Richard,

thank you I'm well...

For winch launching in FSX you only have to overwrite the two aircraft dynamic files (attached).

Here the extracting text of my website:

Winch Start without VET switch (FS2002 and FSX):

First you fit out your glider with the 'VET Engine', you'll find the aircraft dynamic files for that in the folder 'VET' of my

FS2002 or FS2004 ZIP files (see the picture). You do not need the panel.cfg with the VET gauges because they don't work in FS2002 and FSX.

After the aircraft was loaded, you start the VET Engine with the shortcut CTRL+ E and then put the throttle on 'full throttle'

or presses the function key F4.(throttle must be in full position during all time).

For about 20 seconds nothing at all happens, but after this time the glider should get into movement. After reaching his

take off speed, the glider starts to climb.

When reaching the desired height the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+F1 turns off the VET Engine (disconnect the cable) and after this

you can continue a free flight.

If the glider will not get into movement after 20 or 30 seconds although you had the throttle on 'full throttle' and pressed CTRL+E for starting the VET engine, then load an aircraft with motor (e.g. Cessna) before, hear wether the motor is running and then load your LS8-18 again.

Good luck,

Wolfgang

NOTE his last para. If the glider will not get into movement etc. So there you have it from the horses mouth so to speak.

It looks to me as if this is what we have to do.

Personally I think the problem is that the sim, for some reason does not recognise the engine start, because if you keep "tool Tips" on then you will see that it keeps saying "an engine is not started press ctrl+E etc"

I have copied into the glider cfg file a whole host of engine data and some worked and some didn't and none of them worked ALL the time.

I did copy in a BAC Strikemaster engine data and the glider took off well, like a rocket but again not consistant.

The only thing that seems to work all the time is by loading a powered aircraft first.

Perhaps this is not such a bad thing because if you load at a parking spot in a motor glider go on line and then you can taxi to your take off point, switch to your glider and off you go.

Sorry I don't have anything more positive but I will keep trying.

Maybe a techie will read this and take up the cause.

What we need if we don't already have one is an aircraft builder to help us out.

Regards

Richard

Richard, I don't mean to be gruff or defensive, but it sounded like you were putting Wolfgang down. I wish and hope it was not your intent. Please forgive me if I took it the wrong way. Wolfgang has done a lot for the Microsoft Flight Sim community as far as gliding goes, and it seems as though he has done it for a very long time. And to keep it going after the initial release of FSX and it's rough start, he's got to be dedicated with his whole heart.

Now, as far as the VET system working or not, it has worked every time for me with the ASW28 in FSX. The switch switches up and the light turns on and starts blinking. Also, the sound of it working is present. So if anyone can explore it's functionality, they could look to that aircraft for an example. I'm not a techy either, so I have no idea as to what I would even be looking for. But when and if I make the time, I'm going to explore entering some values into the .AIR file to see if that corrects my problem.

sf4JC

There was absolutely NO intention on my part to put WP down and I apologise if that is how it read, although I can't understand what bit could be construed as being offensive.

Why should I put him down after mailing him, getting a reply and then sending him my thanks for his help.

I have only either copied what he said or quoted what he said.

I am well aware of what he has contributed to the gliding community but by his own admission sometimes the VET will not work and he gives an alternative method to use.

I'm quite sure that if there was a solution he would have told the community about it, but that does preclude others from trying to find a solution to the problem and that is all I am trying to do without in any way belittling Wolfgangs efforts because without his dedication, skills and knowledge the community would be a lot poorer.

Again I aoplogise if any part of my post gives you personal affront.

Later, ok have found the ASW28 and your right the VET works fine in FSX so I am going to have a look to whats going on.

Richard.

No need for the apology, I just took it the wrong way I guess. Life here is kinda up and down, and sometimes I may not see things too clearly. So, let me apologize to you. I AM VERY SORRY! I tried to put good construction on that post, but must have come up short. Anyway, Please forgive me.

