Help With The H-1

roei

Hello, i have 2 problems. The first is when i fly, the mixture throttle goes back into cutoff and then when i try to move it forward again it does cracking sounds and it doesnt work, or somthing like that. The second problem is when i do raise seat and then down seat the seat does not come to the normal position, it comes somtimes lower and somtimes higher. What should i do?

Hello, i have 2 problems. The first is when i fly, the mixture throttle goes back into cutoff and then when i try to move it forward again it does cracking sounds and it doesnt work, or somthing like that. The second problem is when i do raise seat and then down seat the seat does not come to the normal position, it comes somtimes lower and somtimes higher. What should i do?

Hi roei!

Mixture lever: Did you use the carburetor heater when taxiing or flying in cold/humid air? Its possible that your carburetor just got iced completely and this can also happen during taxiing if weather situation has right conditions. So you HAVE to use the heater or the water vapor inside the air will built up ice fastly and enclose the air intake inside the carburetor.

Seat: Thats also described inside the manual. For returning into the pit you should use the shortcut for closing exits (usually SHIFT+E) or a special defined button on your stick/yoke. It is a limitation of the FSX routine and so it has problems remembering the correct position with strong pitches at parking position and the aircraft going into level flight...

Regards,

Stefan

Its a wierd bug.

I flew a dozen times last night and never saw it.

This morning I began a flight on the runway.

Hot day, first flight.

Got the engine started and then it shut down.

I then noticed the mixture lever had moved to off. I tried a few times to push it forward and it kept coming back to off.

It finally stayed and then I couldnt start the engine.

I then noticed both magneto switches had turned to off.

I flipped them back on and started normally.

Hopefully this is a rare and isolated problem.

What was the outside temperature when the engine shut down ?

Be aware that carburettor icing might occure if temperature is below 25 degrees.

When the enhanced carburettor icing is triggered and the engine goes dead, the magnetoes are turned off.

This is a limitation of FSX.

Einn

85f

Do not think carb ice is going to be a problem sitting on the ground watching girls in Bikinis :rolleyes:

It may well be. The fuel is accelerated through the carb and therefore compressed and cooled, so ambient temperature has very little to do with carb icing, as many a dead pilot will no longer tell you. It's more a function of temperature v. moisture content in the atmosphere so it could easily happen in the humid, hot environment of a bikini-clad woman... ;)

My money is on icing as well. Keep in mind the icing model in this aircraft is a lot more realistic then it is in most others. See if you can recreate it with the de-icing on.

Note that you have TWO de-icing systems on the aircraft.

1. Pitot deicing...only important for keeping the airspeed gauges working, because the measuring pitot you can see at the left wingtimp can also close its forward end with ice.

If this happens, airspeed gauges will be out of order until heated up again

2....and perhaps must important for you: Carburetor Deicer/Heater

This is activated with the lever directly right beside the suction gauge, which itself is located on the center/bottom instrument panel.

This has chrome bubble grip and should be pulled upward. Then you will notice an increase of Carburetor Temp which is shown on the left lower instrument panel (small round gauge).

Note that the carburetor temperature without carb heating will drop at average 20-30 degrees celsius under full throttle. This means that if you have outside temp of 30 degrees there will be

zero degrees celsius around the carburetor fuel nozzles. Together with high humidity in the air, you can freeze the carburetor already during taxiing! Thats a realworld problem of those aged

aircraft. Today many system function automaticly and it is just normal that somewhere in the modern aircraft sits a small computer which measures the carb temp and engages the heater

automaticly when needed. So now you see what a human being had to think on when driving such a ship in the golden age of aviation. It complex stuff, yes, but it hardens you.

But we surely need to see a certain trend in behaviour to judge what happened to you.

I had the same thing about the magentos and by the way i flew in Israel so guess what was the temperature.... (Not below 25 degrees)

• Aerosoft
Even after i manage to start the engine again the problem happens again

But what's the carb temperature telleng you? And you get the same problem when you have the carburetor heater on?

Keep in mind this not a modern carburetor that is far better protected against icing.

Its the same failure I've posted in another thread.

