H1-b: A Few Bugs?

guenseli

Hello,

congratulation for this high quality addon. I´ve waited a long time for a such detailed model like the DA DO-27.

But I have a few questions or maybe this are some kind of bugs.

I hope you can help me or fix it.

I've have te Acceleretion Pack

Here is a list after my first few test flights:

1) Autopilot:

I'm not able to adjust the Autopilots Course or Altitude in both ways. If I click the gyrocompass course calibration knob, it works just for one direction. The result is, that I can fly just left circles with autopilot. Same with Altitude Adustment. I can just climb, no descent. I've tried it with mouseclicks left and right the knobs, click and hold and with the mousewheel. No positive result. Any Ideas?

Same with Radio: I can only transpond upwards not downwards, whether or not with clicking, clicking and holding or with the mousewheel!

Same with Altitude calibration (QNH adjustment). I just can calibrate the inHg downwards...

2) I can not damage the plane.

Everything works fine as it should: failure with carborate freezing, with overheating and so on, but the result isnt fire or anything else. Just the engine is off and the mixture lever and the two magneto switches going back to 0% and OFF position and I have to wait until cylinder is cooling down or what ever happens. Meanwhile Mixture lever and Magnetos always switching back to zero position. After cooling down I can normaly restart (when there already enough meters left to the ground :P )

3) Is it possible to enable short explanations while mouseover over the instruments?

4) The wobble pump is just working, if the fuel pressure is completely gone back to zero. I think it would be more realistic if I can pump up at any state between zero and 4? Or I'm wrong?

5) It would be nice if you can bring up the Radio panel with a shift combination.

6) I dont know exactly in which situation, but it was sometimes when engine failed or something was wrong, that I wasn't able to reactivate carb heating after setting carb heat to OFF and wobble pump was out of function to. In this situation there carb heat and wobble are both not clickable.

7) There is a reproducable sound bug. I use everytime cold&dark mod and I've hear engine starting when pushing the throttle lever up and down.

8) Start up sequence:

I follow step by step your advice, but sometimes magnetos and mixture lever is jumping back to OFF after clicking. When I click carb heater 5 to 10 times, I can set magnetos and mixture.

9) I follow starting sequence and the starter isnt running. The starter knob is clickable, but engine and prob aren't turning and no starting sound too. With strg+E engine is running up correctly then. What I'm doing wrong? Or is it a bug? As I've said I follow exactly your starting advice. And I think, the starter should turn in every case, whether or not the engine would correctly start up?

--> I've just tested another round with another idea: after loading a standard FSX aircraft (f.e. the Extra and without starting engine; just cold and dark)) and then again loading H1-B cold&dark points 7 and 9 are in correct function.

10) Is it too unrealistic to make the sound of gear and flaps a little bit more louder? I can't hear them very well.

so, thats a long list but I will see forward that you can help me with my problems following the high supporting standard since today.

And apart from the long list I have much fun flying with the H1-B

Good night any many thanks and sorry for my english,

guenter

I can't say about the bugs listed above...

I did find that the Fuel Gauge when set to show the amounts in the Auxiliary wing tanks on the long wing H-1B, displays opposite to the Auxiliary tanks valve setting in front of the seat. :huh:

In the real H1 short wing model, both the wings and the flaps were manually operated. Because of this, the sound will be very hard to hear if at all. In the long wing model, Hughes installed a hydraulic gear as a result of the crash on the short wing version.

Regardless, flaps since they are manually operated should overall be near impossible to hear. This is very similar to how the Bf109 operates.

• Aerosoft

1) use left and right mouse clicks (will check if this is documented well enough in the manual)

2) you sure you running on full realism?

3) partly, the problem is that you can only show there what FSX allows, you can't make your own text for that.

4) yes, but that is just not possible in FSX at this moment (or better we were not able to get it that way)

5) it's not possible to call up view points with direct key commands and to keep FPS up we decide not to add any 2d panels. But you are never more then a few key presses from that view so it is still pretty fast (just cycle through the views with [a])

6) unable to recreate here, but will keep it in mind

7) what other system settings, everything off? I tried a bit but could not recreate it.

8) 9) we'll look at the systems again but are simply not able to recreate, totally reliable here. This leads to a suspicion it is related to system settings when the aircraft is loaded. Could you try to recreate this from the "Tutorial 1: First Takeoff' flight?

