Scenery Cfg Question

camaflight

Hello all,

In the scenery cfg file you will find for every section folllowing two lines:

Local=

Remote=

My question is; when is the Remote= to be used.

I ask as I have placed mesh files in another drive and wonder if I'm doing something wrong by adressing these files from the Local=. It should perhaps been configured like this;

[areaxxxx]

---

---

---

Local=

Remote=X (letter for the drive):\xxxxMESH

Carl

• Verified Developer

Hi,

then you select Box "Cache this scenery" in the Scenery Library Entry Menu, than the entry of the path is writen in "Remote=" and the FS will generate a cache copy somewhere below you useraccount.

When you select "use this scenery directly" it is set to LOCAL= and the FS will read the data direct from that path.

Remote is only helpful (and should never be used), when the Scenery source is on a CD.

So forget Remote=

Hello all,

In the scenery cfg file you will find for every section folllowing two lines:

Local=

Remote=

My question is; when is the Remote= to be used.

I ask as I have placed mesh files in another drive and wonder if I'm doing something wrong by adressing these files from the Local=. It should perhaps been configured like this;

[areaxxxx]

---

---

---

Local=

Remote=X (letter for the drive):\xxxxMESH

Carl

IIRC remote is a cache file call left over from FS9 days, which offered either a complete or partial install, with scenery being extracted from CD on request when the product was not installed completely. It is not used in FSX and does not appear at all in my scenery.cfg.

I also have a second separate hard drive with some addons called into FSX from there and one such entry is for the 38m French Mesh, which is actually installed for FS9 but which is called from there by FSX scenery.cfg to make it available in both sims. Here's what that entry looks like in FSX:-

[Area.116]

Title=MeshFrance

Local=H:\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\MeshFrance

Active=FALSE

Required=FALSE

Layer=116

(note this is currently DISabled in FSX, hence the `False` statements)

That was applied by actually using the scenery GUI in FSX to point to the file on a different drive and the location of the mesh files.

It works just fine like this, so all you have to do is use the Local address, as above, and you should be fine.

Thanks both of you.

Oliver figured out I'm using FS9, but that isn't that important as I need to know for both versions. I un-installed the FSX as it worked so badly before the SP and as I have so much wonderfull addons for fs9, amongst several also a super addon that's called AES ;):lol: , I still hang on with FS9 for a while.

I have only one problem really with FS9 - I get runtime error 70 now and then when using Radar Contact.

Never had it in the past years, but something has been changed to my system that gives me this "permission denied"-runtime error 70. I thought maybe I had made something wrong with the scenery configuration as mentioned initially, but I guess I have to look somewhere else.....

Carl