Are hydraulic SOVs modeled?

Graham Conway

Hi is it possible to close the hydraulic SOVs? 

I try to use the guarded L HYD SOV switch. When I click it, it seems to raise the guard cover. But i can't find a way to operate the switch. This is with both engines running. 

Great simulation. Thanks for creating this. 

58 minutes ago, Graham Conway said:

Hi is it possible to close the hydraulic SOVs? 

I try to use the guarded L HYD SOV switch. When I click it, it seems to raise the guard cover. But i can't find a way to operate the switch. This is with both engines running. 

Great simulation. Thanks for creating this. 

Probably not; the hydraulic system can still operate control surfaces even with the hydraulic pumps switched off. I would be surprised if the Hydraulic SOV is even modelled to do anything to the hydraulic "system". Let alone actually stop the control surfaces from moving.

EDIT: I stand corrected, the SOV buttons can be clicked but they're a bit awkward to reach. Try moving the camera angle:

Please login to display this image.

It seems to partially work. Shown here is the aircraft with full reversers and the control column full up and right (rudder full left):

With SOV's open:

With SOV's closed:

On 6/11/2023 at 6:13 PM, amahran said:

Probably not; the hydraulic system can still operate control surfaces even with the hydraulic pumps switched off. I would be surprised if the Hydraulic SOV is even modelled to do anything to the hydraulic "system". Let alone actually stop the control surfaces from moving.

EDIT: I stand corrected, the SOV buttons can be clicked but they're a bit awkward to reach. Try moving the camera angle:

It seems to partially work. Shown here is the aircraft with full reversers and the control column full up and right (rudder full left):

With SOV's open:

With SOV's closed:

Nothing is wrong in the photo, in the real CRJ you can move the flight surfaces without hydraulic power, after all the surfaces are connected with cables to the yoke and pedals, you can manually move the PCUs without hydraulic power, obviously you will have to apply much more force for this on the flight controls.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

CRJ doesn't have manual reversion. There's no mention about it in FCOM, and googling various aviation resources confirms this. Indeed, this is the reason why it has so many hydraulic systems and pumps for a relatively small airliner:

"Rudder, elevators and ailerons are powered by more than one hydraulic system to prevent loss of critical flight controls".

So the flight control system is just incorrectly modeled in Aerosoft CRJ.