F16 Frameratekiller And Other Issues

hotas

I first want to congratulate Aerosoft with this outstanding aircraft. She is realy a beauty. On the other hand the bird is a real framratekiller.

I will give an example.

Standard FSX airport Salzburg (LOWS) in Spot view:

-Default B737: 26 framerates

-Default F18 (acceleration pack): 23 framerates

-F16 Aerosoft: hardly 12 framerates

This means a loss of approx 50%

I am running on quiet a hard system: Intell skulltrail, 2CPU 2.66 (8 cores), ATI card 4870X2, Velociraptor of 300GB and 4 G Ram.

In VC the F16 performs around 13 fps.

Any suggestions on this or can we expect a service pack wich can improve the framerates?

A few other issues:

-adjust knob for brighgtness of HUD can be turned but has no effect on the HUD

-lights on the wings when seen from above don't realy look realistic and are not good placed

-when rolling for take off it is very hard to keep the aircraft centered: rudders to sensitive?I also experienced a few times that the aircraft tends to turn to the left.

Any suggestions on these topics are welcome.

So keep up the good work guys.

Hotas

• Aerosoft
I first want to congratulate Aerosoft with this outstanding aircraft. She is realy a beauty. On the other hand the bird is a real framratekiller.

I will give an example.

I am running on quiet a hard system: Intell skulltrail, 2CPU 2.66 (8 cores), ATI card 4870X2, Velociraptor of 300GB and 4 G Ram.

In VC the F16 performs around 13 fps.

Any suggestions on this or can we expect a service pack wich can improve the framerates?

A few other issues:

-adjust knob for brighgtness of HUD can be turned but has no effect on the HUD

-lights on the wings when seen from above don't realy look realistic and are not good placed

-when rolling for take off it is very hard to keep the aircraft centered: rudders to sensitive?I also experienced a few times that the aircraft tends to turn to the left.

Any suggestions on these topics are welcome.

So keep up the good work guys.

Hotas

Well the short answer is

- F-16 external MDL = 24,221 Kb

- Default B737 external MDL = 5,633 kb

There are 5 close to times more details to draw and that simply takes CPU cycles. And there is nothing to expect to boost framerates because it is as optimized as can be, certainly if compared to other models of this size (but I think there are none). And as you have seen other customers are actually pleasantly surprised about the framerates. What does certainly help a lot is de activate aircraft self shadowing. As the model is complex shadowing becomes very complex.

On your other questions..

- Brightness setting of hud is not supported as it would quadruple the size size of that highly CPU intensive gauge (and as you will find it is not in the manual, you can assume everything that is not in the manual not to be active on the aircraft for some reason).

- Lights are a total mess in FSX, they change position with your viewpoint, one of the worst bugs in FSX in our opinion. This is explained in the manual btw.

- could it be that you are flying with non balanced loads? Some models have stuff hanging on one side of the aircraft and of course that will affect the flight model. People report it is too strong though and we are looking into that. The aircraft should not be touchy on the rudder, I would check your stick settings and perhaps reduce the sensibility on the y axis.

Hmm... Strange with FPS set to unlimited on the an average airport with the NOR-3 model I have around 20-24 FPS in DX9, even better in DX10. My lights work in DX10 now btw, after hotfix 1.01 :lol::lol:

I have 4 cores running at 3.0 GhZ and a 4870 HD.

Hmm weird with the lights suddently working.

I have done 100% of new stuff in the hotfix, but have not touched the lights at all.

And people don´t believe in magic :)

Finn

Dag; Do the lights illuminate the ground? That's the only real lighting problem I have, and I hope there is some way to fix it. I have A2A shockwave redux lights, and they look very good in spot view, but in VC they only increase the overall brightness of my monitor a little bit. They do not illuminate the ground with taxi or landing lights turned on.

I have the SW lights and I get a nice pretty outside landing light.

However from the inside, I get a brighting effect in my face as if a uncoming car at night. Not as strong but anyways I get NO ground illumination in front of the plane.

The is xp/sp2/1.1 and the posted light fix.

He Mathijs, did indeed turned off the selfcasting shadow and things improve by 6 or 7 fps.

Even in VC fps improves with 4-5.

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply.

A last question: is there no ADF in the F16? At least i can not find it so i presume only navigation bij VOR?

Regards

Hotas

I´m almost 99% sure ;) that the F-16 doesn´t have ADF.

It uses an Inertial reference system as main navigation source, updated with a GPS (newer F-16 blocks and upgrades) and TACAN (Military VOR station).

TACAN are not simulated in FSX, so the Aerosoft version uses VOR instead.

If You want to use VOR for navigation, be sure to set the DEPR. switch on the remote controlpanel to the required position (read the manual how) as well as setting the Stdby HSI nav source switch to NAV/ILS.

On the Right MFD press HSI button to get an enlarged HSI (The real F-16 doesn´t have such an HSI, but has been added on the Aerosoft version)

Finn

Dag; Do the lights illuminate the ground? That's the only real lighting problem I have, and I hope there is some way to fix it. I have A2A shockwave redux lights, and they look very good in spot view, but in VC they only increase the overall brightness of my monitor a little bit. They do not illuminate the ground with taxi or landing lights turned on.

Nope, lights don't illuminate the ground here for sure. Pity but true.

Nope, lights don't illuminate the ground here for sure. Pity but true.

Dag,

Do you all plan to put out the FINAL release, for the Acceleration version, with the LND/TAXI Lights visible from VC illuminated on the ground?

