Some perspectives from a current CRJ pilot

CVG99

Hello,

I am a current FO on the CRJ series of aircraft and wanted to discuses my experience with this addon in hopes of providing feedback that can allow the developer to better their already good simulation of the aircraft.

The following takeaways were made from conducting the Safety Check to Takeoff.

- I find it puzzling that the generator switches are in the Auto position for a cold and dark aircraft. I have not seen this in the real plane, as the only time these switches are Auto is when an engine or the APU is running. Additionally, the only time we leave the APU generator switch set to Auto is when we shut down the APU after takeoff. The switch stays selected to Auto for when the APU is restarted. 

- When turning off hydraulic pumps in the real aircraft, there is a longer period of time between shutting the pump off and receiving a HYD [ ] LO PRESS EICAS message. The EICAS message seems to be tied to the switch position, because even with no source of AC power, selecting Hydraulic Pump 3A On and then back to Off displays no change in hydraulic pressure on the hydraulic synoptic page, yet the EICAS still triggers a HYD 3 LO PRESS message. This same message disappears from ED1 when 3A is selected to On with no AC power, even though the hydraulic synoptic page displays no change in hydraulic pressure in the respective hydraulic system. 

- When conducting the RA Test on the right side, the barber pole and '50 ft' are permanently displayed on the PFD. This functionality appears to be completely broken. Additionally, the 'Push Set Off' button on the Speed Refs Switch doesn't work on the right side. V Speeds are therefore permanently invisible and unable to be set from the right. 

-The PFD representation is extremely out of proportion compared to the real aircraft. The attitude indicator is slightly too small, I find this to be very obvious after spending time behind the controls of the real plane. There is also something about the colors of the CRT screens and the graphics displayed on them that feels very off. It is almost as if lots of the lines on things such as the engine gauges, MFD map, and so on are way too thin. The coloration of the screens feels way too blue instead of black compared to the real aircraft. I would encourage the developers to check the colors of the various text displayed on the displays compared to the real plane - Many of the colors are much too dark and saturated, and the font used feels slightly too thin just as many of the other lines/vectors on the displays do as mentioned above. This is the biggest thing that takes away from immersion with this addon. The presentation of the displays needs a great deal of work, and the same comments above apply to the FMS and the clocks (The displays are way too blue compared to the real airplane).

- On the address panel, if I press 'PA' in the real plane, give my before takeoff announcement, and then press 'Call' to verify with my lead flight attendant that the cabin is secure, PA should automatically shut off and not be illuminated. Additionally, 'Call' should lose illumination when I change the knob on my ACP from PA to VHF 1, VHF 2, or INT SVC. The 'Chime' Button should trigger a HIGH LOW cabin chime as well, something that this addon does not do. 

- The stabilizer trim is extremely oversensitive. It does not move anywhere near as fast when depressed in the real airplane. I also notice that when continuously holding down the trim, a trim aural warning is not triggered. Additionally, the stabilizer trim moves in .2 increments, not .1 increments. A setting of 7.7, for example, should not be possible. 

- Did the CRJ this addon was modeled off of not include a jumpseat? I also notice there are no observer headset jacks behind the FO's Circuit Breaker Panel. 

These are the main issues I have found when conducting a quick startup and taxi-out that I hope can be addressed in the future. This addon has solid potential and it seems as though the groundwork already exists for a great simulation. Hopefully this can all be addressed as resources are returned to the CRJ from the ATR.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

On 7/18/2023 at 8:07 AM, CVG99 said:

- I find it puzzling that the generator switches are in the Auto position for a cold and dark aircraft. I have not seen this in the real plane, as the only time these switches are Auto is when an engine or the APU is running. Additionally, the only time we leave the APU generator switch set to Auto is when we shut down the APU after takeoff. The switch stays selected to Auto for when the APU is restarted. 

<...>

- The stabilizer trim is extremely oversensitive. It does not move anywhere near as fast when depressed in the real airplane. I also notice that when continuously holding down the trim, a trim aural warning is not triggered. Additionally, the stabilizer trim moves in .2 increments, not .1 increments. A setting of 7.7, for example, should not be possible. 

