FSX Winch Launch

To be honest, too, some of it I don't understand either.

It looks a bit to me as if you are trying to run the program from the zip archive as the error message says that it is somewhere at user\owner\temp\...

Could you extract the content of WinchX! so that it lands where it should be, which is in the FSX-directory structure?

You should drag the two included directories from the zip right into the root-directory of FSX, then everything should land where it belongs to. Then try again, please.

best regards,

Peter

Can't it be manually done? I have looked at the read me which says

If the registration fails, you can locate and edit your Addon-configuration file named "EXE.XML" manually. This can be found by open "Run" from the start menu und type "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX". Open the file "EXE.XML" and add the following lines just BEFORE the lase line (this should read "</SimBase.Document>"):

<Launch.Addon>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Name>WinchX!</Name>

<Path> ---- type here the full path to WinchX.exe ------ </Path>

<CommandLine></CommandLine>

<NewConsole>True</NewConsole>

</Launch.Addon>

But I have I cannot locate the EXE.XML and I have followed the adress exactly.

Hi Ben,

the issue isn't at that place. By some weird reason, Windows does not find the a library required for WinchX! though it does find the same library for CumulusX!.

Both tools use the same set of libraries and have also the same manifest-File in their rsp. program directories. A difference is, that CumulusX! saves its settings to the registry, while WinchX! uses a recommended mechanism, which stores its program settings in a per-application area and its personal settings in a per-user area on the harddisk. Maybe the error is a side effect of not being able to create these storage areas. You may do the following:

1) try to start WinchX! when logged in as Admin, if you don't do anyway, and see if the error is gone afterwards.

2) delete the manifest-file from WinchX!' program directory and try again.

2) Reboot the computer, login as admin and copy the file "trace.cmd" of the attached zip into WinchX! program directory. Open a dos-window, navigate to the WinchX!-program directory and type "trace". WinchX! will produce its error message. Confirm it and terminate WinchX!. You'll find in the program directory to new files then, SXS.TRC and SXS.TXT. Please send me SXS.TXT. You can delete SXS.TRC again. This works only once for each Windows-Session.

best regards,

Peter

Trace.zip

Hi Peter,

I don't use CumulusX anymore as it messed up my thermals when I previously had it, but I can assure you it installed fine and I can't install it again for risk of mucking up FSX

It won't do anymore, I'm sure. Try uninstalling SP2 and then re-installing it.

The current Cx! will not interfere with builtin FSX thermals anymore. There is the recommendation to rename ThermalDescriptions, but unless you do it yourself, CumulusX! will not change anything.

regards,

Peter