I would like that along with my face on Pilot. I've already sent pic.'s to Mr. Kok as he requested; Now just let me know if it is a matter of $$$$? ;)

Danke

"I would like that along with my face on Pilot"

No offense but if they put your face on the pilot, Aerosoft had BETTER give up the option the put a "darkly tinted" visor DOWN on the bone dome :lol:

"I would like that along with my face on Pilot"

No offense but if they put your face on the pilot, Aerosoft had BETTER give up the option the put a "darkly tinted" visor DOWN on the bone dome :lol:

Mr. Jim,

They're giving me a personal copy of the F-16 with that request; that Mr. Kok already agreed to; as part of my prize winning; I guess...

So, you won't see it unless I post a screenshot. :lol::lol::lol:

And, it is purely a request I made which they are kind enough to do when they have the time. ;) But, who knows, I may have to pay for it too :P

It uses an Inertial reference system as main navigation source, updated with a GPS (newer F-16 blocks and upgrades) and TACAN (Military VOR station).

If You want to use VOR for navigation, be sure to set the DEPR. switch on the remote controlpanel to the required position (read the manual how) as well as setting the Stdby HSI nav source switch to NAV/ILS.

On the Right MFD press HSI button to get an enlarged HSI (The real F-16 doesn´t have such an HSI, but has been added on the Aerosoft version)

Finn

He Finn, as you state there is no ADF, when you look at the left console i see a button which is marked ADF.

????

Hotas

Hi,

I have the same problem with keeping the a/c centered during take off. I don't think it is the joystick setting because of no problem with other a/c. The rudder is so sensitive even during touch down and just to keep the a/c centered is no fun

Jimmy

Hi,

I have the same problem with keeping the a/c centered during take off. I don't think it is the joystick setting because of no problem with other a/c. The rudder is so sensitive even during touch down and just to keep the a/c centered is no fun

Jimmy

Indeed, i think they are too sensitive. Also when applying rudder in a sharp turn, a/c tents to slip instead of making the yaw movement and pushing the a/c horizontally into the sky like you can see in real when the F-16 makes a sharp 360* high G-turn.I mean when applying rudder its almost the same or give more sidepush to the stick.

Lets hope they will look for a solution. I remember me the F-16 from Lago which you could perfectly fly in a high G turn with suffivcient rudder apply and excellent performance.

• Aerosoft

Well for starters I don't know what aircraft you compare it to but the F-16 is of course highly agile and inherently not very stable. Lining up and taking off do not present any problem to me (and to most users I think), so perhaps it is something in combination between your control hardware and your settings. Are all stick settings default? No FSUIPC stick settings used? Is the stick well balanced and centered? Are you sure it is not Xwind? The F-16 has a problem with that due to the rather large tail and slippery fuselage.

As the manual explains, rudder is only to be used in rather defined conditions, over 60 knots on the runway and as a last resort in lining up for landing. In normal flight the rudder pedals are NEVER used.

Finn

It would be easy to simulate TACAN in FSX, by simply translate TACAN from the VOR freqs like:

17X.............108.00

17Y.............108.05

18X.............108.10

18Y.............108.15

19X.............108.20

19Y.............108.25

20X.............108.30

20Y.............108.35

21X.............108.40

21Y.............108.45

up to

126X............117.90

126Y............117.95

but how hard it is to put into the F-16 I have no idea.

I only fly the beauty, not programming it. ;)

Erik.

Indeed, i think they are too sensitive. Also when applying rudder in a sharp turn, a/c tents to slip instead of making the yaw movement and pushing the a/c horizontally into the sky like you can see in real when the F-16 makes a sharp 360* high G-turn.I mean when applying rudder its almost the same or give more sidepush to the stick.

Lets hope they will look for a solution. I remember me the F-16 from Lago which you could perfectly fly in a high G turn with suffivcient rudder apply and excellent performance.

Hi, first of all let me say that the plane has an auto rudder, so you can set this in the FSX

Secondly, have a look at the loadout...sometimes you have to trim the plane to the left or the right when the loadout isnt equal, for instance the plane has 2 aim-9ers on the left wing and on the right 1 aim-9 and 1 ECM pod.....the pod's weight is less then the aim-9, so the weight is more to the left...when you trim to the right the plane could get more stable...

3rd, How can you compare to the LAGO F-16, sorry to say but that profile of FM is way off reality..

4th Finn is right about the Fact that the Viper doesnt use ADF, only ILS, TACAN/DME and GPS...there is no marking on the left console with ADF,.. ADV yes but this has nothing to do with ADF

About possibility of the TACAN freq...Mister Quizboy thats an excellent idea but it has to be programmed...or maybe a specific add on so you can programm it yourselfe

Kind Regards

4th Finn is right about the Fact that the Viper doesnt use ADF, only ILS, TACAN/DME and GPS...there is no marking on the left console with ADF,.. ADV yes but this has nothing to do with ADF

You sure Ray? At the UHF panel, it's labeled ADF only it's not operational in the (real) F-16: http://www.xflight.de/pg_org_par_lfc_uhf.htm

Gentlemen,

The use of ADF in this Radio is for radio (audio) reception and NOT strictly for navigational purposes. It is used as way of testing the system against a commonly use airwave signals known to most everybody as AM radio frequencies. Many Military aircraft are equipped with it for this reason, as well as, NDB Marker beacon location verification and detection; which are used in navigation to determine an approach fix or reporting point (like a Outter/middle/inner markers of an approach) and that is all it does (i.e. NO RADIAL (Heading to) directional information).

I know it is confusing ... I hope this helps clear things up. ;)