Hope we can get a solution that works consistantly for this problem. Although, I think DirkBoehm was working on a winch launch for FSX, so hopefully that will come out soon. I hope I didn't misunderstand that post as well, I've been getting my hopes up.

sf4JC

OK we'll forget it and move on.

I have a look at using some of the ASW28 data in the ASW15 but no luck I'm afraid.

Lets hope Dirk B can come up with something.

Did you know that the DG101 will accept the Maul for towing in FSX???

Discovered it by accident yesterday.

Regards

Richard.

• 1 year later...

Wolfgang updated his site www.fsglider.de this week with a tutorial on how to support FSX-gliders with winch-start-ability.

He also has some FSX-winch-start-supported gliders available for you. Check the VET-section on his site.

Bert

• 4 months later...

hi all,

I installed winchx, that came with the discus. I wanted to try it with the add on Sion X. It has a gliderfield next to the runway. but when I use winchx. I get dragged over the highway and crash. Is there a way to reposition the winch to the grass runway next to the concrete one, to take of from the gliderfield?

cheerio

Jan

Is there a way to reposition the winch to the grass runway next to the concrete one, to take of from the gliderfield?

Hi Jan

when you make the first launch, the Winch position is determined in the direction to which your glider points, in a distance of the lenght of a cable. It stays there for all subsequent launches until the next FSX session. If you want repositioning of the winch, select "Reset" from "Addons/WinchX!" and adjust the direction of the glider properly. The new position is determined when you initiate the a next launch.

regards,

Peter

Hi Jan

when you make the first launch, the Winch position is determined in the direction to which your glider points, in a distance of the lenght of a cable. It stays there for all subsequent launches until the next FSX session. If you want repositioning of the winch, select "Reset" from "Addons/WinchX!" and adjust the direction of the glider properly. The new position is determined when you initiate the a next launch.

regards,

Peter

thank you Peter for the prompt reply! :)

I will try it right away

cheerio

jan

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I have spent a while trying to get WinchX to work but I have not yet suceeded :/

Whenever I try to do the install it say something along the lines of "cannot install a side-by-side config do you wish to open it in a........blah.blah.blah"

Does anyone know the solution to my irritating problem?

Being a very keen glider flyer (I'm not actually a pilot yet) I would love to get WinchX working so I can recreate the thrill of 0-60 in under 4 seconds!

Thank-you very much,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

please, could you post a screenshot of the error message? Which OS do you have?

best regards,

Peter

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response been quite busy with school and stuff.

My operating system is Windows Vista.

post-29608-126522118956_thumb.jpg

Could you open your application log (control panel, system, administrative tasks, event protocols) and look out for the failure and post the information found there?

32 bit

I haven't a clue how to get to the application log I can get to "Control Panel, System and Maintenance, Administrative tools, Event Viewer

Double click event viewer, then open in the navigation tree "Windows" and there! "Application". Then look for an entry referring to WinchX.exe.

BTW, which FSX version do you have? Does the same error occur, when you try CumulusX!?

How do you do the re-install? WinchX! standalone is just drag and drop.

regards,

Peter

Double click event viewer, then open in the navigation tree "Windows" and there! "Application". Then look for an entry referring to WinchX.exe.

BTW, which FSX version do you have? Does the same error occur, when you try CumulusX!?

How do you do the re-install? WinchX! standalone is just drag and drop.

regards,

Peter

Cumulus X works fine. I have FSX SP2.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I manually install WinchX?

Here is the message I get when I opened viewed the error;

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\Owner\Temp\Modules\WinchX!\WinchX.exe.Manifest". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b",type="win32",version="10.0.61259.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Here are the details;

EventData

Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b",type="win32",version="10.0.61259.0"C:\Users\Owner\Temp\Modules\WinchX!\WinchX.exe.Manifest

To be honest I don't understand this stuff but hopefully you do :)

Regards,

Ben