Being Pulled To The Gate ?

EHE

Hi all,

I recall having read in one of the previous versions manual the possibility of the aircraft being pulled to the gate at arrival. This was because of the limited maneouvring space available at the apron. If I am not mistaken this was at only one airport: EDLW Dortmund.

I cannot find this anymore in the newer versions m,anuals, and I cannot get this to work at EDLW. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks,

Eric

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

I recall having read in one of the previous versions manual the possibility of the aircraft being pulled to the gate at arrival. This was because of the limited maneouvring space available at the apron. If I am not mistaken this was at only one airport: EDLW Dortmund.

I cannot find this anymore in the newer versions m,anuals, and I cannot get this to work at EDLW. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks,

Eric

You know,

I brought this up back in Febuary. At most airports, most gates, aircraft need shut down engines on twy to be towed nose first into position due to safty and jetblast. Oliver, will we ever have this option?

You know,

I brought this up back in Febuary. At most airports, most gates, aircraft need shut down engines on twy to be towed nose first into position due to safty and jetblast. Oliver, will we ever have this option?

I have to interject here. "Most airports, most gates" where? In the US this is the exception by far, as it is in Canada, Mexico, and the few places in South America I have charting information handy for.

Yes, I'd like to see this feature for those places where it is used, but please don't overstate the actual commonality of the practice.

I have to interject here. "Most airports, most gates" where? In the US this is the exception by far, as it is in Canada, Mexico, and the few places in South America I have charting information handy for.

Yes, I'd like to see this feature for those places where it is used, but please don't overstate the actual commonality of the practice.

Yes United States for sure.

I have flown into the following European airports (real life) where I was towed into the gate on a widebody aircraft.

LOWW

LKPR

EGLL

EGSS

LFPG

EDDF

LSZH

LIRF

These airports are all covered in AES. Next time you are parking a widebody in FS use common sence and if looks like the next terminal behind you will be affected by your jet blast. It will. And for the record, I didn't ask you. I am asking Oliver. If he thinks it is important, he will reasearch it. Fair enough??

Guys,

Thanks for your responses sofar. Although I would also be interested in what you brought up, that's not really what I meant.

At EDLW - which is a rather small airport - this had to do with smaller aircraft. I guess I should have said 'pulled to the stand' in stead of 'pulled to the gate'.

Eric

• Developer
Yes United States for sure.

I have flown into the following European airports (real life) where I was towed into the gate on a widebody aircraft.

LOWW

LKPR

EGLL

EGSS

LFPG

EDDF

LSZH

LIRF

These airports are all covered in AES. Next time you are parking a widebody in FS use common sence and if looks like the next terminal behind you will be affected by your jet blast. It will. And for the record, I didn't ask you. I am asking Oliver. If he thinks it is important, he will reasearch it. Fair enough??

:mellow: You must have dreamed that ;) I never saw that in EDDF and I am sure, that in non of this listed airports this a near to any "Standard" procedure. So, forget it.

Maybe you saw aircraft towed from the technical area to the gates.

• Developer
Guys,

Thanks for your responses sofar. Although I would also be interested in what you brought up, that's not really what I meant.

At EDLW - which is a rather small airport - this had to do with smaller aircraft. I guess I should have said 'pulled to the stand' in stead of 'pulled to the gate'.

Eric

Hi,

the Feature to push IN (reverse) into a position is allways available, when the position is designed to be parked like this. EDLW is one of this airport, where such positions are available (and the only one, where the main positions are disignered like this). But, there are several other airports (don't ask me which), where some minor apron position have this feature. You can see it, when you open the Followme Menu and toggle over all available positions there. When the position is designed for PUSH_IN you see it in the line of the gatenumber in the menu. When you select such position, the Followme will guide you there and stop you on the taxiline, then the pushin procedure starts.

Hi,

the Feature to push IN (reverse) into a position is allways available, when the position is designed to be parked like this. EDLW is one of this airport, where such positions are available (and the only one, where the main positions are disignered like this). But, there are several other airports (don't ask me which), where some minor apron position have this feature. You can see it, when you open the Followme Menu and toggle over all available positions there. When the position is designed for PUSH_IN you see it in the line of the gatenumber in the menu. When you select such position, the Followme will guide you there and stop you on the taxiline, then the pushin procedure starts.

Oliver,

That was what I was looking for. Thanks for confirming and clarifying the proper procedure; I'll give it a try.

Eric

QUOTE (OPabst @ Aug 20 2008, 07:31 ) mellow.gif You must have dreamed that wink.gif I never saw that in EDDF and I am sure, that in non of this listed airports this a near to any "Standard" procedure. So, forget it.

Hi,

although KLAX is not covered by AES yet, I was on a flight from EDDM to KLAX where the Pilot turned of the engines when he was in the Ramp area of the International Terminal (I think it was already between the American Airlines Terminal and Bradley) and told us, that because if the length of the aircraft, it would be pulled into it's final position. The aircraft was an A340-300.

I don't consider this a must have feature, I just wanted to say, that this does happen. Also at US Airports.

Regards

Hi,

although KLAX is not covered by AES yet, I was on a flight from EDDM to KLAX where the Pilot turned of the engines when he was in the Ramp area of the International Terminal (I think it was already between the American Airlines Terminal and Bradley) and told us, that because if the length of the aircraft, it would be pulled into it's final position. The aircraft was an A340-300.

I don't consider this a must have feature, I just wanted to say, that this does happen. Also at US Airports.

Regards

Markus Siebenhaar

This is correct. Due to aircraft size. But mostly due to jetblast.

:mellow: You must have dreamed that ;) I never saw that in EDDF and I am sure, that in non of this listed airports this a near to any "Standard" procedure. So, forget it.

Ok Oliver. In thess cases it was not normal procedure then. I didn't know that. However, as I always video my flights, I know I wasn't dreaming but i'll watch the video again to make sure... ;) Was all an unusual case then and I was onboard these flights.... Yet I can make the videos avail to all who want to see them. But if it is not normal procedure at any of the airports then no worries. I stand corrected. And as Oliver so astutely put: I'll forget it.

Thanks for clearing this up. :lol:

I have seen them "dolly" planes around here at CYYZ. After they have been parked over night and need to be towed to the gate to start loading in the morning. Never seen this with PAX or Crew on board though. This is a common practice at CYYZ early in the morning.