10) manual extension, you crank the handle so there is nothing to make sound.

• Aerosoft
I can't say about the bugs listed above...

I did find that the Fuel Gauge when set to show the amounts in the Auxiliary wing tanks on the long wing H-1B, displays opposite to the Auxiliary tanks valve setting in front of the seat. :huh:

Okay that's one I also see there, we'll investigate.

In the real H1 short wing model, both the wings and the flaps were manually operated. Because of this, the sound will be very hard to hear if at all. In the long wing model, Hughes installed a hydraulic gear as a result of the crash on the short wing version.

Regardless, flaps since they are manually operated should overall be near impossible to hear. This is very similar to how the Bf109 operates.

You wont hear the flaps, its just to louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud in the pit.

Its the same you look a candle in the night and during the day. Like the engine supresses the flaps sounds which only go by bycicle chains and gearwheels, sun the overpowers the candle light

by hundredthousands of times.

Flaps sounds are often overdone in sims I had the feeling.

Another unnamed developer I have worked for had a similar situation with an aircraft of theirs. Because the flaps were manually operated, they included a small "squeak" noise rather then the typified sound of flaps moving. Even then, this wasn't 100% accurate and people still complained.

Sometimes, and I have learned this the hard way, we have to forgo our typical assumptions of how planes operate in order to facilitate and understand the particular characteristics of a new one. There were many conversations in the beta forum for the H1 simply trying to discuss how a particular part operated according to our assumptions against the realities. Stefan always came to said conversations equipped heavily with gained knowledge and data to back up his claims.

In regards to myself, while having considerable knowledge of period aircraft, I learned a few new things along the way about the H1 that have increased my understanding of the mechanics of the machine and the thought process initially used when building it.

Mathijs Kok (Aerosoft) wrote:

1) use left and right mouse clicks (will check if this is documented well enough in the manual)

Ahh, its working!

I checked the manual and I havent found the hint. But my english isn't aybe good enough.

Wouldn't it be a good feature to control the knobs with the mousewheel, too?

Yes, absolute sure! Absolute full realism!

But I've seen now the small dark cloud in outside view. i've thought, I have to see some reaction inside the cockpit.

3) partly, the problem is that you can only show there what FSX allows, you can't make your own text for that.

ok

4) yes, but that is just not possible in FSX at this moment (or better we were not able to get it that way)

ok

5) it's not possible to call up view points with direct key commands and to keep FPS up we decide not to add any 2d panels. But you are never more then a few key presses from that view so it is still pretty fast (just cycle through the views with [a])

I understand, but with "A" theres no Radio Panel View showing up... Could you implement this?

It's from time to time, but not often, so I'm unable to exlpain the exact condictions.

7) what other system settings, everything off? I tried a bit but could not recreate it.

I use the Cold&Dark mod from AVSIM (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=cdx.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search).

Today the bug wasn't because I've changed the starting flight. So it has sth. to do with the cold&dark mod. But this mod is really cool...

oh yes, it was C&D-mod!!!

8) 9) we'll look at the systems again but are simply not able to recreate, totally reliable here. This leads to a suspicion it is related to system settings when the aircraft is loaded. Could you try to recreate this from the "Tutorial 1: First Takeoff' flight?

I can't find "Tutorial 1: First Takeoff' flight?! or do you mean the FSX Tutorial with the UL??? (

Ok, now I´ve deinstalled the cold&dark mod an the Starter switch workd correctly!

I understand

A) I found another small sound-bug, maybe. If you close or open the window and abort it and click again to close/open in other direction, then the open/close-sound will never end and is in a loop.

B) And I have still the failure with magnetos and mixture lever: engines going out correctly, because of carb ice or cyl-head temperature (now, I#ve seen the smoke from outside view; I've thought I have to see it in the cockpit) and magnetos and mixture lever switching automatically to OFF. And I'm not able to switch them back until e.g. cyl-head-temp is below 200 degree.

C) And this brings me to an understanding question concerning the failure system:

carb-icing: engine just going off, nothing else happen? I have switch on carb heater, waiting for correct temp and restart engine?

cyl-head-temp too high: engines going OFF, just a small black smoke cloud, but no damage? I have to wait and start again?

And till now, I wasn't able to overhead OIL temp. Before this happend, cyl-head was overtemped. Can you give me a hint how to fly for overheating OIL?