Can be operator specific. Any chance you or your operator flew the 100/200 before? It could be a leftover from that. Our CRJ900 FCOM Vol.2 states all GEN switches should be in Auto during the Originating Check, but that Normal Procedures section can be operator specific as well.

I'm not sure if I understand your trim comment correct. But the trim in the real plane is definitely capable of setting trim to 7.7 and moving in 0.1 increments. If you'd like I can PM you some pictures of odd numbered trim settings like 9.1, 6.7 etc. This may be some technical difference in your operators fleet though.

The PFD stuff was mentioned long, long ago, with visual comparison to the real thing. AS stated back then they had no intention to change anything there. I assume that stand has not changed, but who knows. In general, and in my admittedly pessimistic view, I would not hold your breath for an update despite how many times it is said they are working on it.

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, CRJay said:

Can be operator specific. Any chance you or your operator flew the 100/200 before? It could be a leftover from that. Our CRJ900 FCOM Vol.2 states all GEN switches should be in Auto during the Originating Check, but that Normal Procedures section can be operator specific as well.

I'm not sure if I understand your trim comment correct. But the trim in the real plane is definitely capable of setting trim to 7.7 and moving in 0.1 increments. If you'd like I can PM you some pictures of odd numbered trim settings like 9.1, 6.7 etc. This may be some technical difference in your operators fleet though.

The PFD stuff was mentioned long, long ago, with visual comparison to the real thing. AS stated back then they had no intention to change anything there. I assume that stand has not changed, but who knows. In general, and in my admittedly pessimistic view, I would not hold your breath for an update despite how many times it is said they are working on it.

I stand corrected, you are right that the 700 and 900 can do .1 increments of trim. 200 is only .2 increments.

I really hope that they change their mind on the PFD and displays. So much of this hobby revolves around suspension of disbelief, and part of me hurts every time I see the bright blue displays and off colored fonts in this thing. It’s really enough to take me out of the moment… something that you spend about every day staring at - Even if it looks just a little bit off, you’re definitely going to notice. 

FWIW, SOP at my company is gens left on auto in the 7/900. 

CRJ FO here as well. I’ve just recently picked up this plane in the sim and am pretty pleased with most things.

One thing I found, however, is that managing descents is complicated in the sim due to a difference I’m seeing in the AFCS system. Generally once we get the flashing “ALTS CAP” on the FMA, we’ll be able to dial in the next step down/missed approach/etc altitude. In the sim if you try this before “ALTS CAP” stops flashing and “ALTS” mode captures (which takes waaaay too long by the way), dialing in a new altitude immediately engages alt hold at your current altitude (not at the preselect altitude), so you have to re-select VS mode and dial your VS rate In again, wait for the plane to actually capture the preselected altitude then dial in a new altitude preselect. This especially makes non-precision approaches difficult. I’d love to see that fixed. 

A small wish list item is being able to input and draw a radial to a fix on from the fix page on the FMS. I see that you can draw a distance ring around a fix which is great, just not a radial. We use them all the time for to help with complex single engine departure procedures. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm also a real-world CRJ Captain / LCA (200,700,900) pilot with over 16K hours in type. At my airline in the U.S. (SkyWest) we always leave the GEN switches in AUTO for normal ops. Don't assume that every operator configures the aircraft the same for line-ops. Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/21/2023 at 8:53 AM, CRJay said:

The PFD stuff was mentioned long, long ago, with visual comparison to the real thing. AS stated back then they had no intention to change anything there.

In VR and night it's almost impossible to handle the aircraft. The altitude number is so small and hard to focus on and when turning the alt knob you don't know what the altitude is until you stop turning the knob, zoom in, and then correcting and keep turning the knob, zoom in, turning the knob.... This consumes so much time and effort that you actually tisk to loose control in stressed and intensive parts of the flight.

Just change the font!

• Like 2