It's not only the Carb icing, also the Cyl-Head Temperature.

Maybe have a close look next time if the Cyl-Head Temp is about 500 degrees.

And if this happens you have to wait till the temperature is down to 200 degrees, then you can reactivate magnetos and mixture.

I think this is a kind of bug, that mixture and magnetos go to OFF when engines falling out??

It is not a bug that the mixture and magnetos are going to off.

Allthough many things has been improved in FSX, this is still the only usefull way to make the engine quit when it fails.

You can use the "Toggle engine failure" event, but thats not very pretty. The engine simply toggles between zero throttle and Your current throttle setting.

You could stop the engine by simply commanding mixture to zero, but for people who are using a hardware controller for mixture control - a "spiky" hardware would not allways "allow" the engine to stop.

I assume that this is the way the Digital Aviation Do-27 is doing it, but then You won´t have the option to use a harware controller for mixture control !

The last way is using the "Auto shut down function" wich works like You see right now !

Finn

People, please understand that every time i go on a flight the engine fails, mixture level goes back and it takes a while to take it back up and, the two magnetos switches go off.

There was not a single flight that i had a normal landing! what should i do? it doesnt occur to any one as i can see.

I am not associated with Aerosoft but I would reinstall the plane.

If that does not work, copy your fsx.cfg file if you want, then delete the original and let FSX rebuild it.

This will help eliminate any problems being caused by changes you are other programs have made. Such as a joystick conflict setting.

I had this problem happen once.

2 dozen flights later still has not occured again.

@ roei

People, please understand that every time i go on a flight the engine fails, mixture level goes back and it takes a while to take it back up and, the two magnetos switches go off.

There was not a single flight that i had a normal landing! what should i do? it doesnt occur to any one as i can see.

I'm complete with you, roei. i have exactly the same issue.

First, there were some issues by reason of having Cold&Drak Mod installed. But that is ok now.

But your failures I have too.

Flying normally and then trying to overheat or freeze the engine and everything is correct and engine is getting off as it should.

BUT: Mixture and Magnetos switching to OFF!

And you can just reactivate if the "failure" (e.g engine overheat) is gone (e.g. cyl-head temp lower than 200 degree)

• Aerosoft
I am not associated with Aerosoft but I would reinstall the plane.

If that does not work, copy your fsx.cfg file if you want, then delete the original and let FSX rebuild it.

This will help eliminate any problems being caused by changes you are other programs have made. Such as a joystick conflict setting.

I had this problem happen once.

2 dozen flights later still has not occured again.

Having FSX rebuild the FSX.cfg is not a bad idea idea. Assuming there is no user started problem, Roei has something in his sim that causes this and it's nearly impossible to figure out what it is. We build and test add-ons on a clean FSX because that's the only thing we can guarantee full compliance with. And we are pretty sure it works on a clean FSX, seeing the many customers who have no problem.

• Aerosoft

Roei, you have not yet answered to my question if you have the same problems with the carb heater on. Please try that. I still got the idea the aircraft is behaving correctly to the conditions it is encountering.

Second... are you using online weather? or a weather addon? We have seen before that these can send strange temperatures into the sim (we believe because F and C are mixed up.)

Lastly... if you comment out the last 4 lines of the panel.cfg (just add // in front of them) the failure conditions should be removed. If you try that we might identify exactly what section does not work.

Hi Roei

Try this approach:

-Start the engine

-Carb heater On (the large silvery lever with a ball right between Your virtual legs)

-Mixture should be full forward

-Propeller crancked to max RPM

-Now only apply power until manifoldpressure is just below 40"Hg (just below the start of the red arc on the MAP gauge)

You should still have enough power for take off.

After take off climb at 170 mph or above.

- Reduce Propeller RPM to 2100 -2300 RPM

Keep an eye on both the Oil temperature (below the red arc) and the CHT (never above 450°F)

Assure that no gauge are within any red zones.

This way no failure should occur.

Now when You have been flying happy around for a while:

-Turn off the Carb. heater.

Check that the aircraft still will fly for a while.

Finn