Sorry for long texts, but many thanks for fantastic and friendly support!

keep on good work!

I am a sound nut and very few of my planes are "stock".

I doubt you will have heard anything ovet that roar of a engine but I LOVE the clunking,hydrolic sound then that THUMP when I raise/lower the gear.

I simply changed the flaps and gear sounds and then bumped them up in the sound.cfg to 10000.

Also helps to turn down the engine to about 85 in FSX.

Thats all I changed which is a BIG compliment to the sound guy since I usually change the touchdowns and roll sounds.

And FORGIVE me for I have SINNED.

I added a ,gulp..... GPS :o

I know, the horror.

But I love to know where and what I am looking at.

I also now have a few dozen flights and have NOT had the wierd,mixture turnng off bug reported earlier.

I am looking forward to the f-16 but you guys HAVE to do another older classic. Does not have to be a warbird.

Mathijs Kok (Aerosoft) wrote:

Ahh, its working!

I checked the manual and I havent found the hint. But my english isn't aybe good enough.

Wouldn't it be a good feature to control the knobs with the mousewheel, too?

Yes, absolute sure! Absolute full realism!

But I've seen now the small dark cloud in outside view. i've thought, I have to see some reaction inside the cockpit.

ok

ok

I understand, but with "A" theres no Radio Panel View showing up... Could you implement this?

It's from time to time, but not often, so I'm unable to exlpain the exact condictions.

I use the Cold&Dark mod from AVSIM (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=cdx.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search).

Today the bug wasn't because I've changed the starting flight. So it has sth. to do with the cold&dark mod. But this mod is really cool...

oh yes, it was C&D-mod!!!

I can't find "Tutorial 1: First Takeoff' flight?! or do you mean the FSX Tutorial with the UL??? (

Ok, now I´ve deinstalled the cold&dark mod an the Starter switch workd correctly!

I understand

A) I found another small sound-bug, maybe. If you close or open the window and abort it and click again to close/open in other direction, then the open/close-sound will never end and is in a loop.

B) And I have still the failure with magnetos and mixture lever: engines going out correctly, because of carb ice or cyl-head temperature (now, I#ve seen the smoke from outside view; I've thought I have to see it in the cockpit) and magnetos and mixture lever switching automatically to OFF. And I'm not able to switch them back until e.g. cyl-head-temp is below 200 degree.

C) And this brings me to an understanding question concerning the failure system:

carb-icing: engine just going off, nothing else happen? I have switch on carb heater, waiting for correct temp and restart engine?

cyl-head-temp too high: engines going OFF, just a small black smoke cloud, but no damage? I have to wait and start again?

And till now, I wasn't able to overhead OIL temp. Before this happend, cyl-head was overtemped. Can you give me a hint how to fly for overheating OIL?

Sorry for long texts, but many thanks for fantastic and friendly support!

keep on good work!

The aircraft is designed to start from itself from a COLD and DARK mode. You have nothing to do else. Just load the aircraft after starting FSX and go.

For the more convinient guys among you there is still the autostart option via STRG+E.

ok guys,

I've deleted FSX.cfg

And the issue with inoperate starting button is gone.

So now just the issue with magneto and mixture going to OFF when engine fails is left.

And the little sound bug with opening the window.

(and for now on I wasn't able to overheat the OIL?! Cyl-head temp was faster :blink: )

So now just the issue with magneto and mixture going to OFF when engine fails is left.

It's supposed to do that if you have caused the engine to fail because of neglect.

ok guys,

I've deleted FSX.cfg

And the issue with inoperate starting button is gone.

And the little sound bug with opening the window.

(and for now on I wasn't able to overheat the OIL?! Cyl-head temp was faster :blink: )

The magnetos and mixtures going off is not a bug but a "feature".

Until another way of making the engine shut down is found, this is a normal behaviour of the H-1 when the engine fails.

Finn

Until another way of making the engine shut down is found, this is a normal behaviour of the H-1 when the engine fails.

ok, then for my understanding:

It is normal that, if the engine fails (what reason would ever cause that) the mixture lever is jumping to 0% and the Magneto Knobs are switching to OFF?

The 2 Knobs and the Mixture Lever are just simple mechanical parts without any servomotors. So it is unrealistic when they move when engine's going off.

So, isn't it (cause of maybe FSX restrictions) possible to solve this problem in another way, in other words: this should be as it is?

sorry for asking again a little stupid but my english isnt so good. So I ask twice sometimes :rolleyes:

• Aerosoft
ok, then for my understanding:

It is normal that, if the engine fails (what reason would ever cause that) the mixture lever is jumping to 0% and the Magneto Knobs are switching to OFF?

The 2 Knobs and the Mixture Lever are just simple mechanical parts without any servomotors. So it is unrealistic when they move when engine's going off.

So, isn't it (cause of maybe FSX restrictions) possible to solve this problem in another way, in other words: this should be as it is?

sorry for asking again a little stupid but my english isnt so good. So I ask twice sometimes :rolleyes:

Your English is fine, stop worrying about that.

Yes basically the options are limited if you do your failures likes this. We did experiment a bit but with little success.

Your English is fine, stop worrying about that.

Yes basically the options are limited if you do your failures likes this. We did experiment a bit but with little success.

I haven't had engine fires with my flights yet, but is the engine fire in this shot made with fsx internal failure thingy or can I see something like this by flying 'wrong'?

H107.jpg

I haven't had engine fires with my flights yet, but is the engine fire in this shot made with fsx internal failure thingy or can I see something like this by flying 'wrong'?

What You see in the above screenshot is the oilfire caused by too high oil temperature.

To trigger the oilfire climb at a low speed like 150-170 mph with full throttle and max Prop RPM.

Once CHT is close to 450°F back of on the throttle to 40"Hg.

You might want to increase speed a bit to 180-190 mph to cool down CHT

Oil temp is lacking behind CHT, but also slower to cool.

This way You can "manage" CHT at get oil temp up in the red arc.

If You manage to get oil temp above 115°C then it´s only a matter of short time before the engine quits and the above effect is triggered.

Be aware that failure due to high CHT it´s much more likly than failure due to high Oil temp.

Both Oil temp. and CHT is dependent on outside temperature and airspeed.

Finn

What You see in the above screenshot is the oilfire caused by too high oil temperature.

To trigger the oilfire climb at a low speed like 150-170 mph with full throttle and max Prop RPM.

Once CHT is close to 450°F bak of on the throttle to 40"Hg.

You might want to increase speed a bit to 180-190 mph to cool down CHT

Oil temp is lacking behind CHT, nut also slower to cool.

This way You can "manage" CHT at get oil temp up in the red arc.

If You manege to get oil temp above 115°C then it´s only a metter of short time before the engine quits and the above effect is triggered.

Be aware that failure due to high CHT it´s much more likly than failure due to high Oil temp.

Both Oil temp. and CHT is dependent on outside temperature and airspeed.

Finn

I think you have written this guide 'how to blow your engine' like 10 times :D

I think you have written this guide 'how to blow your engine' like 10 times

Yes because some users seem to have troubles to blow it, whilst I did it countless time during beta testing.

Infact I´m one of Pratt & Whitneys best customers :D - well virtually seen !

Allthough You should take care managing Your engine in the H-1, it is still very reliable.

I have flown Howard Hughes Transcontinental route from Burbank California to Newark near New Your (See the documentary downloadable from the H-1 product page) without a single hitch from the engine.

On the otherside if You keep the power in the red zones or keep on flying slow at high power settings, You will inevitable ruin the engine.

Finn

Yes because some users seem to have troubles to blow it, whilst I did it countless time during beta testing.

Infact I´m one of Pratt & Whitneys best customers :D - well virtually seen !

Allthough You should take care managing Your engine in the H-1, it is still very reliable.

I have flown Howard Hughes Transcontinental route from Burbank California to Newark near New Your (See the documentary downloadable from the H-1 product page) without a single hitch from the engine.

On the otherside if You keep the power in the red zones or keep on flying slow at high power settings, You will inevitable ruin the engine.

Finn

I was afraid that I would blow engine up every second minute, but I just can't destroy it if I don't want to and oil fire is close to impossible for me, cause always something else brokes ;)

Hi Valttri

Oil fire is likly to occur if you are climbing at slow speed (Don´t worry I won´t tell the entire procedure again ;) ), but keeping manifold pressure below the red arc.

As I stated before:

Oil temp is lacking behind CHT, because there is a greater mass to heat thats also poorer and slower cooled (oil has to be transported to the oilcooler in the wing and back again) .

And offcourse the engine won´t blow up if You operate it in the right way